The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• Kinda strange (or maybe not) that Crysis has 0 points because it was a huge deal back in 2007.

But I understand that this game really isn't anything to write home about, it was always a bit overrated.

It also got a remaster this year but nobody talked about it.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Isn't this a tie for 20th place?

It wasn't a one-to-one tie. Lost Planet had a #2 vote and one Honorable Mention. Eternal Sonata had a #1 vote.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

Kinda strange (or maybe not) that Crysis has 0 points because it was a huge deal back in 2007.

But I understand that this game really isn't anything to write home about, it was always a bit overrated.

It also got a remaster this year but nobody talked about it.

IMO, Crysis was borderline unplayable by most in 2007. I recall most outlets suggesting they could barely even play it for review. When they could get it to run, it didn't really look any better than, say, COD4 (if not worse).

I'll be honest, I never finished Crysis but I do think the sandbox freedom is a bit underrated. I think the term sandbox gets thrown around a lot but if you strip it down and bring it back to it's roots and imagine a kid on a playground. They can play on the jungle gym that the city built or they can play in the sandbox. Night and day. One is a canvas and one has pre-made obstacles. Crysis truly is a sandbox and it's a rewarding game depending on how much imagination and creative input you yourself put into it. But when the game tries to be structured, it isn't great. Narrative is weak, cutscenes are boring, gunplay is a bit samey.

So despite all of the ambition and underrated elements of Crysis, all of that becomes extremely muted in a market oversaturated by a million open world games. So even a remaster of a one of a kind game is almost unnoticeable when it looks like everything else at a glance.

--

So in regards to it's notoriety around here. Well... it was basically unplayable in 2007. It was mostly still unplayable on my top-of-the-line gaming PC in 2011 due to Crysis having bad GPU optimization. AND now in it's remastered state in 2021, it's still hard to make anybody care.

Bad luck but those who love it at least can appreciate it in their own way.

• @dipset I agree with you in the sandbox part but the problem is only a few hours in and it ditches that concept and turns into your typical scripted linear shooter.

• I just want to admit my faux pas. I forgot to include Mass Effect in my top 4. OOF

1: Bioshock
    2: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    3: Mario Galaxy
    4: Portal

HM:
    Rock Band
    Uncharted
    Puzzle Quest
    Skate

• Btw, I'm not submitting the list to the Community Showcase. If anyone would like to do the honors: I have the list of games here

• @shoulderguy I normally would take some (or all) of my post to make mention of it, however, my submission for this month has already been written up and the topic I've chosen has no room for me to squeeze it in. I might be able to say something next month (if no one does for this coming Showcase), but I'm unsure right now.

• Unfortunately I will not be able to submit it to Community Showcase (this or next). But I can submit it to December's Q&A if nobody will decide to use their Community Showcase slot.

• @Brannox @ffff0 I appreciate it but I'd rather see it in this months Community Showcase. So I'll go ahead and submit it.

• Brandon and Brad's reactions to our top 20 here:

Youtube Video – [20:56..]

• To Brandon's point, Rock Band was a super hard cut for me. I wanted to nominate it but couldn't justify it. Due to some random issue with maybe FCC or something to do with parts manufacturing (I can't remember), the worldwide release was botched and delayed to some indefinite date at the last minute. So it didn't release in Canada when it was supposed to.

My parents being the Saint's that they are, went Christmas shopping in the US and bought Rock Band for me. I didn't even have a PS3 then so I never would've expected to get Rock Band, even if it did release. They got me a PS3 for my birthday and Rock Band for Christmas. It was such a cool Christmas because we brought it to a friends house and everybody was playing and having a blast. This was a solid few months before the zeitgeist hit when the game formally released.

2007 was awesome!