The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• Assassins Creed was fine for its time and refreshing thanks to its crusades time period and fresh settings like Jerusalem and Damascus. The pure focus on assassinations is great too and is free from the filler and excess that plagued many of its successors. Yet the dryness of the game's characters and that whole Abstergo Industries twist were hugely disappointing. Assassins Creed didn't need the present day aesthetic and could've been far better had it been removed. I know I'm rather too critical about Ubisoft's games-probably because Jim Sterling has been hugely influential to my perspective of them, but even when I played it for the first time in 2007 it was unexceptional.

• When I scrubbed through 2007, surprisingly I couldn't put together more than 4 games I'd actually played so I skipped the vote. Just wanted to say I came to Assassin's Creed probably a year or so after launch and knew little about it other than a recommendation from a friend. Was very thrown off by the future setting, but it intrigued me, especially as the game inched closer to the end. I'm still incredibly impressed with what this series started as, which makes me all the more disappointed in what it became. II was a good follow-up, but I skipped on Revelations and Bloodlines, and waited until III came out which killed the franchise for me. While I no longer have much interest in playing them, I still hold the original in very high regard and don't understand when I see it put down in modern lists.

• FWIW, I loved the present day parts of Assassin’s Creed. It’s like grinding out a dungeon in a JRPG, beating that boss, then being rewarded with that sweet cutscene at the end.

Plus the info was so cryptic and I loved putting the pieces together when you explore the room and new info was hidden and trying to figure out who was holding me hostage. The sci-fi twist was out of left field and I was here for it.

• I’ve came to Assassin’s Creed late and played 1 and 2 trilogy back to back. A bit hard to me to separate 1 from others, but I’ve liked whole experience enough to get into the series, which I’m thankful for because now it’s one of my favorites. I agree that 1 has too much repetition, but it was a unique experience, so I still liked it.

• I was very excited for Assassins Creed before release but it was a huge letdown for me. The missions are so boring and repetitive.

It's still the only game i the series I've played. I do want to give the series another shot one of these days.

• I love this series, and the first AC has kept its magic in my mind in a pretty solid way. It was one of the prettiest games I had seen when it came out and the controls felt super slick. One of those first PS3 games for me so that's part of the experience as well: everything was just so new and spectacular. I loved the cities as well and the tight gameplay loop. Would be interesting to revisit this today.

• Just saying my top vote would have been galaxy

• 0_1636577772685_Skate.png

#18: Skate - 6 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (DIPSET)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Crepe)

Information

Release date: NA: September 14, PAL: September 28, AU: October 11
    Developer: EA Black Box
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I said this in a few posts before but 2007 was a magical time in middle school. Every single day the weather was nice, my friends and I were skateboarding before, during, and after school. We'd skate every single weekend and if it wasn't skating, we were mountain biking.

But if we weren't doing that, we were playing video games. And one of the top 2 video games we played was EA Skate. We'd literally play this game with our helmets on.

Now, this isn't all emotion and nostalgia. Skate was a mind-blowing game at the time. Hell, I think it's innovation is still pretty impressive and it's a shame we didn't have the SSD's back then to immediately reload to a session marker instantly.

The control scheme seems like an obvious point of innovation (which is was), but the open world design is still top notch and it's DNA is all over games like Forza Horizon 5. The process of skating through an open world and hitting any spot in sight, but then that spot suddenly gives you a high score to beat. So then you pause whatever you were doing and spend a deal of time just getting a high score at that spot is really cool. It's design is so accessible because you can have seamless unstructured and structured fun depending on your playstyle. From point A to point B you might do a downhill race, film a video part, hit a spot for a high score, fuck with security guards, or just simply have whatever fun you want.

Very few games by today's standards give you a worthwhile and fun experience from A --> B where fun is found anywhere. I can name exactly two other series: GTA and Forza Horizon. That's it.

--

Beyond game design, there is just so much love and attention to skateboarding. Sure, you use official brands which is nice, but it's awesome to see photographer Atiba Jefferson in the game working for Thrasher Magazine in context of your avatars come up as a pro. The developers are from Vancouver and they were directly integrated with skate culture and it's beyond obvious. San Vanelona is a mash up of San Fran, Vancouver, and LA and it's evident and works on all levels. Especially the San Fran downhill areas (aka The Res).

--

Skate 2 is the better game but this was the original. I recently went back to replay it and my only gripe is how slow reloading a session marker is. That is a limitation of the PS3 / 360 and not of the game itself. Things load a lot better in Skate 2 and 3 but they still aren't instant. However, revisiting Skate 1 is worthwhile because of the open world and the overall progression as a skate rat to full sponsorship and getting magazine covers.

--

I can't describe how cool it was to see my favourite pros all in this intro video. Or seeing them skate around the open world. This game is magical and was a part of a magical time in my life.

Youtube Video

• I had pretty much gotten out of the phase of wanting to play skating games and any interest surrounding skating as a whole by the time Skate came out, and said interest was only linked into enjoying the X-Games which only lasted a few more years after that. The only skating game I have any memory of is one of the Tony Hawk games way back in the day, so any reference I have to Skate is not in the game itself, but rather how it's reached cult status for a comeback from the fans and how EA has finally relented in greenlighting a new one. I don't think I'll ever revisit skating games, regardless of franchise, because my interest in the entire culture/sport have long been over, so Skate will be one of the franchises I'll keep in the "forever passed by" section of my personal gaming history.

• Although I didn't get the chance to play SKATE in 2007, booting it up on Game Pass this year and experiencing it for the first time was a real pleasure. I always loved SKATE for its leisurely and undemanding pace and the original SKATE was cool as can be. Yes SKATE 2 and SKATE 3 had far more charisma and depth but SKATE is fantastic, doubly so for a new skateboarding game in 2007 away from the tiring THPS franchise.

• 0_1636664426177_Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney − Justice for All.png

#17: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All - 7 points

Votes

#2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (NeoCweeny, Tearju Engi)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Sentinel Beach, DemonPirate)

Information

Release date: NA: January 16, EU: March 16, AU: September 6
    Developer: Capcom Production Studio 4
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Adventure, visual novel
    Platform(s): Game Boy Advance, PC, Nintendo DS, Wii, Android, iOS, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Neat! I only played the original trilogy a year ago or something on PS4 and the games really had some wonderful characters and good and bonkers cases. It was great to see them unfold.

• I had the weird sensation of deja vu about an Ace Attorney appearing around this time on a Countdown and sure enough it was in fact roughly the same spot in our 2010 list. Looking at my comment then, it's perfectly applicable here, so instead of trying to wrestle with coming up with a new comment when an old one will suffice:

Ace Attorney is one of those franchises that sound cool gameplay wise in solving cases and deductive reasoning, but there's just something about it that doesn't make me feel excited to try it. Can't put my finger on it, though I do respect it.

• I haven't played the third game yet which is also a 2007 game. Many people say that the third is the best but I don't know.

The final episode of Justice For All is just so damn good though. It's the main reason why this game is in my top 4.

• Never played one of these games as I never had a DS. I love courtroom melodrama but I doubt I will bring myself to play these games anytime soon.

• I feel like I say the same thing every time this series pops up, but it's worth repeating: these games are some of the most delightful you'll ever experience!

The writing (and localization) is some of the very best in the industry in my opinion, genuinely funny. And for those who may be worried about that, there is zero "anime bullshit" in there, which is refreshing.

The puzzles/plots are expertly crafted, even when you think you've figured who the real culprit is, chances are there's still a twist somewhere that will surprise you.

If you have even the slightest interest in the series I strongly encourage you to give them a shot, you won't regret it.

• I've played Phoenix Wright before but it's not a series I'm properly invested in. They are cool games and have some style but if I want engaging courtroom drama Danganronpa has me covered.

• There's an Ace Attorney game on my list, it's just not that one ;)

• 0_1636751075110_The_Witcher.jpg

#16: The Witcher - 7 points

Votes

#2: 0
    #3: 1 (ffff0)
    #4: 1 (kindiman)
    HM: 2 (NeoCweeny, Sheria)

Information

Release date: EU: October 26, NA: October 30, AU: November 9
    Developer: CD Projekt Red
    Publisher: Atari (retail), CD Projekt