The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• I feel like I say the same thing every time this series pops up, but it's worth repeating: these games are some of the most delightful you'll ever experience!

The writing (and localization) is some of the very best in the industry in my opinion, genuinely funny. And for those who may be worried about that, there is zero "anime bullshit" in there, which is refreshing.

The puzzles/plots are expertly crafted, even when you think you've figured who the real culprit is, chances are there's still a twist somewhere that will surprise you.

If you have even the slightest interest in the series I strongly encourage you to give them a shot, you won't regret it.

• I've played Phoenix Wright before but it's not a series I'm properly invested in. They are cool games and have some style but if I want engaging courtroom drama Danganronpa has me covered.

• There's an Ace Attorney game on my list, it's just not that one ;)

• 0_1636751075110_The_Witcher.jpg

#16: The Witcher - 7 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (ffff0)
    #4: 1 (kindiman)
    HM: 2 (NeoCweeny, Sheria)

Information

Release date: EU: October 26, NA: October 30, AU: November 9
    Developer: CD Projekt Red
    Publisher: Atari (retail), CD Projekt
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PC, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Oh, the original Witcher! I know it was already an established property as a book series before this game, but this is just yet ANOTHER example of 2007 being the year where so many beloved franchises got their start. With the explosion of popularity for the franchise post Witcher III, I'm not clear on how easy/approachable it is to play today, but wow. I just can't get over how WILD 2007 was/is.

• All I remember of Witcher 1 is that I immediately uninstalled it after I got to the first real combat scenario. It's just too janky for me.

• I’ve played The Witcher 1 & 2 in 2012. And while the first game was already old at that time, I’ve still enjoyed it as far as I remember. Can’t really explain why I’ve played it at 3rd place (I’ve long forgot what I liked there), but it felt right.

• I really like the original Witcher and it still remains my favourite in the series.

• I started playing the Witcher for this list. I'm liking it so far except for the combat, it's very weird.

I'm not so far in but it already has me hooked.

• Okay I’m super happy The Witcher made the list because it’s an incredible game. It was my last and hardest cut but even though it wasn’t in my top 8, it’s still a GOTY contender in my eyes.

It’s actually my favourite Witcher game because it has such an awesome self contained plot and I loved the scenario of a small handful of locales telling an extremely rich and centralized story.

Combat is actually solid. The rhythm game sword fighting is kinda fun tbh. It’s not super stimulating but it gets the job done.

But I recommend anybody to try TW1 for one of the best narratives in gaming. The amount of choice makes it unique to gaming and the choices you do make aren’t on some heightened epic scale but they are meaningful within the scale of the story the game is telling.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

I really like the original Witcher and it still remains my favourite in the series.

Original witcher was actually pretty bad thanks to combat. it was CDPR first game and they couldnot make a good gameplay.

but then they still have yet to make a good game.

• @b-cell said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

@sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

I really like the original Witcher and it still remains my favourite in the series.

Original witcher was actually pretty bad thanks to combat. it was CDPR first game and they couldnot make a good gameplay.

The combat is my favourite, mostly because it's timed & tactful over having full control. It ultimately made it more of an RPG.

@b-cell said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

The combat is my favourite, mostly because it's timed & tactful over having full control. It ultimately made it more of an RPG.

Yeah the combat in TW2 & 3 is fine, but I wouldn’t die on the hill claiming they are so far superior to TW1. It’s a rhythm game in my eyes. It isn’t janky because it works as intended. It’s just weird.

I also think the combat shouldn’t be defined by button clicks. TW1 was the first game in the series to add the series staple of Witcher potions and battle prep which I also consider to be a part of the combat system and that attribute makes it a well rounded RPG game overall.

• I tried Ace Attorney a year ago on 3DS emu. It was fun but I couldn't understand all the love for it. Also it was so cheesy.

• 0_1636837248322_Pokemon Diamond & Pearl.jpg

#15: Pokémon Diamond & Pearl - 7 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (brunojoey)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Axel)
    HM: 1 (Shoulderguy)

Information

Release date: NA: April 22, AU: June 21, EU: July 27
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo, The Pokémon Company
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

@b-cell said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

The best thing imo out of witcher series is netflix series starting henry cavill.
    entire witcher (game) series is excellent lore, badly executed and terrible gameplay, no idea how come CDPR get pass (post cyberpunk actually) for making bad gameplay and they always failed at making games.

TW1 is worst of all, 2 is barely ok, 3 is ubisoft open world game. cyberpunk is broken GTA game with some Deus Ex vibe that is poorly implemented.

• Of the 16 games I've played from 2007, Pokemon Diamond is 15th on my list.

As a Pokemon fan growing up, I really enjoy the first three gens, but Diamond/Pearl introduced so much that I disliked, that I haven't gone back to Pokemon games since. The 3D models are (to me) ugly as can be, the balancing is off by a WIDE margin (as in there are TWO, that's right, TWO fire type evolutions: Chimchar and Ponyta AND, on top of that, the level increases from town to town didn't feel right to the point you need to have a pretty high level team JUST to get the eighth badge), the HM usage is INFURIATING with Fog, the areas aren't really inspiring, and many of the functions you can do on the bottom screen just felt pointless.

And ever since, Pokemon has... evolved (sorry)... in a way I just have no interest in.

• @b-cell

Still not 100% sure if you are a troll, but I am 100% sure that during the GT Forums days, you lauded The Witcher II as one of the best RPGs of all time, so idk where "barely okay" comes from.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

@b-cell

Still not 100% sure if you are a troll

In the beginning I thought he was but maybe he just is like that.

He's English is a lot better nowadays.

• @b-cell said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!:

entire witcher (game) series is excellent lore, badly executed and terrible gameplay, no idea how come CDPR get pass (post cyberpunk actually) for making bad gameplay and they always failed at making games.

Maybe you'll be surprised, but many people actually enjoy these games, even Cyberpunk 2077 (me included). There isn't a single game that caters to everyone, so every title will be loved and hated by someone. If you don't enjoy CDPR's games - that's fine, but don't be surprised that others do. And if you think that something is "objectively" bad, you need to be more specific and bring some arguments - otherwise you'll hardly convince anyone.