The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• I have the results of the EZA Community's 2007 GOTY. Thanks to everyone who submitted a list. There was 21 participants and 52 different games received at least one vote.

Let's start the countdown!

• 0_1636413932843_Eternal_Sonata.jpg

#20: Eternal Sonata - 5 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: September 17, EU: October 19, AU: November 15
    Developer: tri-Crescendo
    Publisher: Bandai Namco
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Eternal Sonata is really good. The combat and visuals are great. But oh my GOD the talking. It never ends.

• I can't speak to Eternal Sonata beyond when remembering I first heard about the title and thinking, "...uh....what?" and I've never felt any reason to learn anything about it in the last close-to-15 years.. But as it pertains to our countdown, it feels good that it made it for being a GOTY. Those are the kinds of lone votes I like to see: If it's only going to get a single vote, it should be the best to the voter.

As far as the Countdown itself, it bums me out not enough voters/games were able to establish a top 25, as opposed to the top 20 we're getting. 2007 as a whole is one of (and dependent upon your view, THE) year where so many great games came out. So I have the expectation this is going to be a list where games that don't make it are going to be befuddling heartbreakers.

• I heard of this game a couple times while I was looking for PS3 games recommendations. Can't really say much about it other than it looks pretty neat.

• Of note, Eternal Sonata has 2-player coop so you can assign different characters to each player. Played through it with my wife years ago and it was great fun.

• I remember Electric Playground and GameTrailers covering this game a lot back in the day. I never played it though. I don't even think I was into JRPGs back then. I've heard of many people who swear by it though.

• I remember wanting to but this back in the day but never happened and some point forgot about this game existence until now.

• I played the Eternal Sonata demo on Xbox 360 back then and it reminded me of Tales of Vesperia, which is one of my favorite games of 2008. I never played the full release but If it ever gets a rerelease on current-gen, I would check it out.

• 0_1636491343527_Assassin's_Creed.jpg

#19: Assassin's Creed - 6 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (ffff0, Sentinel Beach)
    HM: 2 (brunojoey, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: November 13, EU: November 16, AU: November 21
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, stealth
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• There are 16 games I've played from 2007, and Assassin's Creed I have in 13th place. I can't remember why, way back when, I gave it a shot, but it was one of the first games I played on the 360. I remember thinking going after and assassinating key targets was interesting, but I soon became tired of the world, plus I didn't know about the present day stuff, and I thought at the time it not being advertised was a major turn off to me. I felt absolutely irritated when I would get yanked out of the time period for a restrictive and uninteresting lore dump of being trapped in a bland and (relatively) small area with characters who all disliked each other where all you did was walk around and change the camera angles. If I had known at the time it was a split between two time periods with different characters, I may never would have tried it, and subsequently III, and IV: Black Flag (But hindsight being 20/20, who knows). To this day I contend there is not a SINGLE present day segment that's interesting and all are far outclassed by the various time periods these games are actually marketed around.

But back to the first AC: When I WAS able to hop back into being Altair, the more the game progressed, the less fun I had: Diving off large perches into bales of hay became routine instead of keeping it exciting, certain mission types like eavesdropping or flag collecting exposed the padding the game had, plus the major twist was a personal significant let down. Personally, I did not enjoy my overall time with the original (though, again, assassinations in themselves were by far the clear standout moments), and by the time it concluded where you could get Eagle Vision and see the secret messages as Desmond, I backed out to the Home screen, took it out of the disc drive, and gave it a buddy of mine, and I haven't revisited since, as I don't believe it holds up today, ESPECIALLY with the context of all the other entries the series has.

Looking back at the significant history and presence Assassin's Creed has in gaming at large today, I'm surprised this original was the impetus. To be clear: I feel SEVERAL Assassin's Creed games are better than this one for a variety of reasons, but I still hold a disconnect between how the original did well enough to inspire more creative and captivating ideas/time periods from the series, since I hold a "Meh" at best feeling towards it, both now and when I first played it over a decade ago.

This is just me, and it's clear it made enough of an impression to crack our countdown (and the aforementioned juggernaut it's become), so kudos to it. All of this being said, I have it ahead of three other games because one game (which I don't expect to see on this countdown) just didn't feel right on the platform it was on and the other two (one of which I DO expect to appear) are part of franchises I held/hold dear but were entries I felt were the first "Bad/Awful" games for their brands.

And with Assassin's Creed ONLY being 19th, it has me fascinated to see where the rest of the "1st of the Franchise" games that came out in 2007 will rank, if at all.

• I couldn't bring myself to add it to my list, but Assassin's Creed is one of the most ambitious and exciting games I have ever played in my entire life, and I don't think I'll ever play something as ambitious as it was ever again.

This demo from 2007 was on repeat when I was in middle-school:

Assassin's Creed: Full Mission - Commented by Jade Raymond
    Youtube Video

I'd show my friends this video and say things like "you can go a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e". When I finally played it, it was on my friends shiny new PS3 on his Dad's shiny new HDTV and my brain was shattered by how good it looked and how good the animations are.

The repetitive gameplay didn't matter to me. I felt the vision and I loved the experience. I should be playable on modern systems and it's a travesty it isn't.

• Assassins Creed was fine for its time and refreshing thanks to its crusades time period and fresh settings like Jerusalem and Damascus. The pure focus on assassinations is great too and is free from the filler and excess that plagued many of its successors. Yet the dryness of the game's characters and that whole Abstergo Industries twist were hugely disappointing. Assassins Creed didn't need the present day aesthetic and could've been far better had it been removed. I know I'm rather too critical about Ubisoft's games-probably because Jim Sterling has been hugely influential to my perspective of them, but even when I played it for the first time in 2007 it was unexceptional.

• When I scrubbed through 2007, surprisingly I couldn't put together more than 4 games I'd actually played so I skipped the vote. Just wanted to say I came to Assassin's Creed probably a year or so after launch and knew little about it other than a recommendation from a friend. Was very thrown off by the future setting, but it intrigued me, especially as the game inched closer to the end. I'm still incredibly impressed with what this series started as, which makes me all the more disappointed in what it became. II was a good follow-up, but I skipped on Revelations and Bloodlines, and waited until III came out which killed the franchise for me. While I no longer have much interest in playing them, I still hold the original in very high regard and don't understand when I see it put down in modern lists.

• FWIW, I loved the present day parts of Assassin’s Creed. It’s like grinding out a dungeon in a JRPG, beating that boss, then being rewarded with that sweet cutscene at the end.

Plus the info was so cryptic and I loved putting the pieces together when you explore the room and new info was hidden and trying to figure out who was holding me hostage. The sci-fi twist was out of left field and I was here for it.

• I’ve came to Assassin’s Creed late and played 1 and 2 trilogy back to back. A bit hard to me to separate 1 from others, but I’ve liked whole experience enough to get into the series, which I’m thankful for because now it’s one of my favorites. I agree that 1 has too much repetition, but it was a unique experience, so I still liked it.

• I was very excited for Assassins Creed before release but it was a huge letdown for me. The missions are so boring and repetitive.

It's still the only game i the series I've played. I do want to give the series another shot one of these days.

• I love this series, and the first AC has kept its magic in my mind in a pretty solid way. It was one of the prettiest games I had seen when it came out and the controls felt super slick. One of those first PS3 games for me so that's part of the experience as well: everything was just so new and spectacular. I loved the cities as well and the tight gameplay loop. Would be interesting to revisit this today.

• Just saying my top vote would have been galaxy