The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• Justice For All might be the weakest of the Trilogy when compared to other two especially when 1st game got a new case when it was released here and takes advantage of DS.
    But even with only 4 cases the last one is easily one of the best cases.
    And cases also started to be more beefier excluding 1st case of each game. Capcom has many characters that are basically a stereotype but they are so well presented. Might not vibe with everyone but they are fun.

• So this is where the The Orange Box vs individual games really tore me apart. I love all three of those (new) games in the package but there is only so much space for nominations and I had to give it to TF2.

TF2 is in my Top 5 all time multiplayer shooter games (Halo 3, Warhawk, SOCOM II, TF2, TLOU). I haven't played it since the F2P era around 2011 or 2012 when it started to get a bit crazy with cosmetics and community maps, etc, but the core gameplay here is ridiculously great.

In fact, the gameplay is so fantastic and mostly unmatched in it's class balance and creativity that I think a TF3 would be a very welcome addition to the F2P FPS market. The game developed some meta's over time, but it still allowed you a sandbox experience where each class is a set of uniform parameter's, but the player can take these classes and get creative with the way they played them.

For example, a Spy can be both a sneaky camper who hangs out in quiet parts of the map OR they could be aggressive parasites, head hunting right in the middle of the main battle.

Map design was pretty fantastic in the vanilla game but I never dove too far into the PC experience with all of the mods and community maps (and hats), but there is such a great variety between the symmetrical tight hyper-fast maps and the BIG asymmetrical strategic ones.

--

Although it's just an HM on my list, this is definitely a GOTY-contender. I just had to make concessions, but this is one of the best games ever made IMO.

• 0_1637266424655_Ratchet_&_Clank_Future_Tools_of_Destruction.png

#9: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 17 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Brannox, DemonPirate)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (brunojoey)
    HM: 5 (Sentinel Beach, JDINCINERATOR, Nimbat1003, DIPSET, Scotty)

Information

Release date: NA: October 23, EU: November 9, AU: November 15
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platform, action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• My first vote appearance! Pleasantly surprised to see Tools of Destruction make the countdown, and I figured it would when Eternal Sonata's one vote is a GOTY, so I knew since this is my 2007 Game of the Year, someone else voted for it too.

For a long while, the 2016 reboot was my favorite Ratchet & Clank, and for 2007 as a whole, the game that got my second place vote (which we should see later) was my top pick. But around April of this year, I wanted to replay most of the entire R&C franchise (which, funnily enough, one of the two games I don't play came out in 2007 too and I'll give my... critiques to put it VERY lightly... about it once the countdown is over) to prepare for Rift Apart. Now, I know so. Many. Fans. all feel A Crack in Time is the best, and fair play to all and the game itself as it's solid, but for me, there's so much about Tools of Destruction I enjoy and feel it does different where ACiT moves away from and is a little more formulaic.

When I replayed the whole series, I got back to Tools of Destruction, and just rediscovered my love for this specific game to the point it's catapulted to being by ninth favorite game of ALL TIME. This was the first game I ever got for the PS3, as I first got the console when I graduated high school (so the PS3 was already on the market for a few years). I just remember after the opening scene and you can first control Ratchet, I didn't, because I stared slackjawed at the screen because the game looks so pretty, and it graphically holds up TODAY, 14 YEARS after it came out.

But beyond graphics and fantastic effects, Tools of Destruction introduced so much into the R&C series many love to this day. This game was the first to posit where Ratchet came from and the greater mystery of what happened to the Lombax race (granted, everyone seems to forget about Angela, who is a Lombax from Going Commando, and both she and the Bogon galaxy are never outwardly referenced since. It's weird). This is also the game where you're first introduced to the subplot of the robot pirates, and they're a delight to interact with, from ambushing you when flying to a new planet, going through their HQ on Ardolis, fighting past their entrenched defenses on the Kreeli Comet which houses the galaxy's supercomputer, and assaulting their fleet right before the climax against Cragmite Emperor Percival Tachyon.

Speaking of which, he's delightfully annoying, ludicrous, and gives you that shade of wanting to annihilate him that he does better than many villains. As you go across the galaxy and see the outcomes of his deeds, the planets and locations are all memorable because of the unique ideas and/or set-pieces they hold.

Jasindu, home of the small Kerchu, where the small species builds MASSIVE machinery and kills trespassers on site and culminates fighting a HUGE mech where halfway through you're flipped upside down and you have to ride a grindrail just to get to the fight. Zordoom Prison is a classic prison break, as you have to go rescue an ally named Talwyn who you meet after a couple of locations and it's so combat heavy and crazy. The aforementioned Ardolis where you have to infiltrate the Pirate's HQ and you can come back once you get a holo-disguise and loot their treasure with a dance mini-game. Fastoon, home of the Lombaxes of old where when you first show up, it's pretty deserted and you can find your knight-rider-esque ship, the Aphelion, and when you come back for the climax, Tachyon has control of it and the game's McGuffin, the Dimensionator, to rule the galaxy. And by FAR (for me) the most fun and creative place, Planet Mukow which houses the IFF: The Imperial Fight Festival, which is part obstacle course of death modeled after a state fair including a challenging platforming section in the form of a Ferris Wheel and part coliseum, which almost all R&C games have to fight rounds and bosses with special modifiers and challenges.

As most of the places are memorable, so too are the weaponry. Like I said above, Tools of Destruction introduced a lot, and this is the first time fan favorites, the Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon appear. But there are other unique games as well like the Mag-Net Launcher, the Sixaxis needed Tornado Launcher, the Razor Claws to give melee a major edge (sorry), and this entry's RYNO, the RYNO IV, is super powerful, and to get it, you have to find RYNO plans across the galaxy and bring them to the Smuggler, who ALSO makes his first appearance as well.

This post got out of hand, and I could go significantly longer, but I'll hold off here and end with the customary digital high-fives and shoutouts to my fellow voters: @Sentinel-Beach, @JDINCINERATOR, @Nimbat1003, @DIPSET, @Scotty, @brunojoey, and a fist-bump and thumbs up to @DemonPirate!

• Like @Brannox says—shout out to the fellow voters on R&C.

I feel like we take this series for granted nowadays, but Tools of Destruction is one of those games that really pushes a series forward and uses the new hardware in such a way that you see it on screen and feel it in your hands.

Every new weapon felt like it was utilizing that sweet Cell Processor with crazy FX and destruction at any given moment. It was so fun to use the Sixaxis motion controls for some weapons. The disco ball weapon is an all timer in my eyes.

It's just the best Ratchet & Clank game and undeniably the most ambitious one. This really blew my damn mind when I played it and I felt lucky to be able to play these crazy next-gen experiences that weren't possible before.

• Made it to top ten let's go!

I recall Tools of Destruction being one of the first games I was beyond captivated by. It oozed creativity and imagination. As @Brannox stated above, it introduced many mainstays in the series that are taken for granted. Seriously need to replay it someday.

Nitpick, but I hate the NA name, haha. I get it but adding "future" is still unnecessary to me :)

• Tools of Destruction was another disappointment for me. I love the PS2 Ratchet trilogy but this one completely changed the tone and humor of the series into something more generic.

Gameplay wise it was nothing special and very easy. I still think it's a good game but it changed the series for the worst. I think the only game that came close to being as good as the PS2 trilogy is A Crack in Time.

• Nice. Tools of Destruction came bundled with my PS3 when I bought the console (also with the original Uncharted, so that was a great package all in all!). And damn, did the game look phenomenal with the HD graphics or what! A very enjoyable game otherwise as well, an easy HM this time around.

• 0_1637351303008_Gow2-2.jpg

#8: God of War II - 20 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Nimbat1003, Scotty)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Brannox)
    HM: 3 (brunojoey, DIPSET, bam541)

Information

Release date: NA: March 13, EU: April 27, AU: May 3
    Developer: Santa Monica Studio
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• God of War II is a really solid game and entry in the franchise, and the hook of traveling back in time to undo the betrayal at the start was interesting. There are some memorable fights/moments like fighting the Colossus of Rhodes, moving the Steeds of Time, fighting the Barbarian King (and a return of the Boat Captain), fighting the last Spartan, impaling the Kraken to get to the Phoenix, ripping the wings off Icarus and shortly after using them to navigate THROUGH Atlas (r.i.p. Michael Clarke Duncan), and the revelation Zeus is your father after stabbing the one ally has on Olympus in Athena as she tries to save Zeus.

For a game to come out on the PS2 a year AFTER the PS3, I feel like it's a respectable swan song for the greatest selling console of all time (as of writing. Who knows if the Switch will catch up.). It looks and plays well, though in truth, I prefer the reboot, the original, and Chains of Olympus more than II, as I feel all three of those games have more enjoyable locations/plot points. I also really like how II introduces the Urns to make subsequent playthroughs have more incentives (in addition to the costume options for better magic or Rage of the Titans, or other factors).

It JUST misses out on being in my top 50 games of all time (I have it 51st right now), it's still an enjoyable time no matter how many times I replay it. I'm looking forward to having a series replay leading into Ragnarok. As far as my 2007 ballot, it BARELY is above the HMs, with my fifth place game being right behind in on my top games list (It won't show, so I'll talk about it in the wrap up post). And as always, shout out to my fellow voters: @brunojoey, @DIPSET, @bam541, @Sentinel-Beach, @Nimbat1003, and @Scotty!

• Number 8? Wow, Kratos getting butchered here by you people.
    alt text

I picked the game as my GOTY of that year. Simply an awesome mix of superb gameplay, rage-filled revenge story and always cool Greek mythology getting their heads cut off.

• God of War II is easily my favorite in the trilogy. It has a ton of memorable moments, a fantastic soundtrack and the whole game feels like an epic adventure.

But it's not good enough to make it into my top 8. Just like other God of War games the combat is just too simplistic for my taste and the game is just too juvenille.

• Honestly I barely remember the pre 2018 GoW games since it's been so long, so I can't say too much here. There are these feelings of spectacle and awe that I still associate to these games, and rightfully so. All of the OG trilogy games open with a crazy set piece, and it doesn't stop there. I think one of the most memorable moment here is the short Icarus section, it's a pretty good nutshell of what GoW used to be. Brutal and unapologetic.

• Predictions:

7 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    6 Mass Effect
    5 Portal
    4 Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    3 Halo 3
    2 Super Mario Galaxy
    1 Bioshock

• 0_1637444689519_Uncharted_Drake's_Fortune.jpg

#7: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 21 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (ffff0, Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 1 (Scotty)
    #4: 2 (DIPSET, bam541)
    HM: 6 (brunojoey, Brannox, JDINCINERATOR, DemonPirate, Tearju Engi, Crepe)

Information

Release date: NA: November 20, AU: December 6, EU: December 7
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Genre: Action-adventure, third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• God of War II is not number 1? Okay, this countdown is officially disqualified.

• Of the 16 games I played from 2007, I have Uncharted 6th.

The original Uncharted is still a fun time, but does show it's age on subsequent replays. Mostly in terms of character models and animation, but if you can get beyond that, it's still mostly a fun game through and through. There are a few pain points (A large open courtyard outside of the church with snipers and shotgunners is HELL on higher difficulties, plus the jet ski sections are... trying... if you're not able to take your time), but the island is still a mysterious and gripping location, and, as random as it is, a stranded U-boat in the Amazon is a unique hook.

I do get irked with the closing moments on the boat because of the difficulty spike and QTE nature against a guy who serves as the swerve of being the final boss (which is probably my biggest criticism of the whole game because Navarro practically doesn't do anything until El Dorado is found.).

All of this said, I always enjoy my time with it, as I can just turn off my brain and mindlessly enjoy a campy adventure. And even with the quirks, it's my 68th favorite game ever. As I've done, more shout-outs! High fives to @ffff0, @Sentinel-Beach, @Scotty, @DIPSET, @bam541, @brunojoey, @JDINCINERATOR, @DemonPirate, @Tearju-Engi, and @Crepe!

• Excellent. My first PS3 game and it was from my favourite game studio. This started something extraordinary with the fellow named Nathan Drake. I've lost count on how many times I've finished this one (and the other Uncharteds), they're simply a joy to return to. I've platinumed the original trilogy twice and would do it yet again in a heartbeat if given another opportunity still.

• A bit late to this thread but perfect time to chime in personally.

Ratchet and clank is one of my favourite series of all time maybe just behind god of war and souls now.

I replayed the PS3 games recently and was surprised to see that I put crack in time and tools of destruction on about par with each other, crack has better story and the gameplay feels smoother but I don't the galaxy stuff much at all and I feel like tools holds up better visually as well I also like the levels themselves more the pirate level in particular stands out. While I much prefer the vibe of the PS2 trilogy basically all of the ratchet games are at least good.

God of war 2 is frankly one of my favourite games of all time and personally on par with 2018, though I would be curious to replay both now to decide.

I know alot of people have complaints about hating kratos as a character etc but it's just such a good fun game and frankly does scale better than the new game still, that opening fight against the cholsosus is still amazing.

• Right on the money XD

Though I am surprised Uncharted is this high on the list. It isn't as praised as its sequels and back in 2007 it didn't have a seat on the table for GOTY discussions.

In my personal opinion Uncharted is a really enjoyable game. I was thinking about giving it an honorable mention but there are atleast 8 games I think are better. On release it was easily the best PS3 exclusive so far though. It's just a fun action/adventure game with some great characters and enjoyable story.