The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2007!

• Nice. Tools of Destruction came bundled with my PS3 when I bought the console (also with the original Uncharted, so that was a great package all in all!). And damn, did the game look phenomenal with the HD graphics or what! A very enjoyable game otherwise as well, an easy HM this time around.

• 0_1637351303008_Gow2-2.jpg

#8: God of War II - 20 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Nimbat1003, Scotty)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Brannox)
    HM: 3 (brunojoey, DIPSET, bam541)

Information

Release date: NA: March 13, EU: April 27, AU: May 3
    Developer: Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• God of War II is a really solid game and entry in the franchise, and the hook of traveling back in time to undo the betrayal at the start was interesting. There are some memorable fights/moments like fighting the Colossus of Rhodes, moving the Steeds of Time, fighting the Barbarian King (and a return of the Boat Captain), fighting the last Spartan, impaling the Kraken to get to the Phoenix, ripping the wings off Icarus and shortly after using them to navigate THROUGH Atlas (r.i.p. Michael Clarke Duncan), and the revelation Zeus is your father after stabbing the one ally has on Olympus in Athena as she tries to save Zeus.

For a game to come out on the PS2 a year AFTER the PS3, I feel like it's a respectable swan song for the greatest selling console of all time (as of writing. Who knows if the Switch will catch up.). It looks and plays well, though in truth, I prefer the reboot, the original, and Chains of Olympus more than II, as I feel all three of those games have more enjoyable locations/plot points. I also really like how II introduces the Urns to make subsequent playthroughs have more incentives (in addition to the costume options for better magic or Rage of the Titans, or other factors).

It JUST misses out on being in my top 50 games of all time (I have it 51st right now), it's still an enjoyable time no matter how many times I replay it. I'm looking forward to having a series replay leading into Ragnarok. As far as my 2007 ballot, it BARELY is above the HMs, with my fifth place game being right behind in on my top games list (It won't show, so I'll talk about it in the wrap up post). And as always, shout out to my fellow voters: @brunojoey, @DIPSET, @bam541, @Sentinel-Beach, @Nimbat1003, and @Scotty!

• Number 8? Wow, Kratos getting butchered here by you people.
    alt text

I picked the game as my GOTY of that year. Simply an awesome mix of superb gameplay, rage-filled revenge story and always cool Greek mythology getting their heads cut off.

• God of War II is easily my favorite in the trilogy. It has a ton of memorable moments, a fantastic soundtrack and the whole game feels like an epic adventure.

But it's not good enough to make it into my top 8. Just like other God of War games the combat is just too simplistic for my taste and the game is just too juvenille.

• Honestly I barely remember the pre 2018 GoW games since it's been so long, so I can't say too much here. There are these feelings of spectacle and awe that I still associate to these games, and rightfully so. All of the OG trilogy games open with a crazy set piece, and it doesn't stop there. I think one of the most memorable moment here is the short Icarus section, it's a pretty good nutshell of what GoW used to be. Brutal and unapologetic.

• Predictions:

7 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    6 Mass Effect
    5 Portal
    4 Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
    3 Halo 3
    2 Super Mario Galaxy
    1 Bioshock

• 0_1637444689519_Uncharted_Drake's_Fortune.jpg

#7: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 21 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (ffff0, Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 1 (Scotty)
    #4: 2 (DIPSET, bam541)
    HM: 6 (brunojoey, Brannox, JDINCINERATOR, DemonPirate, Tearju Engi, Crepe)

Information

Release date: NA: November 20, AU: December 6, EU: December 7
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• God of War II is not number 1? Okay, this countdown is officially disqualified.

• Of the 16 games I played from 2007, I have Uncharted 6th.

The original Uncharted is still a fun time, but does show it's age on subsequent replays. Mostly in terms of character models and animation, but if you can get beyond that, it's still mostly a fun game through and through. There are a few pain points (A large open courtyard outside of the church with snipers and shotgunners is HELL on higher difficulties, plus the jet ski sections are... trying... if you're not able to take your time), but the island is still a mysterious and gripping location, and, as random as it is, a stranded U-boat in the Amazon is a unique hook.

I do get irked with the closing moments on the boat because of the difficulty spike and QTE nature against a guy who serves as the swerve of being the final boss (which is probably my biggest criticism of the whole game because Navarro practically doesn't do anything until El Dorado is found.).

All of this said, I always enjoy my time with it, as I can just turn off my brain and mindlessly enjoy a campy adventure. And even with the quirks, it's my 68th favorite game ever. As I've done, more shout-outs! High fives to @ffff0, @Sentinel-Beach, @Scotty, @DIPSET, @bam541, @brunojoey, @JDINCINERATOR, @DemonPirate, @Tearju-Engi, and @Crepe!

• Excellent. My first PS3 game and it was from my favourite game studio. This started something extraordinary with the fellow named Nathan Drake. I've lost count on how many times I've finished this one (and the other Uncharteds), they're simply a joy to return to. I've platinumed the original trilogy twice and would do it yet again in a heartbeat if given another opportunity still.

• A bit late to this thread but perfect time to chime in personally.

Ratchet and clank is one of my favourite series of all time maybe just behind god of war and souls now.

I replayed the PS3 games recently and was surprised to see that I put crack in time and tools of destruction on about par with each other, crack has better story and the gameplay feels smoother but I don't the galaxy stuff much at all and I feel like tools holds up better visually as well I also like the levels themselves more the pirate level in particular stands out. While I much prefer the vibe of the PS2 trilogy basically all of the ratchet games are at least good.

God of war 2 is frankly one of my favourite games of all time and personally on par with 2018, though I would be curious to replay both now to decide.

I know alot of people have complaints about hating kratos as a character etc but it's just such a good fun game and frankly does scale better than the new game still, that opening fight against the cholsosus is still amazing.

• Right on the money XD

Though I am surprised Uncharted is this high on the list. It isn't as praised as its sequels and back in 2007 it didn't have a seat on the table for GOTY discussions.

In my personal opinion Uncharted is a really enjoyable game. I was thinking about giving it an honorable mention but there are atleast 8 games I think are better. On release it was easily the best PS3 exclusive so far though. It's just a fun action/adventure game with some great characters and enjoyable story.

• Uncharted 1 is a charming little thing. I am fully aware of the flaws of it, especially since the sequels has handily surpassed it in pretty much every way. I revisit the Uncharted games for time to time, and I still enjoy this game as much as the others. The self-contained setting, story and structure that makes it fun to come back to. It also has a well executed change of pace in the final act, you know what I'm talking about. It's very much a prototype of Naughty Dog's cinematic action adventure formula, and I think that's also part of what makes it charming. There's just something raw about the gameplay, like it's undercooked because the person making it didn't know how to cook this particular dish very well yet. The gunplay just feels... funny. It's ridiculous that the pistols are much better than goddamn AK-47, and the melee combo mechanic kinda adds to the silliness of it. The animations are also borderline cartoony at times (I think they're still using some of the same techniques to animate the Jak games, which explains that). While I enjoy the story, the writing is not up to modern ND standards, and the worst part of Drake's Fortune is definitely the villains for me, couldn't care less for those weirdos. I have a lot of love for this game, and most of all I'm happy that Uncharted debuted with such an easily improveable blueprint.

• As it usually happens with historical lists, I can barely say anything about most of my top 8 entries, because it was so long ago. So Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is my #2 because, I think, I liked it more than most other 2007 games. Also I've replayed it when it was remastered for PS4 and it was still an enjoyable experience. As for the game itself - no, barely remember anything.

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was a great game for its time and can still be enjoyed today, but the reason I only gave it a HM is it was annoying to pot shot the pirates as they'd constantly eat bullets and won't go down. The jungle environments and catacombs are great but they got old the longer the game went on. As a start of a franchise it's very good but Uncharted 2: Among Thieves completely outclassed it.

• 0_1637527564602_Halo_3.jfif

#6: Halo 3 - 21 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Shoulderguy, Oscillator, DIPSET)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (kindiman)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Brannox, Phbz, Axel)

Information

Release date: NA: September 25, AU: September 25, EU: September 26
    Developer: Bungie
    Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, Xbox Series X/S

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Most of my favorite memories of Halo 3 are playing online and local multiplayer with friends. We'd play through the campaign on legendary, test our skills on ranked, and played many of the top custom game modes. All the multiplayer maps are memorable and the campaign is a satisfying culmination of Master Chief’s story with Bungie.

• Halo 3 almost made my list as well. It's easily my favorite game in the franchise. The campaign is so much better than the previous two games, no more repetitive level design and they took a step back with the flood. Great selection of weapons and vehicles. The best soundtrack in the series. There is not much wrong with Halo 3 but there were atleast 8 games in 2007 I feel more passionate for so it didn't make my list.

• Halo 3 just made my Honorable Mentions, making 8th of 16 and halfway through my 2007 list.

I didn't come into Halo as a franchise until WELL after the fact, as I got the first two games using the 360's backward compatibility. I never knew nor heard of the Flood, so when I played the Combat Evolved, I HATED them and the back half of the game to the point when I heard they were in Halo 2, I dropped the series for awhile. Then I had some friends during college who convinced me to get Reach because it didn't have Flood and it was a great time mostly for campaign and playing the custom game stuff in Forge World. After some heaving selling, they convinced me to get Halo 3 and overall, for me.... it's meh.

I don't really have a problem with it per se, but as someone who thinks Halo as a franchise is capital 'F' Fine, there really isn't anything about it I think is great or terrible. The campaign is ok, but again, with the flood emphasis in the back half, it didn't do it for me (to the point going into High Charity to recover Cortana was a chore). As far as multiplayer, well, I've stated earlier in this thread I dislike multiplayer games/modes on principle so I don't have much experience with it and what I do have isn't positive.

So on the whole, it's a decent game, but I don't think it's one I'll ever really revisit. And seeing Halo 3 on our countdown is timely, with Infinite's "Beta" now open to all. Regarding Infinite, while it plays fine and feels polished, I only care for the story, and because 5 was such a massive disappointment for me, if Infinite doesn't hit for me, then I don't think I'll play anything from Halo after that. I hope that isn't the case, especially the campaign previews I've seen recently are all SUPER positive. However, I practically have no idea who/what the Banished are as I've passed on the two Wars games, so I'm hoping the onboarding at the start does a good job making me care, because everything I've seen with the Brute growling into the camera hasn't done so yet.

To conclude, you know it's coming: High-fives to fellow voters: @Phbz, @Axel, @kindiman, @Shoulderguy, @Oscillator, and @DIPSET!