I'll Call It Now

• I am not psychic but I believe EZA's GOTY this year will be Metroid Dread. What do you guys think?

• it better be. f*** all the other 2021 games

• @yoshi Even Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

• Psychonauts 2 is not only the GOTY, but GOAT

• Hitman 3 kind of bungled their postlaunch support, and it sounded like the last level of the campaign might've hurt it? I feel like Monster Hunter Rise could've been an easy pick, but unlike World, they randomly just didn't play it much??? Guess graphics are really that important huh? Returnal was "too hard" for most of the allies to see the game. Resident Evil Village came out, was enjoyed widely, but then seemed to fade away from discussion. Clearly an ally favorite franchise though, so I wouldn't rule it out. Chicory: A Colorful Tale is one of the highest rated games of the year that the allies to my knowledge didn't touch at all. Guilty Gear Strive made a mark, but being a Fighting Game holds it back sadly. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was really visually impressive, but the gameplay left almost zero lasting impression. Psychonauts 2 seemed like a hit, but it depends how many allies end up playing it over holiday probably. Plus, being so tightly bound to the original hurts its chances. Huber / Blood might make an argument for the new Life is Strange. Tales of Arise had all the scummy Deluxe Editions / other DLC pay to win / pay for convenience stuff kind of holding it back, but it is pretty so maybe that won't matter? Deathloop seemed cool but not GOTY worthy among the allies. Multiple allies seemed not as into Metroid Dread as the others, but it'd be hilarious to see the Kyle salt if it did win GOTY. Could've been Forza Horizon 5's year, but all those funky multiplayer issues at launch might've blown it. Ben seems to love SMTV, but even if he fought for it for GOTY, it is hard to imagine it winning if only he plays it. Even if other allies play it, I kind of doubt they'll love it like Ben does.

So far, as I see it, I'm guessing it'd be between It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2 currently.

The year isn't over yet though. We've still got Solar Ash, which could end up being big, and the obvious one is Halo Infinite. Not launching with Coop Campaign could be an early warning sign, but so far it seems solid from the multiplayer.

If I left anything off, I just don't see it as "GOTY Material" that has a chance, even if one or more of the allies was into it.

• As long as it is not It Takes Two, I guess I won't have much complains.

• @jdincinerator especially Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Gen 4 is worst gen

• @scotty Something about that game felt so hollow to me. Hard to put into words. Maybe the style just made it weird? All I know is something was off about it. It had alot going on, and it was certainly impressively polished, so I wouldn't hold it against anyone having that as their GOTY, but likewise I kind of hope it doesn't win because something about it felt like it was missing identity.

• For EzA it wouldn't be the weirdest of choices. I don't get it but wtv.

• @mbun

It was story and especially execution for me. I couldn't appreciate the gameplay after a while even though I admit it was trying new things until the end so in that phase story was already weak and it bothered me even more. Towards the end I was already waiting for the credits and be done with it.

• Im having fun playing It Takes Two with my GF but every time you're not playing that story, pacing and writing are kind of atrocious. Just let me play the damn game.

• I won't be surprised if Dread wins it. I also feel like MH Rise, Returnal and Psychonauts 2 is up there for the allies. Could go to any one of them IMO. Honestly this year I'm more interested in other categories, particularly best DLC/expansion and best soundtrack.

• I've heard a lot of people calling this an amazing year for gaming, but I just don't see it as some sort of extremely groundbreaking year. I mean, there have been good games, but nothing that makes me want to stop whatever I'm doing and download it.

I have probably played the least amount of new releases in 2021 than I have in any other year of gaming since I started gaming over 20 years ago. Not a slight on the quality of the games, but I just don't see anything that is dropping my jaw.

So in terms of GOTY, I just feel like it's going to go to the most solid and polished game. And that might be Dread, but I don't see why it can't be FH5 or Psychonauts 2 either.

• @dipset Yeah I think there was a similar discussion in another thread last week, if there's ever a year where a racing game can be GOTY, it's this one. There just hasn't been any revolutionary, groundbreaking game, or anything from a big name series that blew the competition out of the water.

Just a bunch of excellent games, best-in-class in their own niche genres, very hard to compare to each other.

I feel like at the Game Awards, each category like RPG, action, sports/racing, etc. will have a clear winner, but for overall GOTY it's anyone's game.