The Game Awards GOTY Nominees are...

• @jdincinerator I'm pretty sure brutally murdering the cute and innocent animal character with really awful justification while your characters act like it is necessary is going to stick with your young kid. The game is CLEARLY all around designed for adult couples to play with many moments specifically designed to shock and subvert the expectations of how the game looks visually. It is in no way intended for kids. It was a bad nomination, and it winning was a pretty big misfire. If stores sold that game as a Family Friendly game, there would be lots of angry parents to deal with.

• the corporate snobs won. as usual.

• @yoshi I don't know about that It Takes Two doesn't seem like a corporate choice to me, but then again co-op adventures do need a spotlight.

• i'm just glad Deathloop didn't win lol

• @yoshi What's your problem with Deathloop?

• @jdincinerator it has a shitty annoying theme song that actually discourage's me from even bothering to play it

• Deathloop has been fantastic for me so far.

• Nothing deserved that win more than It Takes Two. I really did not expect it. I was surprised it even got a Nomination. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would win. I was sure that Metroid had it in the bag as the huge critical darling it was. I really didn't get the impression that It Takes Two was that popular among outlets. I felt for a long while that I was screaming into the void about how good it was when compared to its main stream coverage. Easy Allies didn't review it.

It Takes Two is endlessly creative, pushing the boundaries of what a Co-op game can be, and being incredibly polished the whole way through. They didn't need to put a fully-featured chess minigame, with multiple gamemodes, in that game, but they did.

• @hazz3r said:

Easy Allies didn't review it.

They streamed a full playthrough of it around release, and they're doing another full playthrough now. They covered it.

I honestly wonder how much of a vote bump It Takes Two got from Josef Fares being attached to it. Not here to say it doesn't deserve GOTY, but I do feel like that probably made a significant difference for it when people were voting. We have a man who put himself out there complaining about how he felt cheated out of success in the film industry, so he pivoted to video games, and then down the road this happens. He basically created an underdog vibe around himself, and he charmed people with his iconic outburst as well. I wrote above when it got nominated that the whole thing feels kind of shady and fabricated, but again I bear no ill will, so congratulations to the man, his team, and their game. It really is a good game at the end of the day, and it is nice to see it win over some of the more bland options that made the nomination list.

• I really love It Take Two. It's honestly some of the most fun I've had in gaming for a long time. I didn't like the characters at all and I struggle to even understand how it's classified as a Family Game outside of the lack of swear words maybe?

Torture scenes aside; it's not a timeless and endearing story about divorce like Parent Trap is. It's literally just 80-90% about the parents bickering at one another and debating who is the better parent and you solve really amazing levels in-between.

I guess it's maybe considered a family game for the learning experience? My girlfriend has minimal game experience but she slowly warmed up to understanding the game and it's challenging parts and we overcame everything. So maybe it's considered family oriented from a gameplay perspective but content-wise, it really isn't for kids.

• @mbun They didn’t cover it in the context I’m referring to. It wasn’t a priority for them to play to completion at release and they didn’t put out a formal critique. This isn’t a slight against EZA, I’m just saying it’s part of a combination of things that led me to believe it wouldn’t be particularly well liked amongst the jury over the likes of Deathloop or Metroid.

• I wanted to comment on the "Best Art Direction" category.

Best Art Direction

• Deathloop (Arkane Studios/Bethesda) - WINNER
    • Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Ember Lab)
    • Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine/Xbox Game Studios)
    • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/SIE)
    • The Artful Escape (Beethoven & Dinosaur/Annapurna)

This is a heavy hitting category! We don't even bat an eye at R&C because of how well oiled that machine is, but the art direction in Ratchet is so unified and interesting. Deathloop married the familiar feeling of a modern FPS with the style of a Saul Bass intro sequence. The crew at Ember Lab probably have a lot of experience with clear art direction having worked in 3D animation before, so they hit the ground running with Kena. Basically all of these games were technical and aesthetically strong.

Good category that stood out to me.

• 0_1639158866159_FB_IMG_1639153493578.jpg

• @dmcmaster the worst part was he made us think it was just gonna be Super Giant. I was just gonna leave during the performance but then I saw that and had to stay. He manipulated me into listening to Imagine Dragons!

• It Takes Two just didn't clicked for me. The cutscenes between levels were painful to watch, the whole vibe just didn't work for me or my gf. Gameplay was fine.

Me and my gf just gave up on it, comparing it with 3D world, which I played with her this year, it was just OK, competent. Mario plays with you, subverts mechanics, made us laugh plenty of times. ITT felt kind of safe, but very well executed.

It's nice seeing an EA game getting some recognition without being one of their nauseating yearly franchisings.

• i cried hearing this. i'm not afraid to admit it.

2021 has been a glorious year to be a Metroid fan. let's hope there are many more to come.

Youtube Video

• @phbz said:

ITT felt kind of safe, but very well executed.

That's kind of how I feel. The environments of the game are always trying to maintain this ground of realism, but because of that you never get anything super whimsical. The kaleidoscope part is maybe the closest they get, but it just ends up being more literal than material used to create something special from the idea of being in a kaleidoscope. It is like a greatest hits playlist of things from your childhood, especially with all the minigames being like passably okay versions of a thing you usually have some familiarity with, that tends to lack depth because you're meant to do it a couple times max and move on. What's impressive is that there's so little jank across a wide array of activities, especially in a coop setting, but at the same time few of the activities feel truly tight. They equally lack creativity in the sense of originality.

Where the game shines more in my opinion is the story and the characters. Yeah, lots of people don't really like the main characters, and you're not exactly supposed to given they're going for a both are flawed thing so you root for their child instead. I think the game's story beats stay pretty wild and unpredictable throughout, often aiming for shock value in a way that's maybe a bit juvenile, but it super works for the overall story because your two main characters are constantly showing how juvenile they are and how in need they are of outside intervention for the sake of their child. The game is fine though, letting the focus linger away from the pair long enough for you to get invested in these other crazy characters, before pulling back to force awkward interaction with them all in the interest of marching forward to get back to your child and return to normal. It just works and keeps things interesting with always being unsure where the game will go next or exactly how close you are to the end.

It's nice seeing an EA game getting some recognition without being one of their nauseating yearly franchisings.

True, although it has also had the effect where when I see It Takes Two getting praised as "an indie game", and that makes me cringe knowing it has crazy EA money backing it to the point where it is basically is not one. I'm still glad EA is funding stuff like this, but it is clearly an attempt to generate good will, and it doesn't make me forget all the horrible things they've done in the past. Sadly, I don't think some GOTY awards are going to wholesale change the games EA makes or funds. It will always come down to the money. This is a win for Josef Fares and his team, but in the longrun I don't think it will lead to much change in what kinds of projects these huge publishers pursue.

@Yoshi If you mean the orchestra, this year's medley didn't really hit me, but I get what you mean from past years. If you cried from Metroid Dread losing GOTY, that's just funny to me. I was just surprised It Takes Two got it, but I guess if I'm being honest I kind of had no clear horse in the race since Returnal didn't make the GOTY nominations list, so I was mostly down for whatever winning.

• @sheria said in The Game Awards GOTY Nominees are...:

Deathloop has been fantastic for me so far.

Exactly its definitely one of the most innovative game of current gen. sure it has flaws like bad AI but still.

many people not like it didnot understand it. but it should have won GOTY.

Also, Alan wake 2 announcement was highlight of the show. been waiting for it since 10 years.