It Takes Two vs. Psychonauts 2

• Two fantastic and whimsical platformers were released in 2021 and I'm curious which of them the community favours. You have the co-op brilliance of It Takes Two, a game that truly makes teamwork an effortlessly entertaining adventure with clever puzzles and astonishingly fluid design. Then there's Psychonauts 2, a sequel to a hidden gem released in 2005 that lives up to all the hype and then some with quirky levels, amazing boss battles and a true passion and commitment to the first game's design flourishes. I can't decide which game I prefer, probably It Takes Two because it never stops throwing cool gameplay ideas at you.

• Psychonauts 2, hands down. This game is litterly everything I could have wanted from a sequel and then some.

• I gave up on It Takes Two just recently, me and my gf weren't enjoying that much so we just jumped on some Stardew Valley co-op action.

Psychonauts will most probably be my goty unless 343 operates a miracle.

• If I had to pick just between the two, I'd choose Psychonauts 2. They're pretty different though. Wouldn't normally put them in the same category, but I guess GOTY has that on people's minds.

• I don't have a ton of time off this Christmas break but I did want to dig into some GOTY contenders.

TBH—Psychonauts 2 looks amazing and I really want to play it, but I feel like It Takes Two is hard to top. The narrative in ITT would be better if the main characters had any semblance of likability, and to be honest, I feel like the actors (especially the Dad) make the script worse.

BUT ITT does one of my favourite things in gaming. It has a multitude of good and fun ideas and throws them at you throughout the game, but takes them away BEFORE they get stale.

So every single level feels custom. Which must've taken a lot of hard work and resources to accomplish. I absolutely loved the space level from the gameplay systems to the aesthetics to the boss battle.

ITT brought me back to games like God of War II where there is a solid gameplay core but they also throw neat new custom segments at you that only last a short while but because they are so short, you remember them so fondly. More games should do that!

• I choose Metroid Dread

• @yoshi That's not an option I'm afraid.

• Psychonauts 2's Tim Schafer and It Takes Two's Josef Fares interview:

Youtube Video