2021 Was A Good Year For Games

• 2021 hasn't received much kudos as a defining year in videogames. There was no head and shoulders best of the rest, no truly next-gen masterpiece, no game that gave us a true glimpse into the future of this wonderful hobby of ours. Despite the absence of a banner year though, 2021 was still pretty damn good and we saw a glimpse into what the PS5 and Series X can do, as well as the Nintendo Switch adding a handful of excellent gems to its elaborate and joyful library.

From top to bottom 2021 kept hitting us with belters from Hitman 3 in January right the way down to Halo Infinite in December and in-between there were a plethora of exciting titles without the groundbreakers and earth-shakers, but enough to keep you wholly invested.

Some of my personal favourites this year include Little Nightmares 2, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Psychonauts 2, New Pokemon Snap, FORZA Horizon 5, The Artful Escape among various others. Many of the best games I've still yet to play but the games I did delve into in 2021 were definitely a brilliant bunch.

I haven't even started on the games that were received very well like Resident Evil Village, Metroid Dread, Life is Strange: True Colours, Deathloop, Returnal and Guardians of the Galaxy. Smaller treasures like Chicory: A Colourful Tale, Mundaun, Eastward, F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch, JETT: The Far Shore, Toem and In Sound Mind ensured there was plenty on offer to salivate over while we waited for the next triple A juggernaut to arrive.

I disagree with the notion that 2021 was a terrible year for games because it really wasn't. We had so many decent and some truly great games and in my mind it's better to have a bundle of great games than one that truly stands out-because a special game is only one, but when you have many great games then the fun doesn't stop as soon.

If you want a terrible year in games then 2014 is my personal pick because despite a handful a great games towards the end of the year like Bayonetta 2, Sunset Overdrive, The Evil Within, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, Far Cry 4 and Alien: Isolation-the rest of year felt unfulfilling by comparison. 2012 was pretty unexciting too but I feel it was saved by some corkers like Far Cry 3, Spec Ops: The Line, FORZA Horizon and Sonic & SEGA's All-Stars Racing: Transformed.

Overall 2021 was a year we should remember fondly for games, we had enough of them and there were plenty to go around with a handful of great ones to boot. There's no reason to hate on 2021 unless you really are a picky Pete or Penelope so let's toast to the year in games that was 2021.