Game Pairings

• A long while ago, I used to be a barista at Starbucks and a part of the job I enjoyed the most was pairings - you would brew a certain type of coffee and try to find a pastry that would pair well with it, something that really brought out specific flavor notes or made you taste the brew in a different way. Ever since that point, I'm constantly trying to pair food/drink with other things in my life, so I figured that might be a decent topic of discussion here. I know Huber has admitted to enjoying a glass of wine along with some games, what about the rest of you?

I'll just use recent pairings for myself. First up is Persona 4 Golden with earl grey tea. There's a lot of rainy days in the game and I love sipping on tea during storms in real life. Heading to the library to study for the upcoming midterm in Persona, listening to the rain patter against the window as I slurp on some salacious herbs, it's an overall religious experience. Second, is Overwatch with some red beer. I've recently discovered how refreshing red beer is (especially in summer!) and pairing it with my current favorite multiplayer game is a no-brainer. It's hard to stay salty after a death when I just view that as another opportunity to drink up.

So what games do all of you pair with food/drink?

• I play a lot of long-form games, RPGs and the like, so I usually sit down with a pint of water. By making the water available I prevent myself from letting my mouth get to dry, dehydrating (summer is a terrible season), and developing headaches of the various literal and nonliteral varieties (as I am want to do while zoning into a game). I don't get much more interesting than mixing concentrate juice into the water.

Oh: carrots. Carrots are a nice way to force yourself to eat healthy while living the sedentary life. Like RPGs, they're a long-form food, so it helps to rinse a couple and work on them alongside social links or magic schools. Carrots aren't messy either, so you can just set them wherever.

• @Haru17 Carrots are a good idea. I think I'll pick some up after work today.

• I find reds a little dark for the summer.. but I also often have a beer or two while playing multiplayer games, especially with friends, either online or in person. Once in awhile I'll drink and play CSGO with a few friends, its always fun. Also, can't beat a morning coffee and game sesh

I usually don't eat while playing games, but if I do its usually something like goldfish or popcorn.. nothing messy or greasy because having stuff on my hands and then controller/keyboard really bugs me

• @Faaip If you ever switch to using a controller...

alt text

• I do the same thing but with food. Earthbound can only be played with fudge, Ni No Kuni with Tiramisu, and Okami fish on rice/quinoa. Twilight Princess goes with pasta. My favorite is Persona 4 with orange jello.

• I actually play Persona 4 with spicy Asian food, especially fried rice or Thai curry. It lets me imagine I'm eating at Chinese Diner Aiya. Final Fantasy games go well with a huge bowl of pasta salad for me, it's filling and I can mindlessly munch on it during an extended play session. For League of Legends, you can usually find me munching on some barbecue Jay's (not Lay's, it's a regional Midwest thing) or salt and vinegar chips along with plenty of water.

• @alexwhiteplays Yeah, I keep making ramen with eggs in it while playing Persona as well, going with a little bit of a spice might be the way to go though!

• I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking Tricky Towers + tequila shots.

1. Good weed and Noby Noby Boy.

Anybody who has done this can attest. I assume other drugs would work well but weed is enough for me thank-you.

1. Good weed and Wipeout HD.

High bpm Drum n Bass music, high speed racing, neon lights, amazing SFX. Sensory overload. Cool down with Noby Noby Boy lol

• Milkshake and Robotron
    Cream soda and Melee
    Green Tea and Phantasy Star IV
    Screwdriver and Guitar Hero 2
    Porter and Broken Sword
    Crystal Meth and Dance Dance Revolution
    Gasoline and Kingdom Hearts

• Carrots and Rocket League work for me. Gives me something easy to take a chomp out of during all the time I spend waiting for the instant replays of my goals to finish ;)

Whenever I play other things that are more hectic or if I have voice chat and can't be munching down constantly I've got a 24 pack of 24 packs of strawberry gum and a litre of water in a bottle. Pristine.

• @Ringedwithtile So that's why I was never a pro at DDR... No crystal meth in my life. They did have a Crystal Method song in there though, so I guess that's close enough.

• @GoTaco I find MMOs also pair well with the sweet green. Makes grinding a lot more tolerable.

• @SabotageTheTruth

I don't want to hijack your thread but just for fun ... I'm making margaritas tonight, anyone got any pairing ideas?

I'm on a PS4 mainly.

If anyone cares the food pairing is Edamame beans because why waste the salt?

• @flower_arrangement Edamame is great, I used to eat it all the time while gaming a year or so back.

Pairing with margaritas... hm... Guacamelee?

• @flower_arrangement Grim Fandango :D

• @SabotageTheTruth @Faaip

Oooooh good choices both, finished Guacamelee, only played 20 mins of Grim Fandango.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Game Pairings:

@GoTaco I find MMOs also pair well with the sweet green. Makes grinding a lot more tolerable.

I'm actually the opposite. I criticize things more when baked and actually get more annoyed by trivial things like grinds. I hate playing most games stoned because I get sick of menu's and micro management.

Something out there like Noby, Wipeout, or maybe Rock Band. Or something scary like Alien is perfect for me in that state.

• @GoTaco

I get mad noided, can't stand it these days.

Youtube Video

REZ is the game for palm trees anyway.

alt text

Youtube Video