Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2022

• Just finished Dirt 5. Core gameplay wise (vehicle handling and controls) it's the best arcade racing experience I had in a while. There's problems here and there, like the inconsistent AI, but it's nothing fatal. I really enjoyed Nolan North and Troy Baker's features in the main story. The Dualsense features made the whole experience much more fun too. Also, the licensed music selection here is pretty good. Shout out to Jack White's Over and Over and Over. (8/10)

Finished:
    Dirt 5

In Progress:
    Samurai Western
    Fast RMX
    Spiritfarer
    Final Fantasy Type-0
    Valkyria Chronicles IV
    Mega Man Legends
    The Good Life
    Maquette
    Coffee Talk
    Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
    Persona 5 Strikers
    Shenmue III
    Racing Lagoon
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
    Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

• @bam541 Oh you're playing Fast RMX too? I picked it up on sale over the holidays, it's seriously impressive for the Switch, Shinen are wizards!

• @axel said in Tackle the Backlog -12 in 12 for 2022:

Fast RMX

oh wow forgot about that game haha.

it was basically the only game i played on my switch around launch once i realised i didn't like zelda.

great fun.

• @axel yeah, it's definitely one of the better looking games I played on the Switch. Also the gameplay very much stands toe to toe with the newer WipEout games which is my point of reference for these kind of super fast racing games. The one downside is that the aesthetics are nowhere near as inspired, it's kinda generic overall.

• I think I'm done with Fast RMX, unlocked all the cars and beat a bunch of cups at the Subsonic and Supersonic Championship level (apparently the bar for beating this is pretty low according to HLTB, lol). Dabbled a bit in the Hero Mode and Time Trials but they feel more like bonus stuff for me. Overall it was quite fun! Great controls and mechanics, good track variety and designs, and it runs smoothly most of the time. The difficulty is pretty reasonable in the Subsonic level, after that it gets too fast and too silly for me. Just stick to the Subsonic level for the most fun possible. I appreciate the variety of obstacles and theme in the tracks, but it can get really frustrating, especially at the later tracks, or the tracks that bend in three dimensions. The graphics are great for Switch but the art direction leaves a lot to be desired, it can feel lifeless at times. It's a pretty good time overall (7/10)

Finished:
    Dirt 5
    Fast RMX

In Progress:
    Samurai Western
    Spiritfarer
    Final Fantasy Type-0
    Valkyria Chronicles IV
    Mega Man Legends
    The Good Life
    Maquette
    Coffee Talk
    Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
    Persona 5 Strikers
    Shenmue III
    Racing Lagoon
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
    Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

• GG App: Want to Play
    GG App: Playing
    GG App: Completed Games of 2022

Backlog

Nier Replicant v1.22 - 02-22

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (currently playing)

Psychonauts 2

Forza Horizon 5 (not sure if you can "beat" this one per se, it goes on forever)

Hitman III

Hades

Gothic II (Gold Edition)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Remastered Decided, I'm not playing this.

Halo Combat Evolved

Halo 2

Halo 3

Halo Infinite (Note - Not playing this unless I upgrade my PC)

Half Life

Half Life 2

Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversary Bundle

--

Okay so I finally crossed one off the list. Woohoo! Nier took 2 months to complete and was a really friggin annoying game, but it's done and dusted.

With Elden Ring and GT7 out, I'll probably slow down on the backlog, but I'm off to a good start.

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS) +: This has been a big gaming blindspot for me that I would like to fill in! 2nd year its in my backlog goals!
    • Fallout: New Vegas (PC/Series X) +: After playing The Outer Worlds in 2019, wanted to dive into another Obsidian game!
    • Metroid Prime 2 (Wii) +: Would enjoy finally finishing this trilogy to lead into Prime 4!
    • Metroid Prime 3 (Wii) +: Same as Prime 2!
    • Banjo Kazooie (N64/NSO) +: One of the first games I got on the N64 recollection I've gone through over the past two years. At this point probably playing it on the NSO to play it with a N64 controller.
    • Final Fantasy VI (GBA): This might be moved to the Pixel Remaster when that comes out, but its been in the backlog for quite a bit as a GBA game, but one day.
    • Final Fantasy XV (PS4): I got this for Christmas in 2017. This year better be the year to actually prep for XVI.
    • Outer Wilds (Xbox One) + [Finished]: My PS4 copy is bugged, so thankfully Game Pass saved the day in this regard. But, this game is just as amazing as Isla said and I am glad I didn't skip it!
    • Paper Mario (N64/NSO) +: Another early stalwart of my N64 recollection that I would like to finish. Probably will play it on the NSO at this point.
    • Yakuza 0 (PS4): Paused it last summer and would like to return to it this year because I loved my time with it in those first few hours!
    • God of War: Ascension (PS3): Part of my journey to attempt to Platinum the entire God of War series last year paused as I am getting my backwards compatible PS3 fixed. So hopefully one day this year that will return to me so I can go back to this series!
    • Mega Man Legends (PS3/PS Vita): Kyle's love for it and constant Hall of Greats presentations piqued my interest enough to buy it a year or two ago!
    • Persona 5 Royal (PS4) + [Finished]: Finished my playthrough at hour 162. And I could've probably hit 200 and still loved it at the same level. This is one now easily one of my favorite games!

--
    I am picking four games a month from my backlog. One usually being from this list. But I am trying to catch up from my January 12 in 12 lull by playing two games from this list in March and April.

March was Outer Wilds and Paper Mario. Still chugging along with Paper Mario so making progress! I'm still early in it, but if I don't finish it by the end of the month, but I'm in a groove, I might let it lapse into April.

Next month is Mega Man Legends and Ocarina of Time!

Backlog

Nier Replicant v1.22 - 02-22

Halo Combat Evolved - 04-22

Halo 2 - 04/22

Cyberpunk 2077 (currently playing)

DOOM Eternal

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Psychonauts 2

Forza Horizon 5

Hitman III

Hades

Gothic II (Gold Edition)

Halo 3

Halo Infinite

Half Life

Black Mesa

Half Life 2

--

March was the month of Elden Ring, GT7, and my usual Halo MCC / Infinite matches. I did a lot of gaming early in the month then fell off near the end.

I did end up upgrading my PC so I am adding Halo Infinite (Campaign) to my list after all. I will also be taking CP77 out of the vault and giving it a new chance on a fresh save file now that my PC is equipped to run it properly.

Yesterday, I finally finished Halo CE for the first time in my life. I've had MCC for years and I owned Halo CE on PC years ago but my computer sucked and I never played beyond the 2nd level. I'm glad I finally finished this classic. Now I'm going to play Halo 2, Halo 3, and Reach with my friend through online co-op.

EDIT:

Beat Halo 2 co-op. I can see why people loved it in 2004. It's movement mechanics are solid and clearly still the foundation of the series from that point on.

The story gets absolutely insane and is told extremely ungracefully. It was a good time with a friend but I probably would've been a bit bored of it if I played solo.

Backlog

Nier Replicant v1.22 - 02/22

Halo Combat Evolved - 04/22

Halo 2 - 04/22

Halo 3 - 05/22

Cyberpunk 2077 (currently playing)

DOOM Eternal

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Psychonauts 2

Forza Horizon 5

Hitman III

Hades

Gothic II (Gold Edition)

Halo Infinite

Half Life

Black Mesa

Half Life 2

--

Just beat Halo 3 finally finishing the original Bungie trilogy. This was definitely the best one so far and insanely fun to play in 3-4 player co-op. It holds up well pacing-wise and the big open vehicle levels are the standout of the series so far. Onto Reach, then Halo 4 next.

I put a bit of a pin into CP77 because summer is starting which means less time at my desk and playing games. It's been starting to drag a bit and it isn't a great bite-sized game so I think if there is a rainy weekend, I'll put a huge 10 hour dent into it.

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS) + [Finished]: Very glad I got to finish this! This is definitely a highly regarded game that has earned that type of love. Very well crafted gameplay mechanically and structure wise.
    • Fallout: New Vegas (PC/Series X) +: After playing The Outer Worlds in 2019, wanted to dive into another Obsidian game!
    • Metroid Prime 2 (Wii) +: Would enjoy finally finishing this trilogy to lead into Prime 4!
    • Metroid Prime 3 (Wii) +: Same as Prime 2!
    • Banjo Kazooie (Series X/NSO) +: One of the first games I got on the N64 recollection I've gone through over the past two years. However, I recently got a Series X and Game Pass. So could play it on Rare Replay. Or at this point on the NSO to play it with a N64 controller.
    • Final Fantasy VII (Switch): This was FFVI. But, realized I want to finish FFVII as well. If the Pixel Remasters do get announced for other than PC, I will gladly play those and add FFVI to this list next year, but do want to finish FFVII before Remake Part 2 comes out. And getting an Analogue Pocket eventually helped this cause as well.
    • Final Fantasy XV (PS4): I got this for Christmas in 2017. This year better be the year to actually prep for XVI.
    • Outer Wilds (Xbox One) + [Finished]: My PS4 copy is bugged, so thankfully Game Pass saved the day in this regard. But, this game is just as amazing as Isla said and I am glad I didn't skip it!
    • Paper Mario (N64/NSO) +: Another early stalwart of my N64 recollection that I would like to finish. Probably will play it on the NSO at this point.
    • Yakuza 0 (PS4): Paused it last summer and would like to return to it this year because I loved my time with it in those first few hours!
    • God of War: Ascension (PS3): Part of my journey to attempt to Platinum the entire God of War series last year paused. And recently got my backwards compatible PS3 cleaned out and such. So eventually I will return to vengeful Kratos!
    • Mega Man Legends (PS3) [Finished]: Really enjoyed this game a lot even for how it's aged. The music is fantastic. The vibes are grand and I do love the Bonnes. Onto Mega Man Legends 2 soon!
    • Persona 5 Royal (PS4) + [Finished]: Finished my playthrough at hour 162. And I could've probably hit 200 and still loved it at the same level. This is one now easily one of my favorite games!

--
    Four games down! Woo! This month I am taking a break from the backlog roulette I've done and the three games I usually pick, will all be from this list this month in hopes I finish them. Since I am that amount behind right now. Fallout: New Vegas, Paper Mario, and either God of War: Ascension or Metroid Prime 2 are the games this month. Paper Mario I got through an hour or so in March. So, hopefully will knock that out. Same boat as Metroid Prime 2 basically. Stopped at the the Underwater sections in January. So, hopefully soon!