Release date: NA: August 29
    Developer: Monolith Soft
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Role-playing video game
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Truly an epic end to a great Trilogy and probably one of the best JRPG's on the PS2 at that. I didn't get to play it until about 2009 when I got my import PS2 but it still highly impressed me.
    Only me to vote on it though =(

• I still want to play these games but don't have a PS2 that can play American games.

I'm surprised these games were never rereleased.

• Xenogears or Xeno series (whatever it's called) is a massive void in my JRPG knowledge. I'd love to play the originals on PS1 but I'm not 100% sure how easily available they are on PS Store. One day.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

Xenogears or Xeno series (whatever it's called) is a massive void in my JRPG knowledge. I'd love to play the originals on PS1 but I'm not 100% sure how easily available they are on PS Store. One day.

I'm pretty sure Xenogears is available on the US NTSC PS3 store, you won't find it in Europe though sadly. The Xenosaga trilogy is still exclusive to the PS2, only one of those three made it to Europe.

• 0_1641841389525_Dead Rising.jpg

#19: Dead Rising - 6 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (kindiman)
    #4: 1 (DIPSET)
    HM: 1 (Crepe)

Information

Release date: NA: August 8, EU: September 8, AU: September 14
    Developer: Capcom Production Studio 1
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I thought Dead Rising would be a little higher than 19th but it's certainly worthy of being on the list somewhere. Frank West's jaunt around a shopping mall chopping up zombies is a real pleasure and the amount of tools the game gives you to brutalize, maim and decapitate them is kinda jolly in a psychopathic and sick way. The save system is problematic but I don't think many will care when you have so much gory pleasure you can derive from it.

• Dead Rising is another series I still have yet to play but want to.

For this one I don't have an excuse, I just haven't got around to it yet.

• A new job, living situation, and schedule leave me playing catch-up (for hopefully only the short term).

SO! For Xenosaga, I often confuse it with Xenogears, and it's hard for me to differentiate between the two, so not much I can add.

As for Dead Rising, it's one of the first games I saw when I discovered the first incarnation of G4 and remembering being wowed by the amount zombies all over for you to kill. I remember you play as Frank West and you have a camera you can use to gain some kind of points or take some unique photo opportunities, but as time went on, the more I've turned away from it and the franchise. The concept of "constantly" (relatively speaking) needing to give yourself some sort of cure to prevent yourself from turning just sounds annoying, from what I've heard some characters aren't that great, and other than creatively killing loads of zombies, there isn't anything else I know of to bring you back.

• Dead Rising, for me, was the first game I saw that made me want an Xbox 360. It's as fun to play as it is to watch and has fantastic replayability. Great use of the achievement system as well.

I put it at HM because it was somewhat janky, even for its time, and it has some design flaws that hold it back.

• I tried several times get into Dead Rising but it's just not my kind of game. I can see why people like it, killing zombies in creative ways - at least on paper - can be fun.

• Dead Rising and another game that hopefully makes the Top 20 are among 2-3 games that absolutely blew my mind when I played them for the first time. What's great about Dead Rising is that it's gimmick of anything being a weapon actually makes for an incredible gameplay loop. And the weapon durability always keeps you on your toes in a mall filled to the brim with zombies.

The mall itself is a really great environment. Aesthetically, it's a pretty nostalgic mall. It reminds me of the malls from the late-90s and early-00s which are long gone or massively renovated by today's standards. There are little details like fruit juice stores in the food court or Muzak playing in the background of quieter areas.

Best of all, the game holds up! I suggest people check out the PS4/XBO/PC Remastered version of Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2. The core gameplay loop of killing zombies to gain XP, collecting food for health, and frantically picking up and expending weapons made from household products is actually pretty ahead of it's time. What doesn't hold up are the controls for shooting guns. That is still brutal. But you only need to use gunplay on an early boss and an early psychopath who you can cheese. Otherwise, avoid guns.

Honestly, Dead Rising is almost like a proto-BOTW in it's gameplay loop. Except you don't have to pause the game every 2 sec to eat food or potions (you can do it on the fly), and you come across weapons very quickly and naturally in gameplay except those weapons are made a bit more equal. Sooooo it's a proto (and better) BOTW. Sue me!

• I tried out Dead Rising on PS4 in like maybe 2018-2019, forgot when exactly. It's a cool game that is just not for me. The mall environment is pretty neat, even as someone who's not living in the US, it invokes some sense of familiarity from the memories of old malls I used to frequent (and still do, albeit rarely). The tone of the game was very enjoyable, it's just cheesy enough to be fun but not annoying. Ultimately I stayed away from this because I'm not comfortable with the time limit (like other DR games) and there's something about the game that made me nauseous in the long run. Maybe it was the clunky gore of the zombies, or maybe it was some parts of the mall not really vibing with me, I dunno.

• 0_1641924624517_Killzone Liberation.jpg

#18: Killzone: Liberation - 6 points

Votes

#2: 0
    #3: 2 (bam541, Scotty)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: October 31, EU: November 3, AU: November 8
    Developer: Guerrilla Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Shoot 'em up
    Platform(s): PlayStation Portable

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Oh wow, I didn't expect this to make it! It's been a while since I played this. It's actually the first Killzone game I played, and after playing the PS3 games, it's much clearer to me that Liberation is a very well made spinoff. Obviously with the PSP having no second analog stick, it's hard to make a good FPS on it so why not turn it into something a bit different? It's exactly what they did and it fits the PSP so well. It also manages to keep the heavy and grounded feel of the mainline Killzone games. The enemies react palpably when a shot hits, and the way their bodies fly or fall over after getting blown up is quite satisfying, not to mention the sound effects!>! It's a real neat game, definitely something worth trying out even if you're not a big fan of the mainline KZ games.

• Killzone as a franchise never grabbed me when I first tried the first game on PS2, so I never felt the pull to try Liberation. Granted, because I'm a big Resistance fan, those two franchises are forever linked because of how often people confuse them for one another, so I respect Killzone especially when it's fan voice their love.

• Killzone Liberation was a nice on-the-go isometric shooter for what it was. I can't remember much about it as the last time I played it was a good while ago but it was serviceable and enjoyable. I thought it would be easily forgotten but thankfully not because it's made this list.

• 0_1642011268705_The Godfather.jpg

#17: The Godfather - 6 points

Votes

#2: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (Oscillator, DIPSET)

Information

Release date: NA: March 21, EU: March 24
    Developer: EA Redwood Shores
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I know nothing about this game and now I feel bad. Looks awesome.

• 2006 was a pretty good year for gangster videogame releases and The Godfather was a very enticing slice of pastrami indeed.