• 1 Bully
    2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
    3 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    4 Yakuza
    HM) NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
    HM) Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
    HM) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
    HM) Daxter

I'm happy Bully made it this high. It is one of my all time favorites. I replayed it a few years ago and it has aged very good. Probably because there is really no game like it. It is still one of a kind.

I was actually thinking Daxter would have atleast made the top 20 also, such a great game.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

then there was Rule of Rose which released in the EU but not in the bloody UK....

What? I never knew this XD

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

@sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

then there was Rule of Rose which released in the EU but not in the bloody UK....

Yeah, just look under controversy on Wikipedia, it's quite the mess with that game.
    I got a European copy about 2009 and it was 40 quid then. It goes for a lot today.

• destroy all humans 2 was my number 2 but oblivion was an easy top choice as seems to be for most people this game was truly what made me the RPG fan i am today.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

@neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

@sheria said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

Yeah, just look under controversy on Wikipedia, it's quite the mess with that game.
    I got a European copy about 2009 and it was 40 quid then. It goes for a lot today.

0_1643323512556_EIL07C3WwAAIkon.png

• Seeing the top two here JUST as our 2nd Hall of Greats wraps up leads me to think if we had more participants there as we do here, then there might've been a different Great to be nominated.... Ah well....

Anywho, I have more appreciation for both Bully and Oblivion because of the aforementioned HoG thread, and as I haven't played either game, can't speak to them beyond what was presented.

As far as my list with words on the games that didn't make it:

GOTY: Resistance: Fall of Man
    2.) Kingdom Hearts II
    3.) Final Fantasy XII
    4.) Gears of War
    5.) (HM) New Super Mario Bros.
    6.) (HM) Wii Sports
    7.) (HM) Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
    8.) (HM) Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
    9.) (Didn't make the cut) Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
    10.) (Didn't make the cut) Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas

Tom Clancy's GRAW, as I referenced in my Gears post, was more my dad's speed, but from what I remember, it was a decent time and I like it a little more than Vegas, but other than that feeling, I can't remember a thing about it.

Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy was decent, but I don't remember playing it as much as I did the first Lego Star Wars. I think I dropped it still within a New Hope and I can't remember why I dropped it.

Dirge of Cereberus, for having FF VII as my FGOAT, is a godforsaken disaster, and despite that is higher than the other games on my list because I actually remember this (Much more for worse than for the better). The writing and characters are absolutely atrocious, and despite having decent character models, nice music (except for the Gackt stuff), interesting settings, and a solid third person shooter concept, the story just SUCKS. And it makes me feel especially terrible because Vincent is one of my favorite characters in all of gaming. You can tell I didn't have much I enjoyed in 2006 outside of my top 6 except...

New Super Mario Bros. is the last 2D Mario I've played and still own. It's decent, with fun mini-games on the outside of the main "campaign," but after awhile, the same gameplay of the same levels over and over wore on me.

And to conclude, massive thanks to @Shoulderguy for taking the charge on the countdowns. If we keep them going, I'm looking forward to the next one!

• I submitted the results for the next Community Showcase.

• lol I forgot about Bully. Oh well. Game's great, I have it on my PS3 already and I want to replay it someday. Barely remember much other than reading a guide book IRL so I can pass the English mini game.

My full list:

1. Hitman Blood Money
    2. GTA VCS
    3. Killzone Liberation
    4. Guitar Hero II
      Honorable mentions:
      MGS Portable Ops
      Outrun 2006
      Daxter
      Miami Vice (PSP)

MGS Portable Ops is a underrated game. Is it as good as Peace Walker? Heck no. But it's still an unique game with it's own feel. It's kinda hard to go back to these days but it's still a cool game.

Outrun 2006 is awesome, and it still holds up to this day. Played the PSP version very recently. I imagine it's better on the console versions.

I haven't finished Daxter, but from what I've played it's quite good. Controls well, the humor and writing is solid too.

The PSP Miami Vice plays like RE4, and it's not as good of course, but it's cool to see another game that takes the RE4 control scheme, because I can't think of many games doing it.

• GOTY 2006 Recap

Notes:

• 20 people voted and nominated 61 different games
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the first Bethesda game to win our GOTY. The previous highest ranking Bethesda games: #2 Fallout 3 (2008) and #2 Wolfenstein: The New Order (2014).
    • Bully is the fourth Rockstar developed game to finish second in voting. Red Dead Redemption (2010), Grand Theft Auto V (2013) and Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018).
    • #4 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is the fifth Zelda game to place in the top 10. #2 Majora's Mask (2000), #7 Skyward Sword (2011), #3 A Link Between Worlds (2013), #3 Breath of the Wild (2017).
    • #5 Ōkami is the third highest ranking Capcom game. #4 Monster Hunter World (2018), #1 Resident Evil 2 (2019)
    • Publishers Activision, Capcom, Sony, Rockstar, Nintendo and Square Enix all had two games in the top 20. Tied for the most.
    • The Nintendo DS had zero games in the top 20 despite being the best selling console in 2006. Top 3 consoles sold in 2006: Nintendo DS - 20,562,969, PS2 - 12,247,866, PSP - 8,946,911.

Exclusives (at the time):

• 7: PS2 (Bully, Final Fantasy XII, Guitar Hero II, Kingdom Hearts II, Ōkami, Suikoden V, Xenosaga Episode III)
    • 2: PSP (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, Killzone: Liberation)
    • 2: Xbox 360 (Dead Rising, Gears of War)
    • 1: PS3 (Resistance: Fall of Man)
    • 1: Wii (Wii Sports)
    • 1: Wii/GameCube (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Score totals for games that didn't make the top 20:

• 5 Points: Daxter, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy, Tomb Raider: Legend
    • 4 Points: Destroy All Humans! 2, Medieval II: Total War, New Super Mario Bros., Tony Hawk's Project 8
    • 3 Points: Forbidden Siren 2, Need for Speed: Carbon, Mother 3, Yakuza
    • 2 Points: Rule of Rose, Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    • 1 Point: 24: The Game, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War, Age of Empires: The Age of Kings, Call of Duty 3, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic,
      Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Elite Beat Agents, Excite Truck, Fight Night Round 3, God Hand, Grandia III, Kirby: Squeak Squad,
      Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Madden NFL 07, Miami Vice: The Game, NCAA Football 07, NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast,
      Rayman Raving Rabbids, Scarface: The World Is Yours, SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Combined Assault, Sonic Riders, Tetris DS, TOCA Race Driver 3,
      Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

EZA Community GOTY ranks for franchises that started in 2006:

• Unranked: Yakuza, #11: Yakuza 4 (2011), #11: Yakuza 5 (2015), #6: Yakuza 0 (2017), #8: Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (2018), #6: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (2018), #17: Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020), Unranked = Yakuza 2 (2008), Yakuza 3 (2010)
    • #10: Resistance: Fall of Man, #13: Resistance 2 (2008), #19: Resistance 3 (2011), Unranked = Resistance: Retribution (2009), Resistance: Burning Skies (2012)
    • #3: Gears of War, #5: Gears of War 2 (2008), #22: Gears of War 3 (2011), #18: Gears 5 (2019), Unranked = Gears of War: Judgment (2013), Gears of War 4 (2016)

Thanks to everyone who participated! I look forward to voting with all of you again in the next EZA Community election.

• Ah damn, Daxter got close! Also shoutout to whoever voted for Ace Combat Zero, I haven't got to playing it yet so I can't vote for it, but considering that I've enjoyed like nearly all of AC games that I've played up until now, I'm pretty sure it would also be high on my list.

• @bam541 that was my hm

• Once again, even though I'm sure no mod frequents the forums anymore, I would like to ask if we can get this, the 2007 and the 2008 countdowns moved to the Hall of Fame subforum, for no other reason than to keep all countdowns together.

• The Community Showcase, timestamp where they talk about our GOTY results.

Youtube Video – [21:20..]