The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!

• @neocweeny

Scarface is a solid GTA clone but the dialogue, plot, and overall gameplay is kinda meh...

I think there is a button for Tony Montana to just yell obscenities which is hilarious.

The Godfather is much better.

• The Godfather has solid gameplay, a nicely sized world, and good period atmosphere. However, the references to The Godfather feel hollow. Instead of getting the politics and character moments of the movie, it's all just violence. Destroying businesses, destroying gambling parlors, and guns, guns, guns. Francis Ford Coppola really disliked the game for this.

• To those who have played The Godfather, how enjoyable is it for people who haven't watched the movie yet? Might be time for hunting used PS3 games again for me.

• I've barely been aware The Godfather had a game, and when I think of mafia games, I think of... well... Mafia. Still, it seems to be one of those licensed games that bucks the trend and reputation how most are terrible.

• @bam541 Just looked it up myself. It's not cheap on ebay.

• Sadly is not backwards compatible on Xbox, I could get the 360 version for 10€ here in Portugal. There's a psp version too for the same price.
    https://pt.webuy.com/product-detail?id=5030930047856&categoryName=psp-jogos&superCatName=jogos&title=godfather-the&referredFrom=boxsearch

• I'd really like it if a certain other open-world gangster videogame based on a film made it onto this list. I'm sure you guys know which game I'm referring to...

• @bam541 said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

To those who have played The Godfather, how enjoyable is it for people who haven't watched the movie yet? Might be time for hunting used PS3 games again for me.

First of all… watch The Godfather. Then watch Part II. Then do what I’ve done and watch both about 50 times and still never watch Part III based on its reputation.

But in all seriousness, when I watched Godfather as a kid, it was life changing. Probably the best movie I had ever seen. It really opened my eyes to the art of filmmaking in a way I never saw before. Even as a kid, I could appreciate the fact that The Godfather was on a heightened level of artistry than what I was unused to consuming.

So with all that said, I HOPE somebody watching it in 2022 for the first time in their life can also appreciate what we all saw in The Godfather for the first time. Whether than be in the 70s, 90s, 00s, or 20s.

And if you do end up appreciating the movie on that heightened level, I don’t see a world where you don’t find this game really fun. Now, keep in mind, this released before PS3/360 was a household item. BUT, it was still a great time. I’ll let you make up your own mind, but definitely watch the movie. You owe it to yourself to digest this classic.

• @e_zed_eh_intern yeah I can find the second game for cheap but not this one, lol. oh well, I haven't watched them movies anyway.

• @bam541 don't bother, they are awful. Everybody knows the best mob movie is Gotti.

... @DIPSET

• 0_1642097423074_Suikoden V.jpg

#16: Suikoden V - 6 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Crepe)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Sheria)

Information

Release date: NA: March 21, EU: September 22, AU: October 13
    Developer: Konami, Hudson Soft
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• @shoulderguy Speaking of prohibitively expensive games...

• Wow, after the placing of Xenosaga, I never expected to see this one.
    The game never gets mentioned for some reason but I stand here to say that it's on par with Suikoden 2

• Full disclosure: I put Suikoden V as my #1 game cause I thought it was the only way it would show up. Hehe
    That being said, it is still easily one of my top four games of 2006.

After much thinking during many morning commutes, this is the second best Suikoden game in the series. Yes, to me, this is better than the original Suikoden and Suikoden III. Everything that worked in the previous games is here, including the great skill system that was added in Suikoden III. The bad stuff from previous games is also gone meaning:

• The six character party is back
    • You can control each character individually during battle.
    • Army battles are back and more similar to the first two games.
    • The random difficulty spikes from III are gone.

The only feature they added was the ability to change your party's formation during battle. Perhaps the lack of additions is a sore spot, but considering that this is the last in the series, It feels fitting that they stuck with what worked.

Story-wise, it is often said that Suikoden V starts slow, which I can understand, but that criticism falls flat in today's gaming landscape. It is heavy with politics, but I don't feel that makes it slow in 2021. Suikoden V also got criticized for it's graphics. To an extent, I agree with this criticism, as many locations look bland and the spells rarely look as fantastic as they did in previous entries. However, the character models and art look great and something I learned when I looked up the game again, is that apparently this game runs in 60 FPS.

So why should you play this game, ( if you can find it )? One, the story is fantastic and takes place in the Queendom of Falena. Which is unique in itself, but also unique in-universe. If you are a fan of the Suiko-verse, this game takes place eight years before Suikoden and fleshes out some lore for the world and some reoccurring characters. And being a Suikoden game, the characters are fantastic.

All of the combat systems are on par with the strongest games in the entry, and if you liked or loved those, this is more of the same. Collecting characters, base-building, and exploration follow that same series formula and are as strong as the first three Suikoden games.

Suikoden V is an entry that gives the fans everything they want, and gives something familiar and fun to newcomers.

• I only really hear about the Suikoden franchise whenever Isla expresses her love for II, and I guess that's a detriment in many ways, not the least of which being the first two games are all I hear about PERIOD, to the point until this post, I didn't know there were more Suikodens beyond II.

While the in-engine art looks cool, the concept of having so many characters to recruit is daunting and honestly, turns me away more than anything else with my addictive need to do everything I can in a game.

• @brannox It does seem daunting, but usually about 50-60% of the characters are recruited automatically. And the requirements to get the best endings revolve around getting all 108 characters before a certain plot-point in the game. ( With Suikoden 1, a big problem was knowing how to recruit certain characters without killing them. Also some of those characters could glitch and die even if you did the right thing) The side stuff beyond collecting the 108 characters is completely optional.

What is fun to me, is that many of the secret characters are recruitable at different points of the games. So you get some wiggle room and can experiment with when/how to recruit them.

• 0_1642183695980_Guitar Hero II.jpg

#15: Guitar Hero II - 7 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (bam541, brunojoey, Crepe)
    HM: 1 (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: November 7, AU: November 15, EU: November 24
    Developer: Harmonix
    Publisher: RedOctane, Activision
    Genre: Music, rhythm
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Catch up.

Suikoden V

Honest to god. I had no idea no idea this series even went past Suikoden II, let alone 5. I'm interested in that Kickstarted spiritual successor and have had 1&2 downloaded on my PS3 for eons. I'll get to them eventually. I've heard the series holds up better than most JRPGs of the past. Tbh, doubt I'll ever work my way up to playing beyond 1-2 though.

Guitar Hero II

This was a phenomena basically worldwide but among 10 year olds, GHII was the thing kids discussed on the playground in Grade 6. We knew one kid who could play Jordan by Buckethead on Expert and we didn't believe it until we saw it. It's like World of Warcraft and Guitar Hero turned kids into fiends around roughly the same time. The difference—a lot of the Guitar Hero kids picked up guitar lessons. I know a lot of kids who got into music because of this game.

Personally, I never owned it. I was never good at it. And I didn't love practicing. I got into the Rock Band craze later on however.

• I think the lone Guitar Hero I've ever played was the third game, but I can't remember. While I understand the craze behind GH and RockBand, I think the biggest difference is the track list because when you've played one of these games, you pretty much know how all of them play. Aside from playing a couple of songs I enjoy, that was never enough to ever want to really be interested, much less own.

• Guitar Hero II was the hypest thing ever back then in my place. I remember that a lot of kids in my school would watch each other play the songs in the harder difficulty, just to impress and challenge each other. Other than the appeal of having licensed songs, it's easy to understand, and can be ridiculously hard if you want it to be, which explains the appeal. I personally never got really far into the game, I would only got to play it if my friends dragged me to come play. It's always a blast playing it together though, so that's the part that makes this earn a point from me.