The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!

• Kind of like I mentioned in the Dead Rising post, Marvel's Ultimate Alliance is another game I have early G4 memories of. Not into superheroes or reading comics, at the time when I first saw it, I didn't know the concept of multiversus and cross-overs (yet, the last decade throughout pop culture really has correcte d that), so when I first saw gameplay, I thought, "Hey, all these heroes are in one place, that's neat." Beyond that however, there hasn't been anything about it to make me want to play it, but from what I've heard, there's actually a sacrificial choice in the game that has lasting consequences and that's neat.

• Marvel: Ultimate Alliance just missed getting a vote at #9 on my list. I played through it multiple times solo and multiplayer. With Silver Surfer and Spider-Man as my most played characters, but all the characters are fun to play. Glad it made the top 20.

• 0_1642354973012_Dreamfall The Longest Journey.jpg

#13: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Phbz)
    #2: 1 (Sheria)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: April 17, UK: May 26, EU: August 11
    Developer: Funcom
    Publisher: NA: Aspyr, UK: Empire Interactive, EU: Micro Application
    Genre: Adventure
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've never even heard of this. Tried doing some googling and reading its wikipedia for a synopsis and watching on YouTube and can't make heads or tails of how this really plays.

• Also a series I really want to play some day.

• alt text

• The thing about Dreamfall (and the series in general) is that while gameplay is never great, the story, world and characters are incredible. The first one was a classic point and click but this one is a more accessible 3rd person story focused adventure. Maybe because it's more associated with the Xbox many here missed it but I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• 0_1642444178640_Wii Sports.jpg

#12: Wii Sports - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 1 (Oscillator)
    HM: 5 (Shoulderguy, Brannox, brunojoey, Crepe, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: NA: November 19, AU: December 7, EU: December 8
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The games in Wii Sports are short and simple, but the novelty of having motion controls and a new system made the games feel special. I had several fun nights playing Wii Sports with friends and family. Some of whom, I never expected to play a video game with.

• Huh, my first game I gave a vote for. While I never owned a Wii myself, my cousin did and I played her copy of Wii Sports a good deal. I wasn't a fan of the Golf or Boxing games, but I spent a LOT of time playing Bowling, Tennis, and Baseball. This, in my opinion, is the best example of a "proof of concept" game/tech demo kind of thing that's been bundled in with a console. Simple, short, never overstays its welcome, and never a serious commitment of time (each game from what I've remember is only 20-30 minutes) or objective (Just play, do your best, and stop when you've had your fill), I'm very happy to see it make the countdown in any capacity.

Super fun in spurts and it's been long enough that I'd be down to spend an evening revisiting this. On my ballot, I have it 6th out of the ten 2006 games I've played, and honestly, I have such fond memories of Wii Sports, it's (as of writing) 88th in my top 100.

Shoutout to @Shoulderguy, @brunojoey, @Crepe, @Bigdude1, @Oscillator, and @Capnbobamous for thinking it's good enough for your votes as well!

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2006!:

I have it 6th out of the 10 2006 games I've played

Initially I've read "6th out of 10206 games I've played" and thought: "Wow, that's very high!"

• I think we understate the significance of Wii Sports. I mean the Wii owes so much of its initial success to this game. Families weren't buying the Wii to play Mario or Zelda, they were buying it to play Wii Sports, the free pack-in game that -- and I don't believe I'm being hyperbolic by saying this -- revolutionized the industry. It created a whole new audience for games. People that would never ordinarily play a game were playing this one. Grandparents, great-grandparent, single moms, that one uncle you have who shows up to family gatherings with a six-pack, all of these people were able to come together and have fun. It's the game that made the Wii, and perhaps even greater than that, made motion controls. I mean if you look at the Kinect and the Playstation Move, they were clearly influenced by this game, and tried their best to emulate it without success.

The code-name for the Wii was Revolution, and it's Wii Sports that proves how prescient that title was.

• What a failure, damn! I should have find a spot for Wii Sports. Great nights with friends, all high and drunk playing tennis as if we were on the grand final of Roland-Garros. Hilarious shit!

• Ahhhhh Wii Sports where to even begin....

This game will always be a boring one to me. I never understood the novelty of the Wiimote nor Wii Sports itself. And I like to think I was the target demo considering I was 11-12 years old in 2006 and was highly anticipating the "Nintendo Revolution" as the magazines called in the years before launch. Once I played Wii Sports, I found it amusing. But it wore out its welcome F-A-S-T with me. Too many people played it all at one time. It was just the big but short burst of momentum then it suffered a hard falloff where these parents, grandparents, and casual gamer kids never played their Wii ever again. Parents would force us kids to play this shit while kids at school were quickly losing interest in the casual games.

All of that extra curricular backstory aside, I still don't think it's a very good game. It's just too uncomplicated from a gameplay perspective. It's neither sim-y nor gamey. It's just unfun and bland in my opinion.

Now, I obviously understand the influence and appeal of Wii Sports. I 1000000000% get it. I just really didn't find it fun, even it the peak of it's novelty.

• @ffff0 Haaaaaa!! Yeah, I should have wrote out "ten," which I'll do once I finish this reply, but that's super funny. Unintentional of course.

• @dipset I think it’s more complex than people give it credit for. Wii golf in particular felt amazing to play.

• Arguably Nintendo's biggest success story was the Wii and Wii Sports. Opening up videogames to non-gamers was something truly special. At the time I was a disgruntled teenager who didn't like that Nintendo was catering to non-gamers and I thought they abandoned what made them great. Yet with adult eyes and a fully developed brain, I see Nintendo as true pioneers of what games can be to all people and Wii Sports really was the genesis of that.

• 0_1642527111332_Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas.jpg

#11: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - 12 points

Votes

#1: 1 (kindiman)
    #2: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    #3: 0
    HM: 3 (DIPSET, NeoCweeny, Nimbat1003)

Information

Release date: NA: November 22, EU: December 1
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Tactical shooter, first-person shooter
    Platform(s): PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I have to confess something....I lovey Rainbow Six: Vegas. The best FPS I think I've ever played but maybe that might be a stretch akin to someone taking one too many sledgehammers to the breadbasket. Vegas is the greatest of settings and watching the neon glow of the city from a helicopter was always a sight to behold. Terrorist Hunt is utterly sensational, hunting every last one of those balaclava bozos down was a hoot whether you planned a well-orchestrated attack or you're walking around nervously suspecting to be shot out from any direction. The guns felt so lethal and exacting to use as well which really substantiated the enjoyment I had playing it. So glad it made the list and almost cracked the top 10-so kudos to @kindiman @DIPSET @NeoCweeny and @Nimbat1003 for voting it in as well.

• Rainbow Six Vegas is actually a game I played from 2006, but it squarely at the bottom, 10th overall.

From what I remember, it was a decent tactical shooter and the fact it took place in Las Vegas was neat, but I can't remember for the life of me what happens. However, I DO have a memory that I THINK is in this game where you have to sneak past one of the top terrorists who is looking out of this HUGE window, and if you're seen, she bolts and it's an insta-fail. Since it was my dad's copy, we cheesed it to where there's a rail right below the window and we, VERY. SLOWLY. practically crawled so the A.I. didn't read it as movement, but it worked.

Anyway, while I don't have any negative feelings towards R6:V, I lament the franchise has gone multiplayer, and in the soon to be released Extraction, co-op, but that's Ubisoft for ya.