Your Pop-Tarts & Toaster Strudels for Q1 2022 (Jan-Mar)

• Time to channel our hype and cynicism again and pick 2 games coming out in the upcoming quarter (January-March), one Pop-Tart and one Toaster Strudel.

As a reminder:

• Your Pop-Tart is the game you want to bring attention to because you strongly believe it's going to be awesome. It can be an obscure game that's being overlooked, or a AAA game that you just know will be worth the hype, or anything in between.
    • Your Toaster Strudel is the game you have a bad feeling about. Ideally, not a game you have no interest in, but rather something you'd want to be good but is currently raising too many red flags.

• My Pop-Tart: Triangle Strategy (March 4th)

Youtube Video

I can't get enough of this art style, I find it absolutely gorgeous. I loved Octopath Traveler so I have complete faith in the studio, I love the tactics genre, and what I played of the demo was very promising, especially since the devs again took all the feedback on board and have made tons of improvements since. I don't see how this one could go wrong, it's one of my most anticipated games of the year.

Honorable mention to Weird West, also very promising.

• My Toaster Strudel: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (January 28th)

Youtube Video

After the reveal, I wanted to believe the game would gradually show signs of improvement, but the very latest trailer that dropped a few days ago still shows the exact same footage we've seen twenty times, and now I'm worried.

I can tolerate sub-par graphics, but I'm starting to feel like there isn't much to the game itself at this point. What do you even do in this game? The world looks extremely empty, and all they've shown is you sneaking up on Pokémon, fighting them one-on-one, and... that's it? They mentioned crafting but have they shown it? How does it tie into the rest of the gameplay?

As it stands, it feels even more basic than traditional Pokémon games. I don't see what it brings to the table at all. Hopefully I missed something, or they're keeping other features close to their chest, but it's hard to believe.

• Pop Tart

Weird West(31st march).
    Immersive sim from Raphaël Colantonios new studio(wolfeye) after leaving ARKANE(Dishonoured and Prey)
    i also found this while looking for the game so u can enjoy this as well
    Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Toaster Strudel

Babylon's Fall(march 3rd)
    yeah Platinum can often miss especially in games they don't see to be fully in charge of and square enix Often does the same(the quiet man and balan wonderworld.)
    the newest gameplay still looks pretty ehh.

Youtube Video

i was tempted to put pokemon but i dont really care that much about pokemon in the first place and legends just dosnt look that good.

• @axel said:

the very latest trailer that dropped a few days ago still shows the exact same footage we've seen twenty times

We can tell from the levels in some of the trailers that aside from some area shots they've been only showing the very early game. (around Level 20)

What do you even do in this game? The world looks extremely empty, and all they've shown is you sneaking up on Pokémon, fighting them one-on-one, and... that's it?

One of the newer trailers revealed a Trainer Fight against one of the Wardens, so there might be a sparse amount of those throughout. There's also the Noble Pokemon encounters, which we know there will be a handful of. Then there's whatever general story is going on since the game appears to be more story focused. Probably expect lots of NPC quests involving Pokemon as well. It was also confirmed some time ago that the game has online trading with other real players, but I think it still won't have battling other players, although I'm not sure how much that really adds honestly. I think the general loop will be doing quests in one area while filling out your Pokedex until you reach a certain research level to progress to the Noble Pokemon quest, and then from there you probably get shoved to the next area with story stuff happening throughout culminating in learning how the Hisui Region becomes the Sinnoh Region with whatever is going on with Arceus, the Nobles, and any other Legendary / Mythical Pokemon the story includes. (Sinnoh is known for having a ton of them)

They mentioned crafting but have they shown it?

Yeah, they've shown it. There's stuff to gather out in the world, or from traveling merchants, and also sometimes on Pokemon when you catch them, and you use the materials to craft various "tools" to help you out in the field while you do your Pokemon thing ranging from balls to actually catch them in to recovery items for your Pokemon to utility items that make catching hard to snag ones easier. I think it'll be pretty basic from what they've shown as far as game crafting systems these days go.

As it stands, it feels even more basic than traditional Pokémon games.

It is definitely a different thing more focused on the Pokedex and the encounters with the wild Pokemon since you'll be dodging their attacks yourself at times while trying to create opportunities to capture, document them, and study them.

I don't see what it brings to the table at all.

Open world. No battle transitions so everything flows better. Pokemon are more naturally sprinkled around and living in the world. If you just run at a Flying Pokemon it can fly away before you catch it, encouraging more stealth and consideration. Their animations have also been improved so they're not swivel pivoting on the spot anymore in an immersion breaking way. Combat system is basically ATB now instead of full Turn Based and Attacks have two styles you can use them in that effect how much damage they do and how often you can use them. Then there's all the traversal Pokemon leading to things like your Fly Pokemon actually flying you around the world instead of being a menu destination select.

Hopefully I missed something, or they're keeping other features close to their chest, but it's hard to believe.

Ever since Sun and Moon showed basically the whole game and postgame before launch, which they got alot of negative feedback for, they've been more aware of making sure to hold some stuff back. That said, I can't really say how much is being held back. I'm hoping for a beefier story of events surrounding the Legendary Pokemon and such, but I don't expect a ton of significant new mechanics beyond what they've shown off. This game is definitely focused on exploration and catching Pokemon, so if that's your thing you'll probably enjoy it. If battling trainers is more why you like Pokemon, then I'd probably say avoid this one. It isn't about a Gym Challenge and becoming the Champion.

• Pop-Tart: Total War: Warhammer III (February 17th)
    As the only person in the forums who plays the Total War series, I'm obligated to remind people that these games are great. It's releasing in the middle of a busy month so I don't want it to get overlooked. I just wish my PC wasn't turning into a Toaster Strudel, so I could fully enjoy this game at high settings.

Youtube Video

Toaster Strudel: Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (March 18th)
    I played both demos but only finished the first demo. The combat wasn't doing it for me and wow does it look and run bad on PS5. The unstable frame rate and stuttering camera movement had me feeling very sick by the end of the first demo. The second demo didn't seem to fix those issues. Also the characters seem really dumb. Chaos!

Youtube Video

• Pop-Tart: Horizon Forbidden West
    Yeah I'm going the safe route here. When I finished HZD I took mental notes of all the things that a sequel could improve, and from what we have seen so far, I really think that they have checked nearly all my mental notes. My biggest concern right now is the story, but if the Frozen Wilds DLC is anything to go by, I think they could deliver at the very least a worthwhile story.

Toaster Strudel: Pokemon Legends Arceus
    It certainly is different from the mainline Pokemon games, but I dunno if it is for the better. Will the bigger areas be fun to explore? Will the game introduce a new depth in the Pokemon interactions? Will we care about the story? I'm leaning on no for all of em'.

• Pop Tart-Horizon: Forbidden West
    It's a huge Playstation exclusive that looks absolutely gorgeous and should be an exciting and impactful game even if it might fundamentally be similar to Zero Dawn. I am intrigued by how Forbidden West will amaze in terms of scale.

Toaster Strudel-GRID Legends
    Admittedly I was torn between putting Dying Light 2 or GRID Legends in the Toaster Strudel Spot. 2019's GRID was a big letdown for me and I don't think Legends is going to be vastly different in this regard. Dying Light 2 has raised red flags for me because I worry it's going to be another huge open-world dumping ground for collectibles and tedious missions, but at least there's ambition here to make something tasty whereas GRID: Legends looks like it'll be largely similar fare to its predecessor but oh look it has trucks in it.

• @mbun Yeah I get that the appeal is supposed to be the open-world exploration, and I would be excited about that... if it didn't look just as basic as the Wild Area in Sword and Shield. It may be larger, but that's it.

Maybe they're really bad at making trailers, but nothing they've shown tells me that there's anything to see in this barren world except for sparse roaming Pokémon. Traversal itself doesn't seem particularly interesting, sure you'll have ride Pokémon but are there any areas that are challenging to reach in any way?

Morrowind had a more interesting open-world 20 years ago. In a post-BotW world, it's not enough to just say "We're open-world!"

So anyway, I hope it turns out more interesting than it looks so far, I'd buy it day one if they gave me one good reason, but I don't see it yet.