Surreal And Weird Videogame Moments

• I'm certain there are a bunch of videogame moments that make you think WTF. Some are hard to explain and others might make you feel something profound. I think the following cutscene from Twilight Princess is both haunting and strange which coincides seamlessly with the game's aesthetic. In some ways I do feel Twilight Princess is the best TLoZ game especially artistically:
    Youtube Video

• I have a few:

1. The final chapter of Gravity Rush 2. This is where the game an all time favorite for me. Some of the craziest shit I've seen in any game.
    2. The first 10-20 minutes after opening the doors of Iram of the Pillars in Uncharted 3. It's just so trippy.
    3. The whole goddamn Big Shell section in MGS 2. Obviously when the most important story points are revealed it gets pretty insane, but I was already uncomfortable since the Plant section started. The way almost everyone talks to Raiden is hostile, and the way the Big Shell is designed to be frustrating to explore accentuates that feeling.
    4. Seeing what is inside the Statue of Liberty in GTA IV. This blew my mind back then, probably one of my favorite secrets ever tbh.
    5. The entirety of Inside. If you played it you would know. I don't think I never knew what was going on when I played this.

• when we found out that Metroid Dread wasn't just mew under the truck bullshit and actually exists...

• @yoshi When's the wedding proposal?

• What's coming to me off the top of my head is the Master Hand from Smash Bro's on N64.

Honestly, Smash Bro's is one of my original gaming memories and I'd play the linear campaign mode or whatever it's called where you face people until you reach the Master Hand. And even in an already weird game, the Master Hand is just extra weird.

Youtube Video

I know as a grown man, there isn't anything scary about him. But when I'd face him, even for the 50th time, he still scared me a bit. It's something about the chaotic energy of the whole sequence. His music is a gonzo mix of a few Mario tunes all mashed up with slap bass and other crazy instruments overtop. He has way more moves and quick, jerky, sportatic animations. He does a finger gun gesture towards you and flames come out of his back. He punches you, slaps you, slams on top of you. The BG aesthetic is just a chaotic kaleidoscope of colour.

Long time gamers don't bat an eye at some of the weird stuff throughout gaming history and I think we just say "Oh yeah, Master Hand in Smash Bro's is cool" but really think about it. This boss battle is absolutely bonkers and has basically no connecting tissue to any Nintendo series before it and he borders on the edge of being too intense for a kids game. Watching that video back, I still think the whole idea of Master Hand is strange, but I can safely say, he had me shaking as a little kid.

• I feel like the Playstation/Saturn/N64 generation was loaded with this stuff. Playing Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time, the whole game gave me the heebs. Love it now but I had no idea what was going on when I played it at release.

• @dipset I always thought the idea of Master Hand is that they're the "game master." The opening of the game shows the hand playing around with the characters like action figures.

• @demonpirate

You know I forgot about that context. You're probably right. Or the setup for the Smash Bro's series leaves enough up for interpretation for a few different viewpoints about what's actually happening.

For me though, the Master Hand boss fight stands out as extra bizarre and somewhat frightening.

• @dipset said in Surreal And Weird Videogame Moments:

@demonpirate

You know I forgot about that context. You're probably right. Or the setup for the Smash Bro's series leaves enough up for interpretation for a few different viewpoints about what's actually happening.

For me though, the Master Hand boss fight stands out as extra bizarre and somewhat frightening.

I still remember the theory that popped up on YouTube that Smash Bros was some autistic kids dream or something to that effect.

The music festival from Psychonauts 2 is pretty surreal, along with The Milkman Conspiracy from the 1st.
    One manages to take you on a psychedelic trip while tackling a couple heavy themes without actually inducing them (sensory overload for instance). While the other manages to make you feel like your being watched by everything and if your not careful can get you turned around.