Best Dungeons (Spoilers)

• What are your favorite dungeons in games, and why?

My favorites are:

Heaven from Persona 4
    alt text
    -The song "Heaven" is one of my favorite songs ever made. Even it's remixes are phenomenal.
    -One of the most emotionally charged in the game.
    -Beautiful aesthetic.

Nevermore from Ni No Kuni
    alt text
    -Like the rest of the game, incredibly beautiful but it takes things to a whole other level.
    -Literally twisted.
    -You feel like the game has all been leading up to this moment and it does not disappoint. Nevermore is a castle worthy of the Dark Djinn.

• Blackreach and the Forgotten Vale from Skyrim. They're actually some of the only "open world" dungeons.

• The GFS Valhalla (lol that name) from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I dare you to find a spookier or more atmospheric area from a non-horror action/adventure game.

• Twilight Princess... Twilight Princess.

• Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask. Good difficulty, great gimmick, fantastic atmosphere:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2585.html

Youtube Video

Also, the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim are pretty damn good.

• @Oscillator said in Best Dungeons (Spoilers):

Also, the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim are pretty damn good.

I'm glad someone else appreciates them! It's easy to get turned off by the maze-like corridors, Falmer, and poisoning chaurus, but Dwemer ruins are some of the most atmospheric places in Skyrim with excellent lore to boot. Kagrenzel and the Sightless pit (pictured) in particular are some of my favorite. The later is more of a horror dungeon than practically anywhere else in the game.

alt text

• Caverns of Chaos in ADOM
    That is the Main dungeon of ADOM. You can't just plow through it just like any other dungeon, you need to at least go through two different places (one, if you want to fight one of the toughest enemies in game, which constantly keeps resurrecting even if you kill it.) in order to go to bottom of it, where you can end the game. And if you want to go deeper than that, which you can do, requires even more. And all the side-branches it has are interesting. Yes, majority of it is randomly generated, but it does have some consistent elements, like arena, dwarftown, animated forest etc., so if you are seasoned veteran of the game, you can expect what to find and where, but can get some surprises.

• Hmm off the top of my head I'd have to go with

Forest Temple - Ocarina of Time
    Aribter's Grounds - Twilight Princess
    Ayleid Ruins - Oblivion

• Don't know if you want to count them as a dungeons, but the Luke Smith designed raids in Destiny (i.e. Vault of Glass and King's Fall).

• Just so many dungeons to choose from the Zelda series. To me, they have always been the best at encapsulating all the right facets of a dungeon. Having an emphasis on navigation, combat, and puzzles.

Just to list off a bunch I really like:

Zelda 2: The Great Temple
    A Link to the Past: Eastern Palace, Ganon's Tower
    Link's Awakening: Pretty much every single one in the game aside from Face Shrine.
    Ocarina of Time: Pretty much every one of the Adult Link temples.
    Majora's Mask: Stone Tower, Woodfall Temple and Snowhead Temple.
    Oracle of Seasons: Gnarled Root, Ancient Ruins, Explorer's Crypt, Sword and Shield Maze
    Oracle of Ages: Spirit's Grave, Moonlit Grotto, Skull Dungeon, Ancient Tomb
    Wind Waker: Tower of the Gods, Earth Temple
    Four Swords Adventures: Pyramid of Power
    Minish Cap: Palace of Winds
    Twilight Princess: Arbiters Grounds, Forest Temple, Temple of Time, SnowPeak Ruins
    Phantom Hourglass: Mutoh's Temple
    Spirit Tracks: Ocean Temple, Fire Temple, Sand Temple, Forest Temple
    Skyward Sword: Most of them in the game.
    A Link Between Worlds: Most of them in the game.
    Breath of the Wild: Stay tuned. ;)

• @Haru17 said in Best Dungeons (Spoilers):

• The GFS Valhalla (lol that name) from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I dare you to find a spookier or more atmospheric area from a non-horror action/adventure game.

Metroid has so many great dungeon-like areas. The Valhalla is supremely creepy. I legitimately dislike being there, but I also love it for how unsettling it is. All the dead bodies of federation troopers and space pirates really make it ominous. And the Metroids that will attack you on sight of course. They are a bit mean.