Pokemon Scarlet & Violet

• look at that Fire Croc he's such a good boi!!!!!

Youtube Video

• Additional Information

I have thoughts, but later. Also, yep Team Fuecoco the Fire Croc Pokemon.

• I have just come to terms that Pokemon is not for me anymore. I've played every entry since Black 2 (including remakes) and enjoyed them quite a bit. The first ones I haven't purchased are BD/SP and Arceus. I don't know if it's a case of growing up or the new direction Game Freak is headed in, but this all looks so boring and lifeless.
    I'm glad some people enjoy it but I am definitely off the train.

• @demonpirate said in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet:

I have just come to terms that Pokemon is not for me anymore. I've played every entry since Black 2 (including remakes) and enjoyed them quite a bit. The first ones I haven't purchased are BD/SP and Arceus.

not playing brilliant diamond and shining pearl, yeah i get it. Pokemon has become extremely stale.

but you're missing out if you haven't tried Pokemon Arceus Legends. it's actually the best pokmon game in about 20 years now. Arceus Legends isn't perfect by any means but it changes the formula just enough to make pokemon exciting and extremely addictive again.

Arceus Legends gameplay is definitely the start of the franchise's future instead of the same old 8 gym leaders and elite four as usual

• @demonpirate
    I hadn't played any pokemon games after Ruby and Sapphire (and the two Gamecube games) Shield was the first one in forever I picked up and my first immediate thought was what the fuck happened to the rivals? Like Hop or whatever his name is doesn't feel like a rival, it doesn't feel good to beat him. Hell the 3 or so battles i had with him before getting bored left me feeling like I beat up a special needs kid or something.

• @DemonPirate Legends Arceus is a pretty different style of gameplay focused on catching if you've always preferred catching to battling, but if you prefer the trainer battles, then yeah stay away. It is funny to hear you say it looks boring and lifeless though, because specifically with Legends Arceus and now with Scarlet and Violet they're making more of an effort to make the Pokemon more naturally blend into the world and seem like they belong there. They've also been improving their models, like you can clearly see with Seviper in the Scarlet and Violet trailer, as well as the animations and movements so you don't have dumb looking Pokemon pivoting 180s on a dime anymore that people mocked for ages. That second part is already in Legends Arceus, and it makes them look way more natural moving around in the wild.
    0_1646056728055_Seviper.png
    I think with alot of people the low res textures are just a turn off that's hard to accept, but with the level of action going on in the new style of gameplay, on top of being built as open world, sadly that's just where the Switch is at right now. I noticed in the Scarlet and Violet trailer how in the cave scene the walls have decent looking textures for the floor still doesn't, and that's probably because being more enclosed they can afford to get a bit fancier there. Meanwhile you see the town square with the type symbols in that one scene with more NPCs moving around, Pokemon living in the town (which you can catch in the town itself now!), and other various complex geometry with the buildings and general decoration, so the floor texture is hilariously muddy looking as a compromise to ensure a rock solid framerate even in that environment.
    0_1646056864713_Cave.png

@yoshi said:

Arceus Legends gameplay is definitely the start of the franchise's future instead of the same old 8 gym leaders and elite four as usual

Scarlet and Violet will probably be a mix of the two. I think Gyms are too iconic to the series to fully get rid of forever, but they'll iterate on them and change how they work similar to Sun and Moon from time to time.

@DMCMaster You missed most of the actually worst rivals, like the awful crew from Gen 6 and Hau from Gen 7 who is like a purposeless Hop that does nothing but stuff his face with Masaladas in every town you visit. Bede in Sword / Shield was GameFreak answering fans who wanted a new jerk rival, so I don't mind having Hop there too even though he doesn't really pay off until the postgame. Marnie was the rival in Sword / Shield that felt absolutely pointless to me. I feel like GameFreak was doing commentary on the fanbase falling in love with emotionless husk characters with Team Yell worshiping Marnie, but instead of getting the joke Marnie just became popular like the rest of the emotionless husk characters. Marnie's brother Piers actually has interesting stuff going on, but then at the end he just hands the Gym down to Marnie, who immediately foregoes the interesting aspects and becomes an ultra generic replacement.