Let's talk about Paragon

• Of all the games that are talked about, this one seems to always slide under the radar. However, back before it began the alpha, I didn't think I would enjoy this game as much as I am. I've been playing for many months now, and based on the speed in which the game is progressing, mixed with how well Epic Games listens to Reddit, I really think this game will become the next MOBA giant within 1 year.

Anyone else agree?

• I managed to get a code a couple of months ago and played a few matches. It was OK overall, visually stunning and I could even consider gameplay to be good, but after these few matches I didn't felt any need to continue playing it. It's moba after all. I got two heroes that fit my playstyle, but it got repetitive really quick. it's a great MOBA, and if you manage to get a few friends to tag along, you can get many hours of enjoyment, but I didn't felt any reason to stick with it.

• @Nillend yeah it is still in development so there are not only much more heroes to be released, but also pretty drastic gameplay changes coming within the next month or so.

• I picked up the (I forget the name of the package) pack that had ALL the challenge skins now and forever with it, had a blast with a few friends and I'm amazed every time I go back to the game and seeing the changes they've made.

Shocks me that more people aren't talking about it because they're doing a hell of a job.

• I tried to jump into it, but a lot of things were confusing as it is in the works. Heard about a nice update, but, sadly, I had to delete the game because the game constantly gets 2gig+ updates every time I turn on my PS4.

• I played it in the spring and followed the updates for a while, but all I saw was a game made by average MOBA players with no real understanding of MOBAs.
    For example, they had stealth pads for no other reason than LoL has bushes, it made no sense at all to have it in their game. Then the list just went on and on with poor design decisions that made the game less fun to play. It didn't help that the devs didn't focus on what they're actually good at and differentiate themselves from other MOBAs. The heroes having bland kits and visual designs just added up to creating a game that lacked a clear direction and that just wasn't fun.
    The changes I saw in their patchnotes didn't lift my spirits, especially when they kept drastically changing things all the time.
    It really just feels like a MOBA made by people that don't really understand MOBAs.

It's a shame because the devs are passionate and have good communication/interaction with the community, but it really is one of the weakest MOBAs on the market right now and there's no real reason to play it over something like Smite, Dota or whatever unless you really like the graphical quality and visual style. That or maybe the card deck system (which is a neat idea, but very flawed).

That said, I don't feel any MOBA is worth getting into unless you play it casually with some friends.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Let's talk about Paragon:

Shocks me that more people aren't talking about it because they're doing a hell of a job.

Welcome to the Monster Hunter fandom!

• Global Moderator

Funny you should mention Paragon. I have been playing a lot of it as well. Ever since they introduced the founders pack. I really like it and I've never really have played any MOBA's before. I was about to start playing a lot of SMITE. Since that came out on PSR fianlly and I tried out the beta. That was the first MOBA I really bothered to learn how to play. It was still over whelming so I stopped playing it once Paragon founders pack was out.

You are right about EPIC taking the feedback seriously. They have listened and made changes players were having problems with. Its only going to get better I think. My only complaint is the lack of more healer characters like Muriel. There are support characters and yes they got the much needed buff to lay down actual support damage. That's just me I have enjoyed the new characters. Recently "The Fey" pretty solid character abilitys works really well with a coordinated team.

• @Swordfish00830 nice! the only other moba I've played was Awesomenauts. I can't get into traditional mobas. I main Khaimera and Grux.

• @Aspersio said in Let's talk about Paragon:

Of all the games that are talked about, this one seems to always slide under the radar. However, back before it began the alpha, I didn't think I would enjoy this game as much as I am. I've been playing for many months now, and based on the speed in which the game is progressing, mixed with how well Epic Games listens to Reddit, I really think this game will become the next MOBA giant within 1 year.

Anyone else agree?

Bolded part first;
    I think Paragon has suffered from a lot of things that aren't necessarily their own faults.
    They announced their game during a period of massive genre fatigue, which is a hard enough thing to overcome if your game is good, but then they also had to deal with all the gaming press being drawn to either the hilarity of Battleborn being sooooo 2011 or the pros and cons debates of Overwatch's existence. Even after getting out of that publicity hole, they've still got to drag people's attention away from other stuff they're already attached to which is where their listening to fans comes in.

Positive press from outside media is what's going to grow this game, and the only real way they can garner that is by continuing to listen to criticisms and use them to construct a better environment for the players. There's a whole bunch of steam that can be gained purely from sticking to that player first mantra, and I agree that it might break out in the MOBA landscape, but there's also a whole lot of trust that can get thrown down the toilet for something as seemingly minor as an "Overwatch's Olympic Games skins scheme" - again, not entirely due to their own fault, but because there are so many other games out there that set unfortunate precedents that at the very least polarize a LOT of people it might be disastrous.

• I loathe MOBAs. It's the one single genre that I could never get into, despite trying many of them several times. I can't stand anything about them....yet, Paragon hooks me for some odd reason. Maybe it's that you actually feel the combat through the Third person action perspective? I dunno, but something about rapidly clicking for 40 minutes in a bland, repetitive environment with ugly art assets just never got me hooked.

Paragon seems heavily flawed but it's really fun when the matches work out well. I am actually afraid that I've spent too much time on it recently, but it's gorgeous, it has great animations, the character design is top notch, and the combat mechanics feel like what other MOBAs fail to do, yet try so hard to be.

• @Solipsis I relate so much to what you said. I can't stand traditional mobas, mostly because it looks and plays like an RTS. I loved Awesomenauts, which broke the mold, and yeah, Epic has unrivaled character design. I also really enjoy playing with the deck system. I'm normally an FPS player, yet I am enjoying Paragon more than Overwatch.

• Global Moderator

I try to play a bit of everything a tank, jungler, carry, support. So I made decks for the ones I use. I like that they added prebuilt decks and its more beginner friendly now with more explaination on how the game is played. There are still players who think this is Team Deathmatch most kills wins type of game. Those end dying within the first couple of minutes of the match. Also it goes without saying but there will always be the not so friendly players. Who yell at others including veterans and beginners. This is a team game you can win with a group of strangers I've done it mutiple times. I'm level 45 and finally got one character to master rank over the double XP event.

Don't let those type of players discourage you from trying the game out more. If you need help feel free to message me on PSN/PS4 where I play.
    PSN:Swordfish00830

• @Swordfish00830 nice, I'm level 32. I found your agora . Here is mine. https://agora.gg/profile/Aspersio-

• Global Moderator

I did not know my stats this site is neat.