Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2005

• With our 2021 GOTY election completed, it's time once again to acknowledge the best video games from past years. For this retro GOTY election we are voting for our favorite games of 2005!

Here are the rules:

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but you must at least have a Top 4.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2005, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2005 are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones are eligible.
    • Full remakes are eligible.

May 14th is the last day to submit your votes. I might add more days to vote but only if more votes are needed. Make sure to look over the list of eligible games below carefully before submitting your list. Thank you and have fun!

• Suggested List of Eligible Games:

January

Resident Evil 4, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, Banjo-Pilot, The Punisher, Virtua Quest, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Playboy: The Mansion, Emergency 3: Mission Life, Suikoden IV

February

Gran Turismo 4, Shadow of Rome, Shaman King: Legacy of the Spirits, Star Fox: Assault, WarioWare: Touched!, Nano Breaker, Xenosaga Episode II, FIFA Street, MVP Baseball 2005, Ace Combat Advance, Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, Project Snowblind, Fight Night Round 2, Star Wars: Republic Commando, Project Altered Beast, Tenchu: Fatal Shadows

March

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Pokémon Dash, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Yoshi Touch & Go, Act of War: Direct Action, Cold Fear, Musashi: Samurai Legend, Phantom Dust, Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge, MX vs. ATV Unleashed, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, God of War, The Matrix Online, Metal Gear Acid, Shining Tears, Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Twisted Metal: Head-On, Wipeout Pure, Mario Party Advance, Dynasty Warriors 5, Red Ninja: End of Honor, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

April

Rise of the Kasai, Lego Star Wars: The Video Game, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, SWAT 4, Close Combat: First to Fight, Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition, Jade Empire, Polarium, Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict, Psychonauts, WWE WrestleMania 21, Haunting Ground, Guild Wars, NBA Street Showdown, Predator: Concrete Jungle, Stronghold 2, Empire Earth II

May

Pokémon Emerald, Forza Motorsport, Everybody's Golf Portable, Pariah, Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, Cold Winter, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Advent Rising

June

Medal of Honor: European Assault, Juiced, Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Arc the Lad: End of Darkness, Batman Begins, Battlefield 2, Destroy All Humans!, Mega Man Battle Network 5, Meteos, Dead to Rights: Reckoning, Riviera: The Promised Land

July

Façade, Coded Arms, Killer7, Nanostray, Colosseum: Road to Freedom, Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome, Worms 4: Mayhem

August

Madden NFL 06, Geist, Death Jr., Dungeon Siege II, Pac 'n Roll, Sigma Star Saga, Nintendogs, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, 187 Ride or Die, Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Mario Superstar Baseball, WWE Day of Reckoning 2

September

Fahrenheit, Radiata Stories, One Piece: Grand Battle!, Armored Core: Nine Breaker, Burnout Legends, Burnout Revenge, Evil Dead: Regeneration, GripShift, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, DK King of Swing, Frantix, Tak: The Great Juju Challenge, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, Gretzky NHL 2006, Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes, Legend of Kay, Myst V: End of Ages, We Love Katamari, Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects, X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse, Ultimate Spider-Man, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06, Far Cry Instincts, Lost in Blue, Lunar: Dragon Song, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown, Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2, Battalion Wars, Urban Reign, Sniper Elite

October

Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, FIFA 06, Mega Man Zero 4, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Black & White 2, Virtua Tennis: World Tour, The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge, L.A. Rush, SOCOM 3 U.S. Navy SEALs, Serious Sam 2, SSX on Tour, Devil Kings, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, F.E.A.R., The Warriors, Quake 4, Age of Empires III, Jak X: Combat Racing, Shadow of the Colossus, Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Crash Tag Team Racing, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Metroid Prime Pinball, Call of Duty 2, Civilization IV, Gunstar Super Heroes, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Soulcalibur III, Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood, Spartan: Total Warrior, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Blitz: The League, Pro Evolution Soccer 5, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2

November

From Russia with Love, Call of Duty 2: Big Red One, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Star Wars: Battlefront II, Mario Party 7, The Matrix: Path of Neo, Fatal Frame III: The Tormented, Guitar Hero, Gun, SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo, Suikoden Tactics, The Lord of the Rings: Tactics, The Movies, Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!, Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble, Mario Kart DS, Shadow the Hedgehog, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Infected, Magna Carta: Crimson Stigmata, Kingdom of Paradise, Sonic Rush, True Crime: New York City, WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, 50 Cent: Bulletproof, Perfect Dark Zero, King Kong, College Hoops 2K6, Kameo: Elements of Power, Amped 3, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Ridge Racer 6, SBK: Snowboard Kids, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, Super Mario Strikers, Trapt, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Project Gotham Racing 3

December

Animal Crossing: Wild World, Mario Tennis: Power Tour, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, Armored Core: Formula Front, Chaos Field, Dead or Alive 4

Late Additions

Michigan: Report from Hell, MapleStory, Kessen III, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, Donkey Konga 2, Mega Man Zero 4, He-Man - Defender of Grayskull, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Tekken 5

Comment below if you want any games added to this list.

• Votes submitted. I like the amount of games I played from this year (13), though I want to say only about three or four get any replay out of me.

And while I don't talk about games on my ballot until they're revealed/end of the list, I WILL discuss a game that's ineligible because of the criteria above:

Final Fantasy IV: Advance RULES. Its the one version of FF IV I've played, and even though it's not the original, the PSP, or DS versions, the story, characters, world, and music are timeless to me. Cecil, Kain, and their dynamic is fascinating. Going to the underworld is just as hype to me as going to the Moon. Celtic Moon is probably one of my all time favorite themes from any game. It's one of my top 5 Final Fantasies, is (currently as of writing) my 42nd favorite game of all time, and I had to show it some love because it can't be on the list proper.

• Surprise! I've managed to find 5 games I've played, so my vote is submitted. But I'm sure I'll be the only one voting for them (maybe with one exception), because none of them are good.

• So I only have 4 games that I'm confident in giving a vote, and three more games that I haven't played but potentially will give a vote, so I'll hold my votes until I can play them. Shout out to SWAT 4, an amazing tactical FPS, and possibly the coolest game I'll never finish.

• What a great year. I need to think about this.

Shoutout to Jak X!

• What a beast of a year for games! I've got almost 20 games from 2005 that I've much enjoyed, gonna take a moment to rank them and make some hard cuts. Some instant classics there, they'll most likely steal my top spots, but then to whom do I give the HMs... So many darlings here.

• I was only 12/13 in 2005 so wasn't afforded the luxury of playing many games at this time but those I did play were pretty damn good by my estimation.

• @jdincinerator Same for me, some of the games that will be on my list I played years after release.

• Michigan: Report from Hell added to the list of eligible games.

Youtube Video

• I played a lot of really awesome Swimmin' in 7's in 2005/2006.

Some of them, despite their average gameplay and non-legacy, are cherished in my heart because of the memories playing in my friends house all summer. Games like Kameo, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, ​GripShift, ​F.E.A.R​, and a lot more were super cool.

2005 also has some all-timers for me. Looking at this list, I can barely narrow down the all timers let alone include the 7's. Unbelievable how spoiled we used to be. This year has SOCOM 3, Battlefield 2, and Call of Duty 2 in the shooter genre alone. Those were debatably the best in their respective franchises. And that's just one genre.

Damn...

Still a dream car of mine since 2005:
    0_1650899677746_68003c30-6881-4315-9930-9850ed75da79-image.png

• I've put my list in. To be honest though, World of Warcraft really would have taken the number one slot, that game dominated 2005 for me. It was one of quite a few games that crossed 2004/2005 based on the US/EU release date though so I left it off.

• @dipset I think FEAR is really amazing. Definitely more than a 7 imo.

• @neocweeny

It felt like a 7/10 on PS3 but I too love it. I haven't played the far superior PC/360 versions ever.

I also liked FEAR2 despite it being a bit more generic.

• @dipset What are your thoughts on F3AR?

• @dipset Yeah, I heard that version got some issues. Just like a lot of early PS3 ports.

• @jdincinerator

Tbh, I haven't played it. But I've wanted to do a series playthough on PC since I built my first one in 2011. Still haven't done that yet.

• Week 1 update: 9 lists have been submitted with 2 weeks left to vote.

That's a good start, keep those lists coming!

• I'm having trouble making a list but I'll try.

• Just a heads up - I added a few more games to the eligible games list.