Bethesda VP: The Evil Within and RAGE merited follow-ups

• PC Gamer - Article

This is a very loose thread as this is essentially PR-talk, albeit - still great to hear as opposed to silence.

What are your thoughts on this? Does TEW or Rage deserve sequels? What did you like or dislike about these titles, and what would you expect/desire in a potential sequel?

The Evil Within 2 or Alien Isolation 2 would be my most anticipated sequels if they were announced. I said this back in the GT Forums (where Frag disagreed with me, and he was correct in his opinion too) that TEW was so close to being a classic. I said it plays almost like a poor mans TLOU but with much more consequential and intense survival gameplay. If it had the buttery polish in control that TLOU had, and potentially not an end game combat room where enemies enter in waves, then we'd have an extremely great game. Instead, we got a very good one with some flaws.

Another user debated me saying that the game actually controls and plays better than most Japanese action games do and can stand on its own in the western market.

On the other hand, RAGE had extremely fun and somewhat unpredictable AI, and the car combat was fun, but the world felt like you were walking through a tableaux and there wasn't much weapon variety. It needs to improve a lot for me to care about a sequel.

To elaborate, I felt like I was the only person in the world of RAGE. AI enemies would be an exception, but they don't populate the cities. Bethesda as a publisher should pull resources and see if iD Soft could talk with Bethesda Softworks and see about their philosophy in developing breathing towns.

Those are my opinions. What are yours?

• Just let Machine Games make everything.
    Playing through Wolfenstien TNO again right now. Forgot how fucking outstanding that game is.

• I have high hopes and dreams for Machine Games and despite how I enjoyed TNO even though I rarely play FPS anymore, they NEED to be the ones to make the official sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

Their team is made up of former Riddick developers. Does Atari even exist anymore? Get that IP Bethesda and give it to Machine Games!

• Huber. Huber? HUBER!?!

• Didn't play TEW but I was a really big fan of RAGE. I would agree though that the cities just seemed a little too empty and quiet. I really mostly enjoyed the FPS, I loved the weapons and the different things you could build like turrets, deadly boomerangs and those spider robots. The AI was so fun to fight against since some of the enemies would climb on walls, juke and dodge your attacks. Then add in the game was really beautiful and I just really enjoyed messing around in it. Id be very interested to see a sequel or even a cheap remaster since the game had a lot of texture load in on PS3.

• said in Bethesda VP: The Evil Within and RAGE merited follow-ups:

Does TEW or Rage deserve sequels?

TEW? Yes.
    Rage? Less so.

TEW is one of the best recent survival horror games in a long time and while it might not have been a masterpiece it laid a very strong foundation.
    Rage did some things really well and had some interesting ideas, but that's about it. So if they could turn that into a great sequel then sure.

• @TheMarcV said in Bethesda VP: The Evil Within and RAGE merited follow-ups:

Didn't play TEW but I was a really big fan of RAGE. I would agree though that the cities just seemed a little too empty and quiet. I really mostly enjoyed the FPS, I loved the weapons and the different things you could build like turrets, deadly boomerangs and those spider robots. The AI was so fun to fight against since some of the enemies would climb on walls, juke and dodge your attacks. Then add in the game was really beautiful and I just really enjoyed messing around in it. Id be very interested to see a sequel or even a cheap remaster since the game had a lot of texture load in on PS3.

I agree with all of this. Rage was a great game despite its issues (and horrible ending). Decapitating enemies with the bladed boomerang was awesome.

• I feel as though a lot of our fond memories towards RAGE came from very great AI. I mean I'd say it was the most fun enemy AI since Resistance Fall of Man on Hard or maybe Halo 3. Most games should have enemies that are as fun as RAGE.

However, we got the weapons quite quickly and it really could have used some Ratchet & Clank or Halo style flare. Besides the boomerang, they weren't too unique.

I don't necessarily WANT more but I'll gladly accept and try more RAGE. Just like TEW, the foundation is there. Let's liven up the cities, make the weapons more creative, up the ante with car combat and mix the elements together more tastefully and I'm sold on Rage 2.

• TEW definitely deserves a follow up, I dont particularly feel like it ABSOLUTELY has to be TEW2 as long as it's another awesome survival horror by Mikami

• I have to have a Rage 2!

• Rage is by far worst ID software game ever. it was one regarded as next big thing only end up as huge faliure plus Mega textures. reputation of ID software was damage until they released Doom 2016. its Rage was the reason why ID software cancelled early Doom 4 that looks like Call of doom.

Im glad ID software bring back Doom and Quake. After new Doom and Quake champions they should make sequel to Doom 2016.

• @Black-Cell said in Bethesda VP: The Evil Within and RAGE merited follow-ups:

Rage is by far worst ID software game ever. it was one regarded as next big thing only end up as huge faliure plus Mega textures. reputation of ID software was damage until they released Doom 2016. its Rage was the reason why ID software cancelled early Doom 4 that looks like Call of doom.

Im glad ID software bring back Doom and Quake. After new Doom and Quake champions they should make sequel to Doom 2016.

Well this is coming from a Bethesda VP. I somehow don't imagine ID would even make a Rage 2. They would likely throw another team on it, but that's just a guess.

• @Black-Cell
    To each their own, I personally loved Rage. I think it had a lot of good things going for it but was also hampered a bit in a few different areas. Never really expected a sequel to it but I'd gladly try it out if it were to ever be created.

• I really liked Rage. It had some of the same texture loading problems of UE 3 (was it 3 that Borderlands used?), but that's what happens when you're a bit too ambitious on engine building, I suppose.

But, it felt so GOOD. It is still one of the best controlling FPS games I've ever played. I think the biggest let down is that they marketed it like FPS Fallout, and it wasn't.

The question I would have is does the BRAND hold up?

I didn't play Evil Within, but I watched some LPs and saw a lot there to like that was unique, especially with the story. I think the brand holds.

Rage, as much as I like it, cribs a LOT from other properties (movies and games), and even marketed itself as things it was not. I think we could get another awesome game, outside the Rage setting, without needing the brand. Hell, sell it on the brand power of Machine Games and call it "Serene" and it would sell. I don't know that Rage moves a product.

• @Sazime said in Bethesda VP: The Evil Within and RAGE merited follow-ups:

I didn't play Evil Within, but I watched some LPs and saw a lot there to like that was unique, especially with the story. I think the brand holds.

I don't know that Rage moves a product.

Yeah, despite some typical Japanese plot convolution, the ambigious nature of the narrative actually tied together into a mostly coherent finale. I WANT more. RAGE, the more I think about it, I actually do want in theory but as you say, the name RAGE isn't exactly a big one.

• I do not get why TEW gets as much love as it does, honestly. I wanted to like this game. I was hyped for it but in the end, I did not care for that game, and I'll tell you why.

The game suffered from bad voice acting. It's a thing that always impacts the game for me and this was a festival of stale performances. This was a contributing factors to me not liking the any of the characters. I could not feel for any of them.
    The padding was real. There was a several hour huge gap in the game were I honestly struggled to remember what I was doing, and why I were doing it.
    It became a "go to this marker because the game told me so", but I felt like some motivation to why I was doing this would be nice. It just felt like the game was too long for it's own good (about 16 hours). I would have been much happier with an 8-9 hour game with a more concentrated and focused story.
    I realised that the gameplay is a taste thing, but I personally didn't like it. It also wasn't very survival horror. Too many enemies and not enough spooky/creepy shit made it an actiony gore game with an underlying "fucked up" theme.
    AND WHY CAN'T I USE THE KNIFE OUTSIDE OF STEALTH KILLS?! I mean holy shit this gameplay fuck up drove me insane. The black bars also drove me insane, thank God they eventually fixed that. And I encountered a lot of bugs. And what was up with the way the enemies exploded? Pre-cut zombies?
    But I did like the final boss. It was a cool fight. And the axe that basically made people explode.

That being said, I would actually love a sequel. There's much potential in this game, and it's painful the way that game ended up being. Here's how I would make TEW2 better than TEW:
    Make it shorter and more concentrated=better flow in the story, more energy put into each area(=less bugs, prettier, scarier)
    Make it actually scary. I wasn't scared once in TEW, fix it. The mansion and the hub world had the right feeling going.
    Don't include black bars. It was more of an obstacle than it created atmosphere.
    Less, but more impactful enemies. There were so many enemies it was basically an action game. You got desensitized to the threat very quickly.
    New and better characters with good voice acting. Please. Don't strive towards the bad voice acting of RE1 or SH1.
    If you're gonna give me a knife, give me a knife. PLEASE.