Games that killed a franchise

• @sheria said in Games that killed a franchise:

@b-cell said in Games that killed a franchise:

@sheria said in Games that killed a franchise:

Interesting take so far on Deus Ex. I personally felt the dumbing down of Invisible War but still consider it better than the two games that followed it.

Its not. not even better than mankind divided let alone human revolution.

Mankind divided is another invisible war like disappointing sequel but still better.

Invisible War took a downgrade gamble by combining ammo and restricting augments. That said it had open areas with multiple approaches much like its predecessor.
    Human revolutions levels were so incredibly linear with no back/side tracking and the approach options were literally find a side vent or approach directly.

There was no inventory in Deus Ex 2. in Human revolution there was full inventory and hub system. in mankind divided there is only one hub and game ended after first boss fight. it was suppose to be one big game but square enix cut it into half for sequel that never came out.

now look at trash like cyberpunk. its open world yet its so lifeless, bland and having generic open world design. CDPR cant make good level design or gameplay.

• @b-cell said in Games that killed a franchise:

@dmcmaster said in Games that killed a franchise:

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-sells-off-western-studios-and-ip-including-tomb-raider-and-deus-ex

yes I just heard it.

Time for Remake of original please.!!

Give it to Obsidian and i'll be open minded.

• Tbh, I loved the vision with Future Prague from Mankind Divided. I absolutely hated the slow menu loading on PS4 though. But the need to constantly bring up the map isn't fantastic game design either. I want to play Deus Ex, Human Revolution, and Mankind Divided on PC one of these days. But the game itself didn't kill the series, Square Enix's poor and mixed message marketing killed the series.

--

I sound like a broken record at this point, but SCE had no clue on how to do multiplayer back in the PS3-era. They thought they could make a MP-only game, give it ZERO marketing and expect it to do single player numbers and keep people coming back. It NEVER happened.

But I'll never forgive them for what they did to the SOCOM franchise.

On one hand, it's easy to say, "Oh SOCOM looks like a generic military game" but trust me, American's eat that MilSim stuff up. The game did huge numbers on PS2 and there was no reason that momentum couldn't carry into PS3.

But nope. Sony greenlights SOCOM Confrontation for PS3. It is developed by the PSP studio Slant Six, who did a great job with the PSP games, but shit the bed with any console release they've ever done. The game was rushed, released broken and buggy, but worst of all, the PSN backend was just too shitty to support this type of MP-only game. Now, Confrontation was patched over time to become and incredible game. I personally loved it after updates. But the damage was already done and SOCOM fans from PS2 moved onto Xbox 360 for COD4 or MW2.

So the SCE somehow refuses to look into the mirror and see how Confrontation was their own fault and not a fault of the game, so they decide to make SOCOM 4 with motion control gimmick single player. The multiplayer mode was just 3rd Person MAG. It felt nothing like SOCOM!

• It was a borderline asset flip from MAG.
    • MP game modes were Respawn instead of Elimination (there was a tagged on half assed 'Classic' mode).
    • Co-op Campaign was the focus but the online networking was really trash.
    • Single player was trying to be cinematic instead of tactical like SOCOM 1-3 (imagine getting Uncharted instead of Ghost Recon).
    • $10 online pass to prevent used game sales.
    • Launches during the Great PSN Outage.

I've never seen a series so mishandled. It's insane because if Sony had any sense whatsoever, they could've just played SOCOM II or 3 online back in 2006-2007 and heard literally everybody in chat saying they were waiting which console to pick, 360 or PS3, based on how the new SOCOM looks. And when COD4 turned out to be about modern war, all of the military fans went to 360 since Confrontation looked like shit off the rip by comparison.

They took a Top 25 franchise on PS2, a series with fans so dedicated that all they played was SOCOM, and just decided to pander to everybody else. That would be like Budweiser trying to get vegans to drink their beer instead of trying to sell 24 packs to alcoholics. Such a misguided mishandling of the franchise.

• @dipset
    Didn't Socom 4 launch like 2 weeks into the PSN outage or like a few days into it?

• Resistance: Burning Skies on the Vita was disappointingly mediocre. Burning Skies is easily the worst Resistance game, and considering it was the most recent entry in the Resistance franchise, it was a dire way to go out. Despite a second analogue stick, the Vita struggled to find a formidable FPS that would show that the genre could work swimmingly on a handheld, but Burning Skies fumbled its opportunity to be Vita's first great FPS because it was woeful. Burning Skies was riddled with problems including its brown dirt-speckled color scheme, terrible A.I, awful framerate, crappy controls-and it generally feels like a game that resembles Resistance's decline from chronic bowel issues.

The only saving grace are the weapons because although some are familiar staples from prior Resistance games, they function very well and are great to use. New weapons are quite sick including a shotgun can explode chimera into bloody chunks of kibble and an axe that's mighty deadly.

• @dmcmaster

I just Google'd it.

• Hack was on April 17th.
    • Sony shut PSN down on April 20th.
    • SOCOM 4 launched on April 19th.

So a few lucky gamers maybe got to experience a few hours of multiplayer before not being able to play their game for 30 days.

The PSN Outage is an easy scapegoat though. This game had no legs. I'd happily play SOCOM II or 3's single player any day of the week. This single player in SOCOM 4 was like dirt hills with bad textures over and over again, bad acting, bad cover system, and huge shootouts. Absolute trash.

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

https://www.eurogamer.net/square-enix-sells-off-western-studios-and-ip-including-tomb-raider-and-deus-ex

yes I just heard it.

Arkane is best studio who can remake Deus Ex?

Obsidian? they made another terrible gameplay.

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

yes I just heard it.

Gotta disagree. Did you play Outer Worlds?

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

yes I just heard it.

yes I played it. beat it. its ok.

I dont want Deus Ex to have loot system or enemy health bar. I want it to be immersive sim and only Arkane can do it.

anyways sher, if 10 years ago back in GT days. would you imagine i would be praising Final fantasy 7 remake?

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

yes I just heard it.

I dont want Deus Ex to have loot system or enemy health bar. I want it to be immersive sim and only Arkane can do it.

anyways sher, if 10 years ago back in GT days. would you imagine i would be praising Final fantasy 7 remake?

I don't know, you were all over the place. You started hating me and my likes but gradually we found we shared more interests than first thought and I considered you a valued friend.
    That remake is very far removed from your traditional jrpg so it's not that much a jump

@b-cell
    Guess you missed this

yes I just heard it.

I don't know, you were all over the place. You started hating me and my likes but gradually we found we shared more interests than first thought and I considered you a valued friend.
    That remake is very far removed from your traditional jrpg so it's not that much a jump

I was young back then, was trollish. i used to troll JRPG fans and people with anime avatar.

now its been more than decade, im more mature. feel like i was just stupid lol. i found that you like most of games I like plus you being gaming expert too.

FF7 remake is still anime touch. but yes its more of sci fi cyberpunk style. which i like. disliked sewer parts.

• Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction.

They completely changed the tone and humor of the series with this one and it stuck since. They changed Ratchet & Clank to something really generic.

I still enjoy the games to a certain level. The gameplay is still decent but also too cinematic imo. They come nowhere near as close to being as good as the PS2 trilogy.

• @neocweeny
    After watching the mini documentary from The Golden Bolt it seems like part of the change might be from a promise to make a "Pixar quality game " or something to that effect.

Note: each video is like an hour to 2 hours long.

• @dmcmaster Oh, I'm sure that is what they are going for. But they are not Pixar. It just feels generic. The tone of the story also doesn't fit anymore with the gameplay of blowing shit up whereas in the PS2 games it all fits perfectly.

• @dmcmaster @NeoCweeny There's also this one by TheGamingBrit that's good.
    Youtube Video

• @demonpirate I think I've seen this one. I don't remember the video super well but I think I agreed with a lot of what he said.

• @neocweeny

I actually love Tools of Destruction, but I also miss the edge R&C had in the PS2-era. It feels very kiddy by comparison. The latest game Rift Apart is also great, but there is just this childish vibe that the series never used to have.

• @dipset I don't mean to say that Tools of Destruction is worst or anything just that the changed happened there. I actually think A Crack in Time is a really great game but it's mostly for gameplay reasons.

• I have a pair of games. Worms 3D and Worms: Open Warfare. The former was a complete reimagining that, while innovative, just didn't feel good to play. But if the classic 2D gameplay would also have new entries, hey, experiment away.

But the latter took that classic 2D gameplay, and made the best parts of it - physics, art style, wry humor - flat out worse. The changes became the base of every 2D entry for the next 10 years until the most recent one, Worms WMD, brought back some of the old vibes, but halfheartedly.