The EZA Forum Hall of Greats (May 2022)

• I can't believe Wild Hunt actually got in. Such a competitive row of killer games y'all brought to this Hall of Greats, I didn't think Wild Hunt stood much of a chance. Thank you all who voted and to @Capnbobamous for presenting the Hall of Greats.

• Wow. While I didn't know what to expect in terms of points total, I didn't think Uncharted 4 would place so high. Which means, once again, NOT BANNED BAYBAY!!!

But in all serious, this round was a toughie. I felt the cross-examination period rubber-banded a bit, with some activity the moment questioning opened, silence for a long while, then a flurry of questions/answers at the end (I chalk this up to people being busy during the week and only having time to focus on this during the weekend). I also was quite surprised I didn't answer many cross-examinations.

Regardless, to any of you who chose to vote, if it was only a point, I thank you kindly. Big congrats to both Batman: Arkham Asylum and The Witcher III: Wild Hunt for being recognized as Greats (tm). And as always, if people wanted to share what they voted for and why, I'll do so to by either going back and editing this post or dropping my decisions separately.

To close, shoutouts to @Capnbobamous for making these and to everyone who participates. These are so fun and I always look forward to them. Can't wait for the next one in three months!!

EDIT: Since others left their votes below, here's how I went:

3 Points - Dragon Age: Inquisition. Personally I felt this had the strongest combination of presentation and cross-examination

2 Points - Batman: Arkham Asylum As much as I love this game, the detective vision's lack of penalty (as appreciating the art design doesn't impede gameplay. Apologies for not wording my cross-examination question better) is my only gripe. And though I may prefer other Arkhams, Asylum is fantastic

1 point - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Of the remaining games to vote for (that I could), I feel like this had the strongest remaining case (And I agree with ffff0 about the point regarding the Mass Effect Trilogy. But I do hope all three get in at same point). I still don't foresee myself playing it, but to me, it's undeniable the exceptional quality it has.

• Good game everyone and congrats to the winners! Those were all great presentations, fortunately I've played all of these games before so that made voting a little easier for me.

Here's where my votes went:

1. Halo: Combat Evolved (3pts)
      It's Halo, it's obviously one of the all-time greats. It was an undeniable game changer for the video game industry and the gameplay still holds up.

2. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (2pts)
      It's maybe the best action adventure game I've ever played. I replayed Uncharted 4 with the Legacy of Thieves Collection this year and it's even more stunningly beautiful at 60fps.

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition (1pt)
      I remember this game fondly and I'm disappointed that more RPG's like this one are not being made anymore. Personally, I still prefer Dragon Age: Origins more, that game is more consistently great but Inquisition has many great moments too.

Thanks to @Capnbobamous for putting this together and thanks to everyone for letting me make my case for Mass Effect: Legendary Edition. I'll try not to create any new rules with my next nomination. :)

• Here are my votes:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I love this game and was thinking about bringing it myself. Great presentation and strong cross-examination left no room for other contenders.
    2. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. I also love this game, although not as fondly as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Again, great presentation and strong cross-examination have secured my vote.
    3. Madden 07. #3 and #4 were very close, but I votes for Madden 07, because I got convinced that this was the high point of the series which is something for an annual series.
    4. Batman: Arkham Asylum. I barely remember this game, but I put it so low because of detective mode discussion. I think when player have to chose between making things hard and pretty visuals, it’s a bad game design.
    5. Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I think Mass Effect games are too different to work as a single product, and I wasn’t convinced otherwise.
    6. Halo (Combat Evolved). Presentation had an abrupt ending and I think that levels shouldn’t be fun to play only on the hardest difficulty. A shooter with levels that aren’t fun, is a bad shooter.

Thanks everyone for your effort, whether I voted for your nominee or not. See you next time.

• Okay I am actually shocked Madden 07 isn't banned. Thank you allies! I feel honored to not have it banned! This weekend I will honor you all by playing more of it. September, I already have a game planned that isn't a sports game, so don't worry!

3 Points: Batman Arkham Asylum

• I love Arkham Asylum so much and I appreciated the combat discussion. Felt the presentation was also explained the gameplay vibes while utilizing stealth to take out enemies.

2 Points: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

• While I have only played a handful of hours of The Witcher, the cross-examination was strong and the presentation was definitely great at explaining why the game as a whole is a Great.

1 Point: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Maybe my favorite Uncharted game! This and The Witcher were a toss up for me. Felt the cross-examination was strong as well and helped bring out some of my own thoughts that were answered.

Thank you all for the dedication your presentations showed. And thanks to @Capnbobamous for setting this all up again!

• Good presentations everybody. I meant to participate but I missed the deadline. If Bruno brought Madden 2005, I would've been totally in but my experience with the PS3 version of 07 was bad, but I heard the PS2 version was much better than the next gen which was super new at the time.

I would've voted like so:
    3 pt - Uncharted 4
    2 pt - Batman Arkham
    1 pt - Halo CE

• I was very surprised that my game got in, and it's a little bittersweet because I didn't have the time to make the presentation I had originally planned, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. Here are my votes:

3 pt. The Witcher 3. One of my favorite games of all time. Just an absolutely masterful RPG that every other game in the genre will be held to for years to come. Shoutout to JD for a great presentation.

2 pt. Uncharted 4. Another classic. I still prefer Uncharted 2, but 4 is undeniably great so I was happy to give it points. Certainly has the best combat of the series. Also Brannox delivered a great presentation which made my vote that much easier.

1 pt. Madden 07. I think this vote comes down to a number of reasons, not least of which is that the game simply looks fun. Love how in-depth it seemed to go in its modes (parent IQ levels, huh????) and when somebody says that an old sports game is the best in the series, I tend to believe them. It's crazy how much charm these old games had when their current day counterparts are so hollow and lifeless. It was a great presentation by Bruno, and I was happy to give it a point.

• Everybody did a great job choosing games and the presentations were very insightful. Here's my ranking of each presentation:
    1.Batman: Arkham Asylum
    I love Arkham Asylum and it's a game that isn't often seen in the GOTY or best games of all time discussion from my perspective. @Capnbobamous did a sensational job of capturing why Arkham Asylum deserved to be voted for amidst stiff competition.
    2.Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
    Mass Effect is enormous and well loved by many and I felt the presentation reflected this. Few videogame franchise have made the meteoric impact Mass Effect has and I believe it deserved a place in the Hall of Greats.
    3.HALO
    I put aside my indifference for HALO to see the bigger picture and I thought the presentation was enthusiastic enough for me to give it the final point. What HALO did for Xbox and the videogame industry is unparalleled and it deserved recognition.
    4.Dragon Age: Inquisition
    The presentation @ffff0 gave compelled me to download Inquisition and give it a try. I had not been interested in Dragon Age: Inquisition much at all, but I feel now that it could be a very worthwhile experience. I think it's the aspect that I forgot about it and didn't pay it much attention that stopped it getting a point more than anything else.
    5.Madden NFL 07
    I love that @bruno_saurus chose a sports game to bring to the Hall of Greats, but I always feel that sports games bleed together, which is why I didn't give it a point.
    6.Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
    Uncharted 4 is indeed a great game and @Brannox did justice to it in every way, but I can't stop thinking that Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 did way more to push the series forward, and I found Uncharted 4 a bit too serious for my liking.

• I voted:

3 points - Batman: Arkham Asylum
    2 points - Mass Effect Legendary Edition
    1 point - Dragon Age: Inquisition

I haven't played any of them - they aren't my style - so I had to go by the presentations and snippets of gameplay footage. Arkham felt the most balanced to me. Compact without feeling short, deep without being complicated, heavy atmosphere, tons of detail, super distinct art style.

What especially vaulted it above the others in my eyes was that it kicked off a successful series of games, having a solid formula right at the start. The Dragon Age series, on the other hand, took time to get to the best game, and the series has been in a bit of a limbo since it.

Like Arkham, Mass Effect was also a successful series from the start, and there is something to be said for how the three games tie together. I thought Arkham's atmosphere and gameplay looked a lot tighter, though.

Voting against The Witcher III was just personal preference. I can't get past the edgy writing.

As for my own game, it seems what Halo did to the gaming landscape couldn't overcome its repetitive level design. People were barely bothered by that issue back when it was new, though, and I tried to emphasize all the aspects that DID blow people's minds. I hope to bring it again some day, and I think I already have a better angle to take. But it'll be a while.

• Submitting this for the Community Showcase! Just so we have some stuff for it!

• @bruno_saurus Excellent! And the schedule says it's time for the Allies to gather again the same day.

Gonna be a goooooood day.

• Very good day!!!! I will definitely be ready! Gotta finish off my rewatch of them all. I've been slacking the past few weeks.

• @bruno_saurus Have you got the timestamp of where your submission is on the Community Showcase?