Worlds Apart-Games Where Story And Gameplay Are At Odds

• It's quite disheartening to play a game where the story and gameplay don't work cohesively well together. Sometimes the story and characters are excellent while the gameplay is doing its best to undermine it and vice versa.

One huge example comes from a game I adore at heart-Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. The story is one of the most emotional and powerful I've ever played, and Oliver is one of the loveliest characters I've ever encountered in any game, but the gameplay seems primed to rip the goodwill away.

Ok, the gameplay isn't awful, but the grinding necessity to battle against creatures Pokemon style so you can level up and get stronger, and the terrible friendly A.I, who can't seem to survive without your input, dampen the experience. It's as if the gameplay is trying to compel me to turn the game off. If it wasn't for the story and characters I'd have moved on from Wrath of the White Witch a long time ago.

What examples do you have of a game where the story and gameplay don't gel together well?

• Rule of Rose. Cool tone and presentation, awful gameplay.

Not quite what you are asking but I could do without the teenage relationships in Persona. Great battle systems, art work, music but the relationship stuff is just too much for me.

• @e_zed_eh_intern
    Just for clarification do you mean the Social Link system or the few romantic relationships included in each game?

• @dmcmaster both but the romance stuff is definitely the worst. And, yes, I know that's what makes it Persona but I enjoy the games just fine mashing through all the weird conversations.

• I don't have anything off the top of my head, but stuff like this in general doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does for other people. For example, everyone complains about the waist high walls in TLOU signifying a combat section is incoming. That doesn't matter to me in the slightest. So I don't think this is a big issue for me most of the time.

I recently just finished Halo 2 for the first time and for a game that is all about shooting bad alien guys endlessly for 10+ levels without taking the foot off the gas, I was surprised how deep in the weeds it got with geo-political sci-fi.

Like, I don't how how to put it into words exactly.

Halo 2 gameplay = "Yo let's hop on the Warthog lets go fuck these aliens up."
    Halo 2 story and cutscenes = You are a heretic for failing to stop the foreign rebellion against our ancient prophecies. Now we must recover ancient information from 343 Guilty Spark to uncover the truth about our past. blah blah blah

I just seems like there is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much political minutiae for a game where you literally just drive around in alien vehicles and blow shit up or just run through waves upon waves of bad guys just shoot shoot shooting indiscriminately at everything in sight.