The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!
Oscillator last edited by
5 pts - Burnout Revenge
4 pts - Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
3 pts - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
2 pts - Star Wars: Battlefront II
HM - Nintendogs
All my main picks got in, nice. :)
Nintendogs was an honorable mention in the most literal sense; I haven't played it, but it was a unique concept that had a wide impact.
Sentinel Beach last edited by
#1: Resident Evil 4 (5 pts)
#2: God of War (4 pts)
#3: Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (3 pts)
#4: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2 pts)
HM: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (1 pt)
HM: Shadow of the Colossus (1 pt)
HM: Star Wars: Battlefront II (1 pt)
HM: TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (1 pt)
Sad to see I was the only one voting for Mercenaries. It's my favourite game from Pandemic Studios, one of my favourite studios. I can't even describe how much I enjoyed the sandbox and the way the whole card deck system worked with the targets you were after. To see this game remade for PS5, what a dream...
JDINCINERATOR last edited by
#1.Shadow of the Colossus
#2.Resident Evil 4
#3.GTA: Liberty City Stories
#4.Condemned: Criminal Origins
HM: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006
HM: Shadow of Rome
HM: Need For Speed: Most Wanted
HM: Burnout Revenge
I will say however, Hades, for the most part, is a fun area... But the pillars... The pillars SSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK. I hate those blades so much. I understand they were so rushed and crunched to ship the game on time they couldn't be properly QA'd, but if that was the case, it should've been cut.
Jaffe recently confirmed that the end of the game didn't have enough QA time and they shipped with some balance and tech issues. It completely validated me not being able to beat Aries unless on Easy Mode.
I echo everything you said. God of War is probably the best game of 2005 but not my favourite nor the one I played the most. I played it on the PS3 Remaster in 2009 and the game blew my mind and I was hooked on the series since.
I completely agree that the art style and graphics hold up well today.
DIPSET last edited by DIPSET
My 2005 GOTY List:
- Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
- SOCOM 3 U.S. Navy SEALs
- God of War
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Call of Duty 2
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
SSX on Tour
Resident Evil 4
If we're looking back to 2005, one glaring omission from our list is Call of Duty 2 and Battlefield 2. Both games were pretty ahead of their time and sent their respective franchises either to the moon, or into orbit.
COD2 was one of the first mind blowing next-gen games out there. The quality of life improvements over COD1 were amazing (throwing back grenades sounds small by todays standards but it was awesome back then). The plot respected the many groups of people who made the sacrifice in WWII with a wonderful globetrotting Campaign mode. The online MP had the usual awesome COD gunplay but with more fluidity and great diverse maps.
BF2, however, was way ahead of it's time. It was essentially a next-gen game before next gen existed. It didn't have crazy HD textures but the maps were big, the gunplay was probably the first modern warfare game that actually felt fluid. The squad based tactics just worked so well in a modern setting and the idea of an open map modern combat sandbox was huge and way ahead of the industry treads by 2-3 years.
Honestly, a lot of the credit for what BF2 did goes to COD4 MW, but BF2 did all of this first in 2005:
- modern warfare setting
- detailed mini-map
- weapon unlocks
- badges and medals for performance
- upgrade progression for each class.
- the ability to record your gameplay to a server which led to a ton of online videos about the game (that's how I learned about it).
I didn't vote for BF2 because the gunplay doesn't hold up by today's standards like COD2's MP / Campaign do. But this game was the future of video games. Imagine an online MP game in 2022 without an upgrade progression. BF2 in 2005 was the spark, COD4 in 2007 was the match, and modern war MP blew up.
Shoulderguy last edited by Shoulderguy
GOTY 2005 Recap
- 15 people from the community voted and nominated 53 different games
- Resident Evil 4 is the second Resident Evil game to win our GOTY. Resident Evil 2 (2019).
- Three racing games made the list this year (Mario Kart DS, Burnout Revenge, Need for Speed: Most Wanted). The most racing games to make the top 20/25 before 2005 was in 2008 with 2 (Mario Kart Wii, Wipeout HD).
- #6 Need for Speed: Most Wanted is also the highest ever ranking racing game. Previous was #12 Forza Horizon 5 (2021)
- #9 Pokémon Emerald is the third Pokemon game to make the top 10. Previous games #9 Pokémon Sun and Moon (2016), #7 Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (2010).
- We had a six-way tie in this countdown. Very unusual since we never had more than 2 games involved in a tie.
- Publishers Capcom, Sony and Nintendo all have three games in the top 20. Tied for the most.
Exclusives (At the time):
- 5: PlayStation 2 (SOCOM 3 U.S. Navy SEALs, Fatal Frame III: The Tormented, Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus)
- 3: Nintendo DS (Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Mario Kart DS, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney)
- 2: PC (Myst V: End of Ages, SWAT 4)
- 1: Game Boy Advance (Pokémon Emerald)
- 1: PlayStation Portable (Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories)
- 1: Xbox 360 (Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved)
Score totals for games that didn't make the top 20:
- 4 Points: Condemned: Criminal Origins, Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
- 3 Points: Call of Duty 2, Fight Night Round 2, Star Wars Republic Commando, Super Mario Strikers, Xenosaga Episode II
- 2 Points: F.E.A.R., Gran Turismo 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Jak X Combat Racing, Ratchet: Deadlocked
- 1 Point: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Haunting Ground, Guitar Hero, Killer7, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Lego Star Wars: The Video Game, Mario And Luigi: Partners in Time, The Matrix Path of Neo, Nintendogs, Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, Quake 4, Shadow of Rome, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, SSX on Tour, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
EZA Community GOTY ranks for franchises that started in 2005:
- #3: God of War, #8: God of War II (2007), #14: God of War: Chains of Olympus (2008), #18: God of War: Ghost of Sparta (2010), #5: God of War III (2010), #1: God of War (2018).
- #4: Psychonauts, #4: Psychonauts 2 (2021).
- #7: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, #17: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Justice for All (2007), #11: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations (2007), #22: Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (2010).
Thanks again to everyone who voted!
The score totals that didn't make the Top 20 really has some quality games in there too:
- Condemned, Mercenaries, Fight Night Round 2, Guitar Hero, GT4, F.E.A.R, Smackdown vs Raw 2006, Sly 3.
Some of those are classics as well IMO.
I hope we go back and play some of these after this countdown.
Thanks for organizing @Shoulderguy
NeoCweeny last edited by NeoCweeny
Respect for the other guy who voted for Jak X!
It was "only" and HM but I really love this game. Wish it made the list.
bam541 last edited by bam541
My picks are:
- Shadow of the Colossus
- SWAT 4
- Star Wars Republic Commando
- God of War
- The Matrix Path of Neo
- Guitar Hero
- Killer 7
SOTC isn't even my favorite Ueda game, but I respect it a lot. Especially with that goddamn soundtrack, one of the best in gaming for sure.
It's clear that the recent top whatever lists that we do have less people participating as time goes on, so everybody's votes now became like at least 2 times more valuable. Shout out to y'all for being so important AND having good taste.
Phbz last edited by Phbz
Shadow of Colossus I've only played the PS4 remake, so it might be unfair but I imagine apart from the performance it should be about the same, if not better. For instance I prefer the original "dirty" visuals. It's one of the greatest games ever made. If I had played it at release it would had blown my mind, for sure.
Resident Evil 4 I played very little of, and just in the last couple of years. Played it for a while and quickly dropped it. Honestly disliked everything about it.
bruno_saurus last edited by
1: Pokemon Emerald
2: Resident Evil 4
3: Super Mario Strikers
4: Mario Kart DS
- Jak X Combat Racing
- Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
- Need for Speed Most Wanted
- Ratchet Deadlocked
Can't believe I forgot God of War...
Brannox last edited by
For whatever reason I had Republic Commando as a 2002 game, and I don't know how I got my wires crossed there. Updated my wrap-up post with thoughts on it because it wouldn't have cracked my honorable mentions, but still, I wanted to make sure I talked about it above.
JDINCINERATOR last edited by
@Shoulderguy -when do you think the 2004 GOTY post will go up?
Shoulderguy last edited by
@jdincinerator I'll start accepting votes for the 2004 GOTY in a few days if that's okay with everyone.
Shoulderguy last edited by
Hubey with the SOCOM and Battlefield love. Feels good.