The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!

• Liberty City Stories is good and certainly very impressive for the handheld, but I just think Vice City Stories is so much better. My opinion of LCS keeps going down as I keep comparing it to other GTAs.

• 0_1653238734154_Pokémon Emerald.png

#9: Pokémon Emerald - 8 points

Votes

#1: 1 (brunojoey)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    HM: 1 (Brannox)

Information

Release date: NA: May 1, AU: June 9, EU: October 21
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo, The Pokémon Company
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Game Boy Advance

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Of the 13 games from 2005 I've played, Pokemon Emerald sits at 6th.

Personally, I prefer Ruby/Sapphire over Emerald as I'm not a big fan of Scott or the post-game Battle Frontier. I DO think the coolest thing about Emerald are the double battles and how you can team up with Steven on Mossdeep Island at the Space Center (though I think it's kind of dumb he's a "secret" boss and not the Champion. Wallace, the Water gym leader from R/S is the League Champion, and the Sootopolis City Gym is ran by Juan and honestly, no Champion should have a single type, but that's another thing I dislike about Emerald).

And while I appreciate you getting to choose between Latios and Latias you want to spawn once you become Champion, getting a lv. 70 Rayquaza as early as you can in Emerald kind of makes the challenge not all that much. Instead, I wish he was 45 like the others because catching Groudon/Kyogre being roughly at the same level in their respective games and be a viable team member for the final Gym/Pokemon League. (And yes, I know you catch the opposite at Level 70, but that's more of an endgame thing and at that point, there's really nothing left worth doing).

Overall though, the third gen is the last gen of Pokemon I truly love. While I do agree the adventure goes down in quality once you go out to sea post Lilycove/Team Hideout (which is super fun!), it's still an overall great time. Like all three Pokemon gens I hold dear, I always find the opening hours the best. So in this gen, I would say by the time you finish Dewford Town is when the magic gets a little lessened for me. And because it's a Pokemon game, I gotta drop my preferred team:

With the exception of choosing Torchic (which, for me, all gen 3 starters are good, unlike the previous two, but I'm always partial to Fire types for whatever reason) and catching the given game's Legendary, all the rest of my final team I trade in from another game:

Metagross (from Beldum) and Salamence (from Bagon) are always locks, so no matter what, I will always have the same half of my final team (including Blaziken). To provide some varied typing, I'll also try to bring in Raichu (from trading Pikachu), and Crawdaunt (from trading Corphish). But along the way, at one point or another, I typically will make the effort to pick up a Taillow, Ralts, Shroomish naturally, and even trade in a Skarmory and eventually when I hit an appropriate level to switch them out for my choices above. However, if I'm lucky enough to have found an alternate Legendary (like the aforementioned Latios/Latias) from a previous playthrough, I'll sub out one of the others to ensure the Dragons are brought in.

Meaning: My ultimate Dream Team of gen 3 is:

Blaziken (Fire/Fighting)
    Metagross (Steel/Psychic)
    Salamence (Flying/Dragon)
    Groudon (Fire/Ground)
    Kyogre (Water)
    Latios/Latias (Dragon/Psychic)

• [Rayquaza (Dragon/Flying) when not available]

To close, as always I want to give my digital fist-bumps to my fellow voters! Shoutouts to @Shoulderguy and @bruno_saurus!

• The GBA Pokémon games are still my favorites but Emerald was a little less impressive to me since I had already played Pokémon Ruby two years earlier. Although, I do recommend playing Emerald since it's the definitive version of Gen 3 or play the remastered versions that added some cool new Mega Evolutions. And shout out to my boy Swampert.

• 0_1653320942929_Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.png

#8: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #3: 2 (Oscillator, kindiman)
    #4: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    HM: 1 (NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: NA: March 28, EU: April 1
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Milan
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Stealth
    Platform(s): Mobile, N-Gage. PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The best Splinter Cell. Fuck, this is good! And the score by Amon Tobin, it's divine. Can't believe it's been 17 years...

The Lighthouse
    Youtube Video

• I've never gotten into Splinter Cell, but it's been a franchise that I should on paper because I'm such a big stealth fan. However, I'm kind of, in the best case scenarios, lukewarm on Ubisoft and honestly a little tired of the Tom Clancy brand. As for Splinter Cell specifically, I consistently hear Chaos Theory tops them all, with Pandora Tomorrow being a strong contender as well. But Splinter Cell also has a TON of games and I'm not really interested in both starting over and going through Sam Fisher's whole arc nor just jumping in blind. Nowadays, Splinter Cell is the one Ubisoft game I hear so many fans call out for and Ubisoft, for whatever unknown reason, just doesn't want to do. Granted, I thought the same about EA and Dead Space, but if the release date holds, we're just eight months from that so....

• Chaos Theory has incredible, incredible production values. Hollywood-grade setpieces, an insane lighting engine fully integrated with gameplay, even pretty good writing. It all combines to make sneaking around, trying to find/create blind spots in security, super satisfying.

I would've put it higher if the multiplayer had been as endearing as Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer. But the maps aren't as memorable, and the upgraded lighting engine had to be dialed WAY back to run well in multi, to the point it it looks kinda ugly.

• @Brannox Chaos Theory is a great standalone game. The tutorial level is well done, and if there were any lore references, it didn't seem like they were crucial to the plot at all (though I didn't complete the last level, so maybe the ending could be more lore-heavy?).

• @oscillator said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!:

The tutorial level is well done,

Looking at footage, I may have been confusing it for Pandora Tomorrow's tutorial. Mission 1 in Chaos Theory looks more like a regular mission, but is still basic enough to show you the ropes (and it's cool, like all the missions).

• The first two splinter cell games were already really great but Chaos Theory still manages to make so many improvements without losing what made the previous games so good. It's really an exemplary sequel.

• 0_1653432597878_Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.png

#7: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #3: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, Sentinel Beach, Sheria)

Information

Release date: NA: October 12
    Developer: Capcom Production Studio 4
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Adventure, visual novel
    Platform(s): Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, PC, Wii, iOS, Android, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• So this is when Ace Attorney started... Well, I've said all I can in other countdowns for other Ace Attorneys, but 17 years for a franchise is a sneaky long time for consistent quality. Good on ya Phoenix.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!:

So this is when Ace Attorney started... Well, I've said all I can in other countdowns for other Ace Attorneys, but 17 years for a franchise is a sneaky long time for consistent quality. Good on ya Phoenix.

Technically it would be longer than that as it actually started in 2001 on the GBA. Pretty sure this is when it first came to the west though.

• What a great first instalment. The story is very good and it is so satisfying to call out the witness's lies.

The soundtrack is also outstanding.

• I played the original trilogy for the first time last year. A pretty easy honorable mention now, I liked it all.

• 0_1653493196327_Need for Speed Most Wanted.png

#6: Need for Speed: Most Wanted - 10 points

Votes

#1: 1 (ffff0)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (DIPSET)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, JDINCINERATOR, brunojoey)

Information

Release date: NA: November 11, EU: December 4
    Developer: EA Canada, EA Black Box
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Racing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• This was a time when Need for Speed was one of the few games I knew about, and I played (probably) every new entry in this series. I don't remember much about it, but I've enjoyed this game.

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was my second Ace Attorney game after playing Apollo Justice. Like the other Ace Attorney games, it has great writing, interesting characters and the cases themselves are both ridiculous and entertaining. This game is perfect for anyone to play, even those who are not into visual novels that much like myself.

I played a lot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted back in 2005 simply because it was a game that I owned at the time. My memories of the game are a little foggy but I remember that the racing was good and running away from the cops was fun. It also featured some goofy FMV live actor cutscenes, which made me laugh.

• My friend and I beat all 69 challenge events in Most Wanted and then got all the way to the second-last story mission when my drunk ass turned it off while it was saving. Never played it again.