The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!

• What a great first instalment. The story is very good and it is so satisfying to call out the witness's lies.

The soundtrack is also outstanding.

• I played the original trilogy for the first time last year. A pretty easy honorable mention now, I liked it all.

• 0_1653493196327_Need for Speed Most Wanted.png

#6: Need for Speed: Most Wanted - 10 points

Votes

#1: 1 (ffff0)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (DIPSET)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, JDINCINERATOR, brunojoey)

Information

Release date: NA: November 11, EU: December 4
    Developer: EA Canada, EA Black Box
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Racing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• This was a time when Need for Speed was one of the few games I knew about, and I played (probably) every new entry in this series. I don't remember much about it, but I've enjoyed this game.

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was my second Ace Attorney game after playing Apollo Justice. Like the other Ace Attorney games, it has great writing, interesting characters and the cases themselves are both ridiculous and entertaining. This game is perfect for anyone to play, even those who are not into visual novels that much like myself.

I played a lot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted back in 2005 simply because it was a game that I owned at the time. My memories of the game are a little foggy but I remember that the racing was good and running away from the cops was fun. It also featured some goofy FMV live actor cutscenes, which made me laugh.

• My friend and I beat all 69 challenge events in Most Wanted and then got all the way to the second-last story mission when my drunk ass turned it off while it was saving. Never played it again.

• Massive catch up post.

Star Wars: Battlefront II

I love this game but didn't vote for it. I'm one of the few people that prefers the vibe and original trilogy focus in the original Pandemic Battlefront. Even after BFII released, my friends and I still preferred to play the original. Just something about the menu's, music, and big maps.

BFII was really active on PS2 online and I felt like I was a part of something bigger playing with so many people online back then.

--

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

I love the GTA III universe and in 2005, I got a PSP and I couldn't believe I was essentially playing GTA III in the palm of my hands. Parents want to drag me shopping across the city—no problem! I played this one in the back of my car for hours.

I also love how it builds and expands upon the characters and plot in GTA III. Toni Cipriani stood out in GTA III so it was really cool to just play as him in Liberty City Stories.

--

Pokémon Emerald

I kinda outgrew Pokemon (and Nintendo for that matter) around 2005. Ruby was my last Pokemon game until the Let's Go remake. Tbh, I loved Ruby but had no desire to buy this one. Still though, maybe it's just me growing up, but I feel like this was the last good era of Pokemon art. It got so high res vector looking after this.

--

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

I know it's crazy considering how many awards this game won, but I never played it. Pandora Tomorrow was too difficult for me as a kid so I never had any desire to rent Chaos Theory. I remember kids at school talking about it, but I never touched it cause I assumed it was too hard. It's on my list to play one day.

--

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

EA Blackbox / EA Canada is an insanely underrated studio and deserve way more credit for the work they've done over the years. Most Wanted was the last great NFS game in my opinion. It isn't as memorable as NFS Underground 1 & 2 but it is still in the same vein and a last hurrah for this type of racer.

Digital Foundry just did an awesome Gran Turismo retrospective which puts the games in context of their PS2 peers and they make mention of some of the technical wizardry in the Underground series (which I consider Most Wanted to be a part of) so I suggest you check that video out because they put it into words better than I can.

That 2006 BMW livery is iconic too. I wanted that car so badly as a kid. I actually styled my BMW in GT7 to have the same livery and it's my favourite car to drive in single player so far.

• Need For Speed: Most Wanted was played religiously by my brother who doesn't really like the racing game genre. Such a fantastic and thrilling racing game that really deserves to be mentioned among the best of 2005. The fact it ranks number 6 shows just how great it is.

• The only Need for Speed I've played is Undercover, so I can't comment on Most Wanted. The only other thing I can add is I feel Need for Speed as a franchise is now to the point where I personally feel like it's been overdone and there's too many of them. It could use a break of several more years.

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!:

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

I know it's crazy considering how many awards this game won, but I never played it. Pandora Tomorrow was too difficult for me as a kid so I never had any desire to rent Chaos Theory. I remember kids at school talking about it, but I never touched it cause I assumed it was too hard. It's on my list to play one day.

I couldn't get past the second level of Pandora Tomorrow because too much precision was required. But aside from a few moderately annoying sections, Chaos Theory felt more flexible.

• I love the Splinter Cell games but I never finished Chaos Theory (I only finished Blacklist and the very first one, I have played all of them tho) which remains to be a mark of shame for me. I would have played it before the voting ended but I got IRL stuff to do unfortunately.

As much as I want to understand why people like NFS: MW so much, I just never have the desire to play it myself. The game's color palette is simply hideous, and combined with the edgy-cheesy attitude it makes for the worst kind of 2000s aesthetics imo.

• @oscillator

What's weird is that my memory of the original SC trilogy is a bit hazy, but I swear my friend and I finished Splinter Cell 1 together on PS2. And I recall that game having instant-failure scenarios and a lot of trial and error, but I know we finished it.

Rented and played Pandora Tomorrow by myself and could barely finish the first level (if I even did finish it). I played that alone so maybe I was just worse at video games than he was. IDK. But that experience put me off of Chaos Theory.

I also didn't have an Xbox and I think it was exclusive for a long time?

• 0_1653579731923_Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening.png

#5: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - 11 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #2: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (kindiman)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: March 1, AU: March 22, EU: March 24
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!:

I also didn't have an Xbox and I think it was exclusive for a long time?

It was on everything, but the best version was Xbox. It's currently available to download on Xbox backwards compatibility and Steam.

• Catching up a bit on my end! Lots of these games are in my backlog to one day play, so please forgive me.

Mario Kart DS
    I remember playing this on long family trips to New York and I loved every second of having a portable Mario Kart game with me! A joyous time and one of the first times I loved using Dry Bones as my racer for some reason.

Pokemon Emerald
    Loved Pokemon Emerald! I enjoyed the idea of the Battle Frontier, just tougher and varied battles. However, as a young kid, I didn't really care for movesets and actually raising my Pokemon in a battle thought first. However! Did really enjoy this game. Might have just been because I was in such a Pokemon kick at this time. This and Gen 4 were the peak of my Pokemon video game fandom probably as a young kid until I got back into the series a few years ago more dedicatedly. This and Platinum will probably be the most hours I've put into a Pokemon game that doesn't involve me trying to get a Living Pokedex.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    I don't remember much why I enjoyed this game, but I did enjoy it regardless! I remember very fondly using a Mitsubishi Eclipse for a lot of my time with it as a child! Which now that I have this again I will gladly be using that car once I can!

• Devil May Cry is a series that I get hot-and-cold interest in at the very least watching. This started with the DMC 5 presentation during Xbox's 2018 E3 conference and it had such a jolly vibe. That said, I constantly hear DMC 2 is awful and the DMC reboot from Ninja Theory is divisive. Plus there are some enemies and art choices that are a turn off as well. As such, I don't hear about DMC 3 specifically. In one way or another, I've heard about every other DMC entry in some way. Weird but it is what is.

Also, top 5!!! And as such, I think I can guess the final four left to be revealed, but I'm curious as to the order.

• Devil May Cry 3 is one game I played only recently and I really loved it. One of the best hack n slash games Ive played, if not the best.

• 0_1653666776311_Psychonauts.png

#4: Psychonauts - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    #2: 1 (Phbz)
    #3: 1 (ffff0)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (bam541)

Information

Release date: NA: April 19
    Developer: Double Fine Production
    Publisher: Majesco Entertainment
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox, PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I only just finished Psychonauts last year so it would not have been my GOTY back in 2005. I wish I had known about Psychonauts because it's one of the most creative and hilarious 3D platformers I've ever played. It definitely deserved more praise then it received at the time but at least Psychonauts 2 has given the series some well-deserved recognition.

• I also finished Psychonauts just last year. It's a very creative game, but playing it doesn't feel very good. Old game and all...