The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!

• I love the Splinter Cell games but I never finished Chaos Theory (I only finished Blacklist and the very first one, I have played all of them tho) which remains to be a mark of shame for me. I would have played it before the voting ended but I got IRL stuff to do unfortunately.

As much as I want to understand why people like NFS: MW so much, I just never have the desire to play it myself. The game's color palette is simply hideous, and combined with the edgy-cheesy attitude it makes for the worst kind of 2000s aesthetics imo.

• @oscillator

What's weird is that my memory of the original SC trilogy is a bit hazy, but I swear my friend and I finished Splinter Cell 1 together on PS2. And I recall that game having instant-failure scenarios and a lot of trial and error, but I know we finished it.

Rented and played Pandora Tomorrow by myself and could barely finish the first level (if I even did finish it). I played that alone so maybe I was just worse at video games than he was. IDK. But that experience put me off of Chaos Theory.

I also didn't have an Xbox and I think it was exclusive for a long time?

• 0_1653579731923_Devil May Cry 3 Dante's Awakening.png

#5: Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening - 11 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #2: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (kindiman)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: March 1, AU: March 22, EU: March 24
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!:

I also didn't have an Xbox and I think it was exclusive for a long time?

It was on everything, but the best version was Xbox. It's currently available to download on Xbox backwards compatibility and Steam.

• Catching up a bit on my end! Lots of these games are in my backlog to one day play, so please forgive me.

Mario Kart DS
    I remember playing this on long family trips to New York and I loved every second of having a portable Mario Kart game with me! A joyous time and one of the first times I loved using Dry Bones as my racer for some reason.

Pokemon Emerald
    Loved Pokemon Emerald! I enjoyed the idea of the Battle Frontier, just tougher and varied battles. However, as a young kid, I didn't really care for movesets and actually raising my Pokemon in a battle thought first. However! Did really enjoy this game. Might have just been because I was in such a Pokemon kick at this time. This and Gen 4 were the peak of my Pokemon video game fandom probably as a young kid until I got back into the series a few years ago more dedicatedly. This and Platinum will probably be the most hours I've put into a Pokemon game that doesn't involve me trying to get a Living Pokedex.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    I don't remember much why I enjoyed this game, but I did enjoy it regardless! I remember very fondly using a Mitsubishi Eclipse for a lot of my time with it as a child! Which now that I have this again I will gladly be using that car once I can!

• Devil May Cry is a series that I get hot-and-cold interest in at the very least watching. This started with the DMC 5 presentation during Xbox's 2018 E3 conference and it had such a jolly vibe. That said, I constantly hear DMC 2 is awful and the DMC reboot from Ninja Theory is divisive. Plus there are some enemies and art choices that are a turn off as well. As such, I don't hear about DMC 3 specifically. In one way or another, I've heard about every other DMC entry in some way. Weird but it is what is.

Also, top 5!!! And as such, I think I can guess the final four left to be revealed, but I'm curious as to the order.

• Devil May Cry 3 is one game I played only recently and I really loved it. One of the best hack n slash games Ive played, if not the best.

• 0_1653666776311_Psychonauts.png

#4: Psychonauts - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    #2: 1 (Phbz)
    #3: 1 (ffff0)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (bam541)

Information

Release date: NA: April 19
    Developer: Double Fine Production
    Publisher: Majesco Entertainment
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): PC, Xbox, PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I only just finished Psychonauts last year so it would not have been my GOTY back in 2005. I wish I had known about Psychonauts because it's one of the most creative and hilarious 3D platformers I've ever played. It definitely deserved more praise then it received at the time but at least Psychonauts 2 has given the series some well-deserved recognition.

• I also finished Psychonauts just last year. It's a very creative game, but playing it doesn't feel very good. Old game and all...

• It's on my backlog. I've decided I'm going to do Psychonauts 2 then 1. Hopefully within the next few months.

• Psychonauts is a weird one (pun not intended) for me. Of my 13 2005 games, it sits at 11th. This isn't because of its creativity or design, because it's one of the most unique games out there and I'm so stoked its sequel is so well regarded. But when I played this back in the day, I only got as far as the lake monster fight and I just couldn't beat it for whatever reason. Which means it's so low on my list only because I never finished it. I actually like it more than several games ahead of it on my list, but I at least finished those games (and since I don't think all but one will place top 3, I'll talk about it in my closing post).

Overall, from what I remember, it's really solid, and am happy to see it crack our top 5.

• I'm usually quite the advocate for so called hidden gems, but honestly, Psychonauts never truly impressed me back in the day. It's in no way bad mind you, but as a Tom Schaffer fan at the time, due to prior games he was involved with, I was probably expecting something meeting the same quality so it may have effected my overall opinion. I always considered it just an"OK" of a game.

• 0_1653753673213_God of War.png

#3: God of War - 16 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Brannox)
    #2: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 1 (DIPSET)
    #4: 2 (Crepe, bam541)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: March 22, EU: July 8
    Developer: Santa Monica Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, hack and slash
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKKR6099z8

Had I found this 17 years ago, my memories of this game might be more positive.

• What a game. What a start for the series. The first God of War was honestly one of the only games that I slightly hesitated to ask my parents to buy as I was still under 18 back then. I mean I was 17, but still everything I had read and seen about the game up until that point told me that now we were dealing with something brutal and maybe even sickening.

Well I did get the game and the rest is history. What an orgy of violence. <3

• The original Psychonauts deserves a proper remake. That same exact game executed to the level of Psychonauts 2 would be amazing.

• I think the original God of War was the first "mature" game I ever purchased that I called my own. There is a disagreement between me and my dad what my first game was (He says it was DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D, but I find it much more believable they scared me shitless as a 3-4 year old, so I say it was either Super Mario Bros. (or the Deluxe version for GameBoy Color), Pokemon Red/Blue, or Spyro the Dragon).

Anyway, the original God of War was truly a spectacle for me, especially since I got it when I was 16. I fell in love with this interpretation of Greek mythology and it inspired me to go read about the "real" thing.

The game's combat is satisfying to this day. I appreciated the Blade of Artemis changing up the combat to being a slow and powerful cleaver, the Blade of Chaos just had that iconic look, speed, and versatility of movesets that have them probably on my top list of favorite video game weapons of all time. While it might be a bit of a stretch because of how much of the game it is, but Pandora's Temple is easily the highlight for me. It's one giant puzzle, that's made up of so many other puzzles. So many combat sections, story revelations, and interesting areas. Every time I do a series replay (to which I'm looking to do soon. Just need that exact Ragnarok release date so I can plan out the timing), the original is one the highlights.

I will say however, Hades, for the most part, is a fun area... But the pillars... The pillars SSSUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK. I hate those blades so much. I understand they were so rushed and crunched to ship the game on time they couldn't be properly QA'd, but if that was the case, it should've been cut. Another thing that I really don't like is the fight against Ares. The entire game is a hack-and-slash, but the climax is like it's ripped out of an obtuse fighting game. And I don't like fighting games (except the a singular exception as I've discovered over the past month and am still playing as of writing...). So the fact Ares switches up the mechanics at the end is irritating to say the least, despite him being an interesting character.

Also, for how old it is, the game still looks good, not necessarily great, but I still think it has some charm. And the cinematics! On PS2, the God of War games had some of the best CG on the console, full-stop. I remember being awed when Ares realizes what's happening at Pandora's Temple, and throws the spire so many miles to bullseye Kratos into a bloody mess as he's pushing Pandora's Box and thinking, "Holy hell this looks incredible."

All of this isn't even getting into the secrets! The concept art, the dev-docs, different costumes with buffs, and the Trials of Olympus are all great, but the absolute best are the two phone numbers. Granted, with the advent of YouTube, the magic of secrecy on these is completely lost, but the concept of developers putting in extremely hard-to-find Easter Eggs with tangible, meaningful rewards, ESPECIALLY rewards that are outside of the game itself isn't done enough. I don't know (and I don't think it is, but it might be) if this was a first in gaming, but rewarding players with a secret phone number to call for a message from the game's director and main actor is AWESOME.

I have such fond memories of this game. If it wasn't for the reboot (and probably the coming Ragnarok), this would be my favorite of the entire franchise. As of writing, it currently sits at 29th on my top 100 games of all time and is my 2005 Game of the Year.

And now, I'm CERTAIN of what are top two are... And if I'm right, they're games I'm not high on...

Regardless, as always, massive shoutouts and thanks to my fellow voters @Crepe, @bam541, @DIPSET, and @Sentinel-Beach for getting God of War as high as the Bronze of our list!

• 0_1653838880348_Shadow of the Colossus.png

#2: Shadow of the Colossus - 27 points

Votes

#1: 4 (JDINCINERATOR, Sheria, Phbz, bam541)
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Crepe, Tearju Engi)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Sentinel Beach)

Information

Release date: NA: October 18
    Developer: Japan Studio, Team Ico
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, puzzle
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• 0_1653838935755_Resident Evil 4.png

#1: Resident Evil 4 - 33 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Sentinel Beach, kindiman, Crepe, NeoCweeny)
    #2: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, bruno_saurus)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (Sheria, Tearju Engi)
    HM: 1 (Shoulderguy)

Information

Release date: NA: January 11, PAL: March 18
    Developer: Capcom Production Studio 4
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror, third-person shooter, first-person shooter
    Platform(s): GameCube, PlayStation 2, PC, Wii, iOS, Zeebo, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Android, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Oculus Quest 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review