The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2005!

• 2004 is my favorite year in gaming so that will get my vote for sure.

I just think we need to finish the lists until 2001, are only a few more to go.

I don't think any list of any kind will receive much attention anymore though because forum activity is so low.

• @neocweeny I feel that perhaps two voting lists could run concurrently or someone else can be responsible for another top 20.

• Even though I can hardly participate in these retor votes, I still think we should fill the 2001-2004 gap.

• I'm fine with any year, just maybe publish a top15 or 10 to avoid the popular uproar.

• I concur with 2001 would be a nice stopping point for GOTY lists and in keeping it as uniform as possible, to still aim for a top 25 (but top 20 is much more likely).

• @jdincinerator You can make it if you want.

• Fatal Frame was definitely one of my favourite franchises at the time, in fact, just about any of the major or lesser known survival horror games were.
    The third game in the series is always going to be one of those overlooked, late generation titles in my eyes: Kuon, Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Cold Fear and this game all seemingly went under the radar despite the popularity of the genre at the time. Some may argue 2004's Resident Evil 4 changed expectations, but that doesn't happen in just a year or two.

What I loved about Fatal Frame III was that it tried something "new". I put new in quotation marks because while it might be new for the series, I always felt it borrowed heavily from Silent Hill 4, but in a good way. SH4 experimented with creating a "safe space" to which the player returns to in order to break up tension and also gameplay. While back here, exploration and gaining information took precedent, it was the "adventure" portion of the game if you will.
    FFIII did the same thing, even more in fact. While back in the real world, this is where you would gain information about the characters and mansion by exploring the records in your own home. Sending the player back to a familiar, homely setting was genius in my opinion. It succeeded in contrasting the tension / fear of the unknown of the main game with moments of relaxation in familiarity, that is until both games chose to shake things up later in the game by letting the paranormal bleed into the real world.

I'd recommend Fatal Frame III to just about any survival horror fan, it's just that good.

• @neocweeny 2004 was a great year. I've only played about 15 games from that year but they are all bangers.

• 0_1652717478942_Mario Kart DS.png

#15: Mario Kart DS - 5 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Brannox)
    #4: 1 (brunojoey)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: November 14, AU: November 17, EU: November 25
    Developer: Nintendo EAD Group No. 1
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Kart racing
    Platform(s): Nintendo DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Mario Kart DS is a good game in the series but to be honest all the Mario Kart games after Double Dash just kind of blend in together in my mind. Don't remember what was different about this one of which tracks are from DS.

@sheria That sounds great. I've only played the first one in the series but you get me excited to play this one.

Resident Evil 4 is from 2005 though.

• @shoulderguy It has quite a few of my all time favorite games. Some of them would only get an HM.

• Hey, I'll take the 4 way tie for last place.

The Warriors was a hard cut. I absolutely love the game, and it was probably one of the last games I played with some of my buddies who started to outgrow gaming around 2005. It's environments and weapon variety is what makes it great. I love the film and the game doesn't really add much, but it's a cool backdrop.

SOCOM 3

It's nowhere close to as great as SOCOM II, but II is also one of the best MP shooters ever made. SOCOM III, however, has an incredible Campaign. It was cinematic, tactical, bombastic. The Campaign and MP levels were HUGE and pushed the PS2 to it's limit. You actually see a lot of the SOCOM DNA in a lot of the early 360/PS3 games and I think it's a very underrated shooter.

They doubled down on it and made a fully online co-op sequel called Combined Assault. Again, ahead of it's time with the squad based online co-op.

• Mario Kart DS is one of two MKs I've ever had any significant time with, and I remember this being my most played game on my DS. After conquering 150cc, there wasn't really anything to pull me back. Still, I have fond memories of it and because of the Smash-like nature of MK 8 getting so many new tracks now, I might get that at some point. Because it's been so long since I've played, I'm feeling the pull, however slightly, to jump into Kart. And because of me wanting MK8: Deluxe, I don't ever foresee coming back to MKDS. Shoutout to my fellow voter brunojoey to get this to the top 15!

• 0_1652805322516_SWAT 4.png

#14: SWAT 4 - 5 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (bam541)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (kindiman)

Information

Release date: NA: April 5, EU: April 8
    Developer: Irrational Games
    Publisher: Vivendi Universal Games
    Genre: Tactical shooter
    Platform(s): PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've always wanted to play the swat series but never have.

• i think we can all agree that mario kart ds should be higher and that advance wars is the best of the 6 way tie

• SWAT 4 is way better than it has any right to be. It actually has some incredibly atmospheric individual levels. The one early on where you get to invade somebody's house at night and see what's really going on there, it definitely caught me off guard. I think the controls and systems will need some time to get used to since it's kinda complex, and to be honest I never fully managed to get the hang of it. Always got somebody in my squad hurt or killed especially after the first few levels, which is why I never actually finished it. Real time tactical stuff isn't my cup of tea usually, but I can't say that I wasn't having a blast despite my troubles, which I think says a lot. I used to retry the later levels so many times and I don't mind it at all. I especially commend the squad AI for not being terrible like in most games, they follow orders well, and they react to your orders/actions which adds some personality to them. I have been thinking about replaying this game but just haven't found the time for it.

• Seeing SWAT 4 and the initial knee-jerk response I had was, "I've never heard of the SWAT games, but then as I think, I might have seen a screenshot from a SWAT game a long time back. But when it comes to Tac-Shooters, there's only really Rainbow Six that still hangs around in terms of mindshare and genre. Not to say Tac-Shooters are bad, and I think there could be more if done right, but as far as SWAT goes, I don't think this is something I would ever try.

• 0_1652889999925_Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.png

#13: Tony Hawk's American Wasteland - 5 points

Votes

#1: 1 (DIPSET)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: October 18, EU: October 28
    Developer: Neversoft
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've only played one of the Pro Skaters (4 I think) so I have no connection/idea about THUG, American Wasteland, heck, practically ANY TH or skating game of any kind.