Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004

• Our 2005 GOTY election results were recently revealed and now we are moving straight over to the next retro GOTY election. This time we are voting for our favorite games of 2004!

Here are the rules:

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but you must at least have a Top 4.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2004, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2004 are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones are eligible.
    • Full remakes are eligible.

June 26th will be the last day to submit your votes. Make sure to look over the list of eligible games below carefully before submitting your list. Thank you and have fun!

• Suggested List of Eligible Games:

January

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, Sonic Heroes, Destruction Derby Arenas, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, Sonic Battle

February

R-Type Final, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Metroid: Zero Mission, Nightshade, Wrath Unleashed, Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship Tournament 2004, Feeding Frenzy, Jet Li: Rise to Honor, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX, Steel Battalion: Line of Contact, Metal Slug 5

March

Drakengard, Final Fantasy II, Lifeline, Ninja Gaiden, MTX Mototrax, The Suffering, Firefighter F.D.18, Seven Samurai 20XX, Battlefield Vietnam, Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, Unreal Tournament 2004, Sacred, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Far Cry, All-Star Baseball 2005, Samurai Jack: The Shadow of Aku, Resident Evil Outbreak, Carmen Sandiego: The Secret of the Stolen Drums, Syberia II, Glass Rose, Siren, Pokémon Colosseum

April

Alias, Fight Night 2004, Painkiller, Serious Sam Advance, TOCA Race Driver 2, Hitman: Contracts, City of Heroes, Beyond Divinity, Onimusha 3: Demon Siege

May

N, La Pucelle: Tactics, Red Dead Revolver, RalliSport Challenge 2, Vib-Ripple, Samurai Warriors, Future Tactics: The Uprising, Way of the Samurai 2, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, Metal Slug 3

June

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Sonic Advance 3, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, Ribbit King, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Front Mission 4, Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising, Driver 3, Mega Man Battle Network 4, Spider-Man 2, F-Zero: GP Legend, Mario Golf: Advance Tour

July

Tales of Symphonia, Richard Burns Rally, Athens 2004, Puyo Pop Fever, Sudeki, Crimson Tears, Bujingai, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Way of the Samurai 2

August

Madden NFL 2005, Doom 3, Astro Boy: Omega Factor, Pikmin 2, WWE Day of Reckoning, Street Racing Syndicate, The Guy Game, Phantom Brave, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Everybody's Golf 4

September

Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Saga of Ryzom, Mega Man X: Command Mission, Terminator 3: The Redemption, Digimon Rumble Arena 2, Burnout 3: Takedown, Silent Hill 4: The Room, The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius: Attack of the Twonkies, Advance Guardian Heroes, Gradius V, Fable, Sly 2: Band of Thieves, The Sims 2, Def Jam: Fight for NY, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Blood Will Tell, Dance Dance Revolution Extreme, Second Sight, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force, Katamari Damacy, Rome: Total War, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Armored Core: Nexus, Myst IV: Revelation, Crash Twinsanity, Conflict: Vietnam, X-Men Legends, Donkey Konga

October

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms, Scaler, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Tribes: Vengeance, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, Mega Man Zero 3, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, BloodRayne 2, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Tak 2: The Staff of Dreams, FIFA Football 2005, Under the Skin, Neo Contra, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus, Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django, Ape Escape: Pumped & Primed, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, Grand Theft Auto Advance, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigi no Dungeon, Law & Order: Justice is Served, The Bard's Tale, Devil Children Messiah Riser, OutRun 2

November

Counter-Strike: Source, Godzilla: Save the Earth, Killzone, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Spyro: A Hero's Tail, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Bejeweled 2, Neocron 2: Beyond Dome of York, FlatOut, EverQuest II, Mario Power Tennis, Halo 2, Jak 3, Hot Wheels: Stunt Track Challenge, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Need for Speed: Underground 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Feel the Magic: XY/XX, Fight Club, Half-Life 2, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, Asphalt Urban GT, Castle Shikigami 2, Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space, Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, Alien Hominid, World of Warcraft, Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, Armies of Exigo, Scrapland, It's Mr. Pants, Sid Meier's Pirates!: Live the Life, WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW, Backyard Wrestling 2: There Goes the Neighborhood

December

Metal Slug Advance, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, Mario Party 6, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Kuon, Mega Man X8, Viewtiful Joe 2, NFL Street 2, Garry's Mod

Late Additions

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Comment below if you want any games added to this list.

• Reading through, I thought this was going to be a stinker of a vote...then I got to October-December. Yeesh, this is gonna be a blood bath.

• Ok now I'm an 11-12 year-old boy at this point in time and certainly did not have the luxury of playing the best of 2004. I did play a handful of games from genres I was used to such as action adventures and racing games, but some stellar games from this year I've never played.

• I've send my list. I don't feel strongly about any of my nominees, so order is almost random. If this will wreak havoc on the list, sorry, fellas.

• It's my favorite year in gaming. Had to leave out games that would have been in my top 4 if they were released in a different year.

• This is tough because I didn't play most of the all time classics on this list until later in life. Maybe 5-15 years later kinda thing. And I love these classics dearly, but it's so unfair to the other games one this list from 2004 that I played back then and absolutely loved as well.

I guess it's just a matter of ranking them and thinking about how some of the classics hold up.

• Urgh...pretty weak year for me. Most of the unique, innovative stuff on GC and Xbox was weighted to to the first 2 or 3 years, then stuff became more franchised/generic/drenched in attitude. And there is a significant game that will be on many lists, but not mine.

• Looking at my 2004 roster of games, this was surprisingly a strong year for me.

For the first time since these countdowns started all the way back at this Forums' inception in 2016, I played a game for the first time to become my GOTY in a countdown year. All "Retro" years we've done, I may have added a game that wound up being pretty far down the list, but THIS YEAR I played a game that made me shocked at how (to me) great it is.

Also, I will shoutout a game at the end of the countdown that would've been my #4 vote, but it is not eligible...

• A fantastic year, this will be tricky. There's one game that's a bit of a conflict though, I don't necessarily want to put it at number one but at the same time I kind of have to...

• @sheria said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004:

A fantastic year, this will be tricky. There's one game that's a bit of a conflict though, I don't necessarily want to put it at number one but at the same time I kind of have to...

Donkey Konga?

• lol this year is so second half heavy. I have a clear number 1 game which doesn't happen too often. If I can somehow play MGS3 before the vote ends then it'll probably be in, but even without that I have enough games to vote for. Shoutout to Terminator 3: The Redemption, a legitimately good game and also one of the better licensed games out there.

• @neocweeny said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004:

@sheria said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004:

A fantastic year, this will be tricky. There's one game that's a bit of a conflict though, I don't necessarily want to put it at number one but at the same time I kind of have to...

Donkey Konga?

Hehe. Let's just say a unique social experience is wonderful and all but at the same time it isn't technically a criteria for gauging how good a game is.

• @sheria The Guy Game?

• @neocweeny said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004:

@sheria The Guy Game?

That's the true number one for the year, people will just be too embarrassed to list it.

• The best thing about these more retro countdowns is the opportunity to vote for games in long-lost franchises. I mean who remembers the Maximo games, Downhill Domination, Under The Skin, Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy or Second Sight? There were a treasure trove of wonderful little gems that are buried in time. Luckily back then there were demos in magazines, where I managed to sample a handful of these, but now these classics are reduced to the memories of avid noughties gamers. I doubt the EZA stream team will ever get the chance to play them because the community tends to vote for them to play modern up-to-date titles instead.

• @bam541 A remaster of that Terminator game would've been far more welcome than having to slog through Terminator Resistance.

• @jdincinerator said in Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2004:

I doubt the EZA stream team will ever get the chance to play them because the community tends to vote for them to play modern up-to-date titles instead.

I once convinced the majority of voters to vote for Filament - practically unknown indie puzzle game that I've adored. So, don't give up.

• @ffff0 I think you're well respected as though you are part of Easy Allies. All those tribute videos you've put together and how often you make yourself noticed makes it easier for community members to see things your way.

• @jdincinerator I consider The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild a poorly designed game, I think that Mario controls awfully, I don't get why God of War (2018) or any Halo game is beloved, I'm convinced that Ghost of Tsushima has bad visuals, I love Mass Effect 3's original ending and can't decide whether 2 or Andromeda are the worst in the series, and I've stated those opinions multiple times. So I doubt anyone takes my recommendations at face value.