The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2004!

• Here it is! The countdown for the Easy Allies Community retro GOTY top 20 for the year of 2004.

16 people voted and nominated a total of 60 different games.

Here are the results!

• 0_1656353665983_Doom 3.png

#20: Doom 3 - 5 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (ffff0, kindiman)
    HM: 1 (Phbz)

Information

Release date: NA: August 3, EU: August 13
    Developer: id Software
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: First-person shooter, survival horror
    Platform(s): PC, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I think 2004 has many great games but Doom 3 is not one of them. It's enjoyable for one or two hours after it just becomes really boring and repetitive.

• I've heard so many mixed things about this game. I think I could easily enjoy myself playing it for the first time open minded in 2022. I've heard with mods, it can shape into a great game.

Even if it is flawed, that box art always stood out to me. I really wanted to play it but it also looked pretty extreme for an 8 year old at the time.

• Only played Doom 3 last year, I've enjoyed it and would like the next Doom to be an improved and modernised version of that.

• For being such a massive DOOM fan, this is the one game in the franchise I haven't played. It's so different in so many ways from anything else in the DOOM franchise, I don't think I'll ever try it. I DID give serious consideration to grabbing the BFG edition that got put out in the PS3/Xbox 360, but there's just too much I shied away for:

I don't like the enemy design. I dislike having to juggle between flashlight and weapons. The weapons themselves don't look impactful. The level design doesn't appear inspiring. And I don't think it's overall look has aged well.

Still I remember the hype it brought to the point it was voted Game of Show at the previous year's E3 and I remember it was a feather in the cap for being an original Xbox console exclusive to pair with its dominant PC base.

So overall, I'm happy it made our countdown.

• Doom 3 gets boring gameplay-wise a bit faster compared to the other Doom games, but at least it got great horror atmosphere. I would rather play this than the other Doom games tbh. It does lack a great soundtrack imo.

• 0_1656438527613_Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow.png

#17: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 5 points

Votes

#2: 1 (Oscillator)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (kindiman)

Information

Release date: NA: March 23, EU: March 26
    Developer: Ubisoft Milan, Ubisoft Shanghai
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Stealth
    Platform(s): Xbox, PC, Game Boy Advance, Mobile, PlayStation 2, GameCube, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

0_1656438598932_Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II.png

#17: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - 5 points

Votes

#2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    HM: 1 (Brannox)

Information

Release date: NA: December 6
    Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
    Publisher: LucasArts
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Xbox, PC, Linux, OS X, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

0_1656438643915_Metroid Zero Mission.png

#17: Metroid: Zero Mission - 5 points

Votes

#2: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 1 (bruno_saurus)

Information

Release date: NA: February 9, AU: March 19, EU: April 8
    Developer: Nintendo R&D1
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Game Boy Advance

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Never played Pandora Tomorrow past the first location because the only copy I currently have is the PS3 trilogy and the frame rate is kinda bad so it's kinda hampering my excitement for it. It's the only one of the OG trilogy that doesn't seem to have a PC version available easily. I did enjoy what I played tho, the first location has better level design than a lot of the first game already, lol.

Also I'm surprised to see KOTOR 2 this low. People have been saying high-ass praises about the story for years.

• I recently finished Metroid: Zero Mission on the Wii U and although I haven't completed that many Metroid games, Zero Mission is my new favorite. The gameplay is great, it has the best flow from level to level with really clear goals but it still rewards exploration. It could have made my list if it released in a different year, but 2004 is just too stacked with great games.

• I swear I recall playing Splinter Cell 1 all the way to the end with a friend, but for whatever reason, Pandora Tomorrow kicked my ass and I barely made it anywhere in the game. I still want to replay the OG Trilogy one day because of how beloved these games are and since Stealth is up there as one of my favourite genres, I think I'll end up liking it a lot more as an adult than a kid who can barely beat the first level.

Also heard amazing things about KOTOR II. I think I've given up on Star Wars outright. It's gotten too oversaturated and the quality is all over the place for me to really sit down and give a damn about the franchise anymore. But, there are still a few older pieces of media like the KOTOR series that I think I'd understand since I was engaged back in the prequel trilogy era.

• If Sam Fisher spent his time in Indonesia shampooing his hair they might as well have called the game Splinter Cell: Pantene Tomorrow. I think only British people will get that one.

• Kotor II I have yet to play. Loved the original though.

Pandora Tomorrow is a decent but by far the weakest in the Trilogy imo.

Metroid: Zero Mission is a bit of a disappointment imo. Like Fusion it is very linear and easy. I love the open structure of the NES original. It's a shame this has been thrown out the window in Zero Mission. I know you can sequence break but for someone who plays through Metroid games casually I wouldn't find how to do it.
    I do love that the original NES game is included here. I feel like this is something every remake should do.

• Going one by one of the above three way tie:

Pandora Tomorrow: What I say in our most recent countdown regarding Chaos Theory applies, so I'll copy it here:

"I've never gotten into Splinter Cell, but it's been a franchise that I should on paper because I'm such a big stealth fan. However, I'm kind of, in the best case scenarios, lukewarm on Ubisoft and honestly a little tired of the Tom Clancy brand. As for Splinter Cell specifically, I consistently hear Chaos Theory tops them all, with Pandora Tomorrow being a strong contender as well. But Splinter Cell also has a TON of games and I'm not really interested in both starting over and going through Sam Fisher's whole arc nor just jumping in blind. Nowadays, Splinter Cell is the one Ubisoft game I hear so many fans call out for and Ubisoft, for whatever unknown reason, just doesn't want to do. Granted, I thought the same about EA and Dead Space, but if the release date holds, we're just (six) months from that so...."

KOTOR II: I actually DON'T like this all that much. Of the 11 games I played, I have it 9th, but because of an ineligibility, it got my final HM slot, so in a sense, it wouldn't have made the countdown. My biggest gripes all revolve on its sequel nature and the fact the end is so abrupt, unsatisfying with how it ends with unresolved arcs, the two main antagonists (both the one you chase and the REAL antagonist) are uninspired AND telegraphed. There's a magic in the first KOTOR that just isn't there in the sequel, and this could be do to being done by different developers, but for me, it's a major disappointment. I've played the original a few times, I'm so stoked for the remake, but because of how much of a letdown KOTOR II is, I don't foresee replaying it again.

Metroid: Zero Mission: I haven't played/seen this, but I've dabbled with watching playthroughs of Prime, Super Metroid, and Dread because of a casual interest in the franchise. So while I'm good on going through another Metroid stream for awhile, I would be down with this one because I hear good things about this game whenever it gets brought up.

• I found Pandora Tomorrow's campaign too difficult and a bit obtuse storywise, and I don't think I made it past the second mission. However, the online Spies vs Mercs 2v2 multiplayer is legendary.

The lighting engine is beautiful and fully integrated into the gameplay, and the map designs are both complex and balanced. I never got sick of it. If Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer was combined with Chaos Theory's campaign, the result would end up in the top half of my top 50 games of all time list.

Youtube Video

• I don't know why I've never played KotOR2 since KotOR is one of my favourite RPGs. Probably something I've seen in a review back then that rubbed me the wrong way.

• Sorry I'm late. Doom 3 is my #4 because I've played only 5 2004 games. Don't remember it at all besides the fact that visuals very very impressive at that time.

• @oscillator

Damn! Learn something new every day. That FPS MP looks really fleshed out.

It's funny how so many older video games had high quality multiplayer, but it was treated as a throwaway tag on so nobody knew about it. It's like going to the store to buy a new car and they give you a fancy gift basket full of treats and doodads as a thank-you, but I came here for a car so this gift basket is just going to sit in the trunk forever.

I like how it works nowadays where developers treat MP and SP as two separate products with two dedicated teams so they both get the attention they deserve.

• 0_1656525912556_Gradius V.png

#15: Gradius V - 5 points

Votes

#1: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #2: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: September 14, EU: October 8
    Developer: Treasure
    Publisher: Konami