A few suggestions

• So.... the Official EasyAllies website has launched. Hurrah! But, I can't help but think that there is something missing. I mean, yeah the homepage looks great, and yeah we have a forum. However, when GameTrailers still existed before February 8th, 2016, Its website had a coherent, consistent professional design that was seen throughout the entire site. That Included the forums.

So, here we are now with the EasyAllies and EasyAllies.com, the GameTrailers Spiritual Successor we could all dream of. by comparing GameTrailers.com and EasyAllies.com, there appears to be a problem! With the EasyAllies and Plays YouTube channels, the EasyAllies Twitch, and their patreon, there is a kind of laid back, personal feel to the look and feel of each avenue of the Allies' works, which brings a simple, yet, kinda rare sense of Positivity, which sheds a light into the darkness that is the Gaming Industry, and Sometimes yet even the fandom.

To an extent, does anybody feel that laid back, positive vibe of the look and feel of the other avenues of the Allies is lost when you go to the site and its forums?
    I sure do, and probably you guys, If you comment.

So, without further ado, I propose this. Having seen the website and the forums, wouldn't Brandon and the allies want us to propose improvements to the website to make it much more than it is today? That is why I ask all of us, as supporters of the Allies' endeavors, what would you like to see as part of the website, or heck, what do want it and the forums to look like in the future? I have awesome Ideas on what could be done with the site and the forums, but they're best put in the comments!
    I
    truly encourage Ideas, suggestions and Concept arts for the future of the site!

And we all want the Allies to succeed right?

I strongly encourage us to think about this, as the site and forums in it's current stage just don't compare to GameTrailers.com in it's height.

Thanks to whichever wondrous junior allies help continue the discussion down below! It's much appreciated so we as fans can all help improve this wondrous site and it's forums!

• admin

@Moogle_Bastion I like the sentiment, but I worked on GT every day for years to get it to where it was at its height. I worked on easyallies.com for a few weeks, because that's what was budgeted.

If you guys come up with new features you'd like to see, that's great, but keep in mind that all of this is constrained by budget. There are a lot of advantages to not being owned by a big corporation anymore, but you need to be realistic about the resources available.

• I actually can't see your viewpoint whatsoever. The site and forums are top-tier and look extremely professional. Professional doesn't mean they can't be laid back in their videos at all. I wouldn't majorly change this site for anything else.

• @UltimateBrent any chance we can make the website opensource? Me personally and I think other patrons could contribute features/layout tweaks. I know at least one community website that runs that way, contribution are rare but they happen and add a real value in the long run.

• I actually think it's great the way it is? The amount of things they are doing and running while on a tight budget is amazing. I would not ask too much of them at this point. I honestly never used the gametrailers website, it was just too chunky to use for me (which made sense consider the amount of traffic and content it had to hold up). I think, in this day and age websites just need to be practical, lean and snappy. Gone are the days of heavy image populated pages. That's just my opinion though.

• @ObbyDent @hesfolkertsma I agree with both of you. Both the site and the forum are great. I absolutely love clean, flat, minimalist designs and they nailed it. Sure there's place for small improvements but the way they look and behave right now is pretty much all I want/need.

• @anatoly That would be great. Maybe having the source code on Github as a public or even private repository (with contributors invited individually) could help create small fixes or potentially even new features. Whoever wanted to contribute would just create a pull request and an admin would either accept it or deny/offer explanation.

@UltimateBrent, would you consider something like this?

• admin

@anatoly said in The Unofficial EasyAllies.com and EasyAllies Forums Ideas, Suggestions, Improvements, Concept art and Discussion thread.:

@UltimateBrent any chance we can make the website open source?

No, not the website. The forums are nodebb and use plugins though. There's a decent chance that any forums features y'all want have already been built and just need to be installed.

• @UltimateBrent Sure :) Just keep in mind that if you ever need help, just holla. I bet there will be a lot of people like myself who would love to help ;)

• Not sure I agree that the laid back and positive attitude is missing when you look at this site.

To me the way this site is set up with a simple and clean colour scheme is representative of exactly what I imagine it to be. It's the same colour scheme and design that is used across all other channels, be it Youtube, Twitch or Patreon.

It's easy to use, fits in perfectly with everything else and the type of laid back attitude that should be represented here comes from us users, not the page design.

If there is just one little niggle I have it's that I'd love a "quote highlighted text" option.

• @UltimateBrent said in The Unofficial EasyAllies.com and EasyAllies Forums Ideas, Suggestions, Improvements, Concept art and Discussion thread.:

No, not the website.

Ok, but please ping me if a policy would ever change or if you need some extra hands.

The forums are nodebb and use plugins though

Have you considered usual light on content community strategy with having frontpage be part of the forums? Could be fun to do :) It also prolly have all the primitive required to make site reactive without too much effort.

• @Griffin layout/colors are fine. But it really needs some touches to make structure/content more apparent.

• When I think about it, it feels very complicated to pull off, but let's throw this idea in here anyway :)

Clearly forums and the main site are their own platforms and doesn't "talk" with each other. But if/when the site evolves, it would be awesome to have a profile on the main site as well. That profile would have a linking possibility with user's Patreon account, which then would add those videos that the Patron is qualified for (Cup of Jones etc.) to the main site's video feeds. That would be great and would result in less checking from multiple sites.

Anyway, loving what you do! :) Greetings from Finland to all Allies around the world.

• @SirMathays Yeah, that would be awesome, although there doesn't really seem to be a reliable API (application programming interface) from Patreon to get the data in the right format to integrate with the forum. Maybe sometime in the future ;)

What @UltimateBrent and mods could do in the future is to create a Patron only forum, which would be manually managed with people getting access to specific forums based on their level of reward. But since there are over 5000 patrons at this point, this is probably overkill :)

• admin

@SirMathays said in The Unofficial EasyAllies.com and EasyAllies Forums Ideas, Suggestions, Improvements, Concept art and Discussion thread.:

Clearly forums and the main site are their own platforms and doesn't "talk" with each other. But if/when the site evolves, it would be awesome to have a profile on the main site as well. That profile would have a linking possibility with user's Patreon account, which then would add those videos that the Patron is qualified for (Cup of Jones etc.) to the main site's video feeds. That would be great and would result in less checking from multiple sites.

I poked around with the Patreon API a bit actually. It was originally going to be the only way to log into the forums, and it would pull in your support level and stuff. We decided that was a little too exclusionary, and it was more important to let everyone join as easily as possible vs. the integration. Also, there's probably plenty of people that don't want their donation level shared.

I'm with you on stuff like Cup of Jones and other patreon only stuff. That might be worth some sort of non-login integration after E3.

• @UltimateBrent said in The Unofficial EasyAllies.com and EasyAllies Forums Ideas, Suggestions, Improvements, Concept art and Discussion thread.:

I'm with you on stuff like Cup of Jones and other patreon only stuff. That might be worth some sort of non-login integration after E3.

Awesome to hear! Hopefully you are able to pull that off!

• Any thoughts on having each individual Ally's twitter accounts linked to the official Twitter feed on the main page? Especially during conferences like E3 I don't imagine the main Twitter will get updated that often but might be nice to see what each member of the gang has to say during the day.

• admin

@Greymarch said in The Unofficial EasyAllies.com and EasyAllies Forums Ideas, Suggestions, Improvements, Concept art and Discussion thread.:

Any thoughts on having each individual Ally's twitter accounts linked to the official Twitter feed on the main page? Especially during conferences like E3 I don't imagine the main Twitter will get updated that often but might be nice to see what each member of the gang has to say during the day.

That's up to Brandon and crew, but the main account retweets the guys a lot.

EDIT: FYI, I edited the topic title, because I do not want this thread to become a catch-all for suggestions and ideas. Please just make your own topic for your suggestion.

• Why is there not a link to the Twitch channel at the top of the page? I was looking for it the other day and was delayed in getting there.

• @Knwtmsyn Cause the link's in the box that shows the status of the Twitch channel right under the giant word "Stream".