Overwatch (PC/PS4/XB1)

• @Inustar I love the shorts too. That was a really cool one. I did feel like there was a bit too much exposition early on but still, good stuff.

Just to continue the stream of OW news recently (feels like everyday now), sounds like we're going to see some significant changes to Mercy very soon too. More in the article (PCgamesN ) but basically the principle designer said there are "interesting and sweet changes" coming soon for Mercy.

• The Mercy changes I spoke of are huge!

Youtube Video

• @tokeeffe9 Love this change. As he mentioned, there is nothing more disheartening than coordinating taking a point/killing most of the enemy team, and Mercy swooping in and resurrecting everyone just because she was hiding. The most annoying ultimate in the game is now gone, yay! Valkyrie sounds fun (probably not fun enough to make me play Mercy) but I'm wondering just how long the up-time is on it.

• @SabotageTheTruth

PTR patch notes

The Ult lasts 20 seconds which is a fair bit of time. I really like the change too. It should lead to a lot more skill based play now that a lot of Mercy's won't look for that huge rez and they can consistently be reviving people.

The D va changes are in there too if you're looking for specifics and there is one really nice change for Reinhardt, when you hold down the primary fire button while holding the shield, you can control the camera and look around you. That extra awareness is a nice little buff for Rein.

Blizzard have been on a roll with OW recently. Still not a fan of the Roadhog change but I like everything else.

• Yup. I really agree @SabotageTheTruth

Mercy's ult is one of the most unenjoyable things in a multiplayer game.

• I don't play Mercy much cause I suck as her, and one of the things I am terrible with is knowing when to use that ultimate. I always end up holding on to it because I think there will be a miracle rez situation.
    So this change is, imo, great. I might play her more often 😊
    I also look forward to D.Va changes, though I love playing her now. Only tank I play more is Zarya.

Winston remains my least played tank, just can't figure him out. He seems to die easily for me.

• @Inustar Winston is all about being unpredictable and timing when to jump the hell out of there and when to use his shield. I'd say Zarya and Winston are the most difficult to use, but I'm a bit better with Winston. Those leaps!

• I tend to play a lot of Winston and I think you just really have to be focused on your cooldowns, who to target and when to get out.

If you can get close to the enemy without wasting your jump or with it coming back pretty soon, that's a good start. You could be pounced on really quickly with no support, so it's essential to be able to get out if you need to.

Drop your shield bubble quickly. Now that the cooldown replenishes from when it's dropped as opposed to when it breaks, it makes using it early pretty usedul. With that change, it's good to quickly get into the position you want and drop it so that you get that next one a bit quicker, before the enemy have damaged your current one.

I mentioned you have to be focused, always remember who you need to attack. The supports and snipers in particular. You don't want to jump in and start attacking a Reaper, Bastion, Roadhog etc. You're just wasting time and feeding their ults. I think this is where most people hate Winston. They think he's too weak and gets taken down to easily. You need to pick your early fights correctly. Hopefully then, the rest of the team will be able to support you in heals and dps.

One thing I do still screw up with is his ult. You should try and do as much damage as you can and then when your health is pretty low, use your ult. Sometimes I still leave that a little bit too late. Definitely something I must improve on.

Hopefully some of those tips might help.Like if there is a match with a Widow, Hanzo, Symmetra, genji etc (which happens), you can have an absolute field day with Winston.

• @tokeeffe9 Good tips, I shall keep all that in mind if I play him. I don't know if I'll choose him in regular play but I love playing mystery heroes so when I get him in that maybe I won't feel so lost now.
    I can safely say though that I will NEVER learn to play Widowmaker. I just don't have the eye for headshots.

• I'm really looking forward to the DVA and mercy changes.

Mercy's ultimate is one of the most unenjoyable parts of the game, and DVA's right click lasts far too long. Combined with how popular Zarya is, any hero with projectiles is frustrating to play.

• Welp, played my first round of free for all death match and... I won. It's decent fun but it has the problem I figured it would have - some heroes just aren't viable/used at all. Lots of Soldiers, Reapers, and Tracers.

• @SabotageTheTruth I am having a lot of fun with death match, surprising really since I thought I would prefer team DM. But you are right, the DPS characters (and roadhog) are pretty prevalent, with only the occasional surprise pick. I've had a lot of Battle Mercys actually, they never seem to do well.

• I only played a few rounds the first day and I noticed a lot of Junkrats.

Anyway seemed fun but I still just got by rewards and got out of there. I think I will go back though as it could be a good place to practice dps for me.

Far more disappointing for me is that with the last week or so, my wifi adapter seems to be very glitchy. I'm using bootcamp so I've just rolled back the windows driver on it and repaired OW in case that was the issue but no luck. I've no idea if you can rollback bootcamp updates as that does have wifi updates too.

Basically the issue is that I get massive lag now every so often. Players will stop moving on screen for 2-3 seconds. I look at my fps and ping and they are both fine, no weird spikes show up there but there is clearly an issue. The sound will cut off and get static too just as it's about to happen. I'll have another look tonight to see if I can fix it.

• So apparently the changes to D .va aren't being met with too much love on the PTR right now. Since she can only have Defense Matrix up for a total of 2 seconds at full charge (and it takes 10 seconds to fully charge back up) and she has one of the largest head hit boxes on her mech, she's being absolutely shredded. Hopefully Blizz strikes some sort of balance because the current state of it definitely feels like it's too powerful, yet if she's only in her mech for a second or two, she's not really tanking either. One suggestion I read that I loved is to keep the uptime at 4 seconds, but have it scale depending on how much damage she's absorbing. I dunno, I'm just a little worried now, since she's my go-to tank.

Sounds like you all saw some more varied characters in DM than I did. The only non-offensive hero I saw was a Mei and it felt like the person playing her just wanted to troll.

• I don't know of there is anything quite so frustrating as ending a Deathmatch with 8 kills and like 24 assists. Everyone kept sneaking in and taking my kills. In a couple matches it was a particularly sneaky (and admittedly talented) Lucio. Not entirely sure why they even keep track of assists since they don't factor into anything, even ties for kills.

• @Inustar Ya. Honestly I think that just shows how poor my aim is. I haven't seen a match where I haven't had the most assists also.

But I'm okay with it as I'm trying to use deathmatch as a training ground to improve my dps play.

That said, my internet issues aren't helping me too much. I don't think I'll get to season 6 competitive play until I get some update.

• @tokeeffe9 One bonus I have had so far is that I've really improved my Reaper play. So that's good.

• I have to say that I'm absolutely loving deathmatch. It has completely changed what I used to do when playing solo. Before I'd hop on mystery heroes in arcade to grab the lootboxes and then go onto quick play but now I'm pretty much constantly on deathmatch.

I just find it's a lot of fun, it's pretty quick and I get to mess around with characters and not have to worry about what my team thinks.

It's cool that they've added more maps to the roster but some of them feel a bit too big. At times I feel like I'm spawned across the other side of the map.

Anyway, easily my favourite mode that they've added to the game. I'm still all about the team element of OW but this is a great distraction.

• Youtube Video

Overwatch Patch notes

Some really good skins in the Halloween event. Just had a few arcade games last night to get some lootboxes. Honestly, a little disappointed that the PvE is in the same area. Was hoping it'd at least be a nice progression from last year.

On the patch notes, they've changed up how ults work and I'm not entirely sure if they've majorly buffed Genji. Says he can no longer be stunned or hacked while while in ult and I'm not sure if that just means the very beginning or the whole thing.

• Playing Symmetra in death match is my new addiction <3 I main Symmetra usually (feels like she's about 80% of my playtime), but avoided her in solo due to her not seeming like a good fit. I pretty much only play as her and Tobjorn now, even if the wins are rare, you can usually get a solid Top 3 finish.

All I want now is that Zarya 80s skin