Vote for the 1st Ever Developer Gameography Rankings (Insomniac)!

• Insomniac is such a great choice because they had a few core series throughout the years that they just leaned into and kept perfecting. Tbh, I still don't know if they have topped the OG Spyro series. I think OG PS1 Insomniac Spyro is celebrated, but it doesn't get enough credit for being pretty much flawless. Spyro 1 was lacking some meat on the bone, but Spyro 2 and 3 have incredible level design, charming character design, a ton of gameplay variety, a mix between "easy" and outright difficulty challenges. Those games are easy to beat but hard to 100%.

Spider-Man on PS4 was actually a game I completely abandoned early on with weird pacing and storytelling at the beginning. They throw you into a heavily scripted scene, then throw you into a trash stealth mission, then immediately get you unlocking the Police Radio Towers, I quit. Thought it was open world bullshit. I tried it again on PS5 and I punched through the bad beginning and I actually love the game. Sure, it's not very inventive, but there is a strong case to be made that it's the best and most easy and approachable open world ever made. I did a full 360 on it. Not super happy with all of the base clearing and stuff, but fuck it, the gameplay is fun. They built an insanely good foundation for sequels to come.

R&C has always been great from the outset. In many ways it has peaks and valleys but the core of having a ton of gameplay ideas crammed into one short-ish game where the new ideas get in and get out before they overstay their welcome has been a recipe for success for 20 years now.

• I haven't played much of Insomniac's older games but I've been impressed by most of what I have played from them in recent years.

In addition to making great games, Insomniac is also one of the best developers at providing many different accessibility, gameplay and performance options for their games. I appreciate them even more for doing that.

• Very fascinating concept @bruno_saurus and an excellent first developer to choose. Insomniac is top five, if not top three, in my personal favorite developers.

I'm going to go ahead and say it right now, my list is going to be incomplete.

I... uh... finally got a couple of their games after being on the fence or outright disinterested for years. Currently on a God of War series replay, but once I'm done, they're my next project (side tangent: Always forget how incredibly short the God of War games are, ESPECIALLY on New Game Plus saves. Gave myself three months to go through seven games. It's been a week and a half and just have God of War III and 2018 to go).

Votes sent, so I'll sign off with a question:

Do lists require a cap on the total amount of games or is it free to be as long/short as desired? I'm sending my full list of every game from them I've played, but keeping track of it all seems... daunting. But fair play to ya @bruno_saurus.

• It's a good idea!

For me it's easy which games are in the top 6. Just not sure about the order. I like the Spyro and Ratchet PS2 trilogy a lot more than anything else they have made.

• I had to make some hard cuts. I feel really dirty about it, because I basically wanted to rank all of the R&C games but I ended up picking a few to represent the series on the whole. Insomniac just makes bangers and their series get better. Spider-Man 2 is gonna be lit.

• Insomniac is a super prolific and competent developer but I'm yet to play a game from them that sticks with me.

• Very excited for Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine! Hopefully they don't leave jollyness behind lol

• sorry spyro never got round to the trilogy remake, even though i own it. without growing up with them i doubt it would be anymore than a HM anyway but otherwise, ive played every other "good" insomniac game so im pretty set for this.

• We have two more weeks until the results get announced! And we have eight ballots! So if you would like to vote, you have 13 days left to vote!

• @nimbat1003

I appreciate the remake, but as a big OG trilogy Spyro fan, I felt like there was some charm lost in Spyro 2 and 3 in the Reignited trilogy. They are amazing and the movement feels 1:1 with a ton of smoothed out animation. But some of the art direction took liberties and I just have this hard to explain feeling that some of the PS1 charm is lost.

Still very fun and well made, especially Spyro 1 being improved with the fresh coat of paint. But it isn't my favourite remake by any means. Still, for $40 it was worth it.

• @dipset For me it's the voice acting in the remake that made Spyro 2 lose its charm.

• @neocweeny said in Vote for the 1st Ever Developer Gameography Rankings (Insomniac)!:

@dipset For me it's the voice acting in the remake that made Spyro 2 lose its charm.

Spot on. In the Frame Trap episode where Damiani talks about playing Spyro for the first time via the Reignited Trilogy, I was super happy that he loved the games but I was disappointed that he felt like Spyro 2 was his least favourite.

He cited the corny goofy cutscenes as being a bit awkward and I tend to agree with him, but they actually work so much better in the original PS1 games.

They also changed the damn "why ay ay ay ay ay ay" chant in the Colossus level :(

• @dipset It's a shame because it's a really great remake.

• Gave my votes for eight games. None of which were Resistance! Even if I have played the whole trilogy. It's all just so... brown.

• Voting Ends This Sunday!
    We have nine ballots so far! If you'd like to vote, you have six days to do so!

• Sadly I just haven't played enough of their games. I would like to take a sec to just say Spider-Man was awesome. Probably my favourite superhero game.

Resistance I always confuse with Killzone. Pretty sure I've played one or two of them but no memory of how good they were.

Sunset Overdrive is one I wish I had the chance to play. What did people here think of it?

• I do have Sunset Overdrive on my backlog, but did play it a bit for an hour or two in 2015 I think and enjoyed myself, just time got in the way!

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in Vote for the 1st Ever Developer Gameography Rankings (Insomniac)!:

Resistance I always confuse with Killzone.

I feel like most people will continue to confuse Resistance with Killzone. Both series had a lot of really great games with really interesting ideas but I wish Sony just have one of them a HUGE budget and actually put it's best foot forward in challenging COD or Halo. Not sure why Sony insisted on having two first-party FPS games in the same gen.

• Four days left to vote if you want to commit!

• I have only touched a bit of the OG Spyro 1 and it's pretty cool so I think I'll submit my votes later.