The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2003!

• @brannox Just out of interest and curiosity-what makes you averse to Spongebob?

• I based my vote on mostly my memories of the OG game on PS2, and also partly on how much fun I had with the recent remaster release. The remaster itself had a few screws loose and made the game more uneven than it is, but I still had a ton of fun with it. The Spongebob IP is just a gold mine for jolly vibes, and that is the part the OG game nailed the most, which is still very much the case in the remaster despite the problems it had. Getting to explore various well-designed Bikini Bottom levels, having entertaining interactions with familiar faces along the way, and listening to the very underrated soundtrack, it all blends to a solid game that is more than successful at translating the IP into videogame form.

• Mario Kart, Beyond Good & Evil and Spongebob were all potential honorable montions for me. All good games but not "good enough" I guess.

FF X-2 and C&C Generals I have yet to play.

Final Fantasy doesn't really count anyways because @Sheria 's real number 1 is Double Dash.

• @jdincinerator Inside the show, for me, it's a bit too stupid and many characters feel one note. Outside the show, it's tangled up in some childhood memories I try to forget, and that's all I say on it.

• Playing catch up again.

SoulCalibur II

I never would have played this game if Super Smash Bros Melee didn't get me really into fighting games when I was little. Those TV advertisements sold me. There was one where the health bar kinda attacks the screen or something and I just thought it looked wild. Once I saw Link fighting and that sold me. I recall the ads being sort of edgy and just tickled my 7-8 year old brain the right way.

Youtube Video – [01:16..]

Youtube Video – [00:06..]

SCII is probably one of the first "bad" games I played. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of me playing a game that had big titty girls bouncing around everywhere. I knew I did NOT want mom seeing me playing that shit.

Nightmare was such a cool character. Again, something about him just tapped into my imagination. I wished there was more plot or lore because these characters really stood out to me as above and beyond.

All in all, it's the only Soulcalibur game that I dug deep into. I would like to play it again. A lot of people bought it despite not being fighting fans. I think it's casual nature is really appealing. I'd play a new one because of how casual the game is overall.

• 0_1660590156969_WWE SmackDown Here Comes the Pain.png

#9: WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain - 8 points

Votes

#1: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: October 27, EU: November 7
    Developer: Yuke's
    Publisher: THQ
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• It's been fun watching the adventures of Defaulte Giga with Allies but I've never played this game myself. WWF No Mercy is the wrestling game I've played the most and it's one of my favorite Nintendo 64 games.

• I did buy this game because of the great Defaulte Giga. Will play it and love it I'm sure eventually! I enjoy Raw vs Smackdown 2006 and this wasn't that far behind so I'm sure I'll love this!

• Never really cared for wrestling in any of its forms, so I'm forced to say once again, another game I can't comment on.

• Here Comes The Pain is a truly spectacular wrestling game. It's got pretty much everything I want out of a wrestling game and then some. Look at those visuals and tell me it isn't one of the best looking PS2 games out there. The in-ring action is thunderous, you can hear every move make this resounding thud it's absolutely destructive. You got new match types like the Elimination Chamber and Bra and Panties matches, the former is an exciting addition and I suspect droves of WWE fans were pining for it after the 2002 Survivor Series-so seeing it in HCTP was breathtaking.

HCTP is the absolute best wrestling game in terms of in-ring action and it's great that it's in the top 10. I'd like to thank @Dipset for joining me in getting this game into the top 10, HCTP really deserves it.

I remember I had to choose between buying this and another game that's presumably going to be in the countdown quite soon. I chose the latter and I was still desperate for HCTP. I saw a display for HCTP outside a shop and I wanted it so badly. Thankfully I was allowed to rent it from a Blockbuster and try it out, then I got it for Christmas which was sweet.

• alt text

• 0_1660680820826_The Simpsons Hit & Run.png

#8: The Simpsons: Hit & Run - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    HM: 3 (bruno_saurus, bam541, Capnbobamous)

Information

Release date: NA: September 16, EU: October 31
    Developer: Radical Entertainment
    Publisher: Vivendi Universal Games
    Genre: Action-adventure, Driving
    Platform(s): GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Man, Hit and Run needs a remake. I hear only good things but never managed to play it and am not ready to pay new game price for it.

• Ahh yes the counterpart to my difficult videogame purchasing decision in 2003. The Simpsons: Hit & Run was so awfully exciting and still is a real treasure. Some may call it a GTA knockoff but that's why it's so good because smashing The Simpsons and GTA together is a brilliant fusion. I loved the collectibles, the missions, the story, the nods to the TV show's episodes. What a game and what a horribly painful videogame purchasing decision I had to make. I chose Hit & Run over Here Comes The Pain.

• The driving physics in The Simpsons: Hit & Run were a little janky at times and some of the mission time limits could be very difficult. Despite that, it was still an absolute blast to explore Springfield in this game and to interact with many of it's different characters, with excellent writing that evoked some of the very best of The Simpsons tv show.

• Much like what I said above about Spongebob, Simpson's Hit & Run is the Simpsons game I universally hear is the best of the IP. I actually have seen a brief gameplay segment of this years ago, but I never clicked with the Simpsons. So while I'm not averse to this as I am to SB, I still feel no desire to play Hit & Run. BUT! It's to the part of the countdown where I gotta say: Was 2003 the prime of licensed games? Because it's surprising to me to see a run of these kinds of games here.

• It's weird to be saying this because I actually would love to see more of this sort of open world game, but the vehicle-focused gameplay of Hit and Run always made me think less of it. I guess for me it's harder to appreciate the world and the characters from the show being realized when you're just speeding through the main missions. Obviously it's open world and you can just explore and such, and there's still lots to see when you're just exploring, but I always appreciated the higher production value that the main missions usually has.

• Xenosaga: Episode 1

Seems I'm the only one who ever votes for this series here. It's truly one of the most stand out series during that generation for me and while it may not have entirely seen its vision through I still think it stood out with its ambition as just a trilogy of games, well worthy of the word 'saga' in the title. Episode I, as with III, never came out here in the UK so I played it a little later than 2003 but it was everything I expected and wanted when I finally got the chance to sit down with it.

Final Fantasy X-2

I know it's always been a divisive game but I have always loved every aspect of Final Fantasy X-2, so much so that I actually prefer it to its predecessor. The gameplay/combat system often gets commented on so I wont delve much into that but when it comes to the story I think it's quite often given too much of a bad rap. Obviously the drastic change in tone is quite the shocker when you fist start playing the game but I think they did a great job using it as a way to highlight just how big an impact putting an end to the cycle of Sin had on Spira and its inhabitants; the shift in tone and behaviour really hammers down just how much of a weight had been been lifted for these people.
    I think Yuna was also really well done in this sequel. On the surface it seems that she too has drastically changed along with everyone else, but the more you play, the more you see that this is mostly just a mask she is putting on and underneath it all she is clearly really hurting still. Some of the moments she spends alone just with her own thoughts are actually quite moving . I also found the Shyuin and Lenne story really touching, especially at its conclusion but I wont spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

• 0_1660758514593_Prince of Persia The Sands of Time.png

#7: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - 11 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #2: 1 (Crepe)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (JDINCINERATOR, Phbz)

Information

Release date: NA: October 28, EU: November 14
    Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
    Publisher: Ubisoft
    Genre: Action-adventure, platform
    Platform(s): Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox, PC, Mobile

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The game's in my all time Top 5. I wrote about it in our first own Hall of Greats here. Just an unforgettable story delivered in a wonderful way, I love it.