The EZA Community Top Insomniac Games!

• Here were my votes! Which I feel like I could change even just today, but who knows!

1. A Crack in Time
    2. Spider-Man
    3. Rift Apart
    4. Resistance 3
    5. Miles Morales
    6. Going Commando
      HM: Resistance 2
      HM: Spyro the Dragon

And I am thankful for the participation for the first of these! Thanks a lot people! If you have any suggestions, I will gladly hear em! I am thinking of doing two smaller developers next time, probably in a week or something! How that process will be, we shall see!

• Here are all the Insomniac games I played ranked (and put in tiers):

1. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    2. Ratchet & Clank 3
    3. Spyro the Dragon
    4. Ratchet & Clank 2
    1. Spyro 2
    2. Ratchet & Clank (2002)
    3. Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    4. Resistance 3
    5. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    6. Spider-Man
    1. Ratchet: Gladiator
    2. Ratchet & Clank: Nexus
    3. Resistance: Fall of Man
    4. Disruptor
    1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    2. Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    3. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    1. Sunset Overdrive
    1. Ratchet & Clank (2016)
    2. Resistance 2

• #1: Spider-Man
    #2: Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    #3: Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer
    #4: Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    #5: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    #6: Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando
    HM: Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    HM: Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

• Apologies for this. It's going to be one of, if not THE, longest post I think I've ever had. And coming from ME that's saying something.

To start with Rift Apart (as will be the case for much of this thread and post), I feel I need to pull from previous GOTY countdown comments. So to discuss Rift Apart:

...The biggest takeaway for me is how it was (for me), the first TRUE example of the current gen tech in the PS5. It blew me away with how instant loading is, especially the little pocket dimensions on several of the planets. In addition, the fusion of the Dualsense's haptics and the 3D audio had me glued to the TV, fully immersed in gorgeous worlds and a fun narrative.

The most important addition is of course Rivet, and I enjoyed her character so much she NEEDS to be a series staple moving forward (Granted, with Spider-Man 2 next year and Wolverine in three [both allegedly, but remember, never believe release dates/windows], this franchise is on ice for AWHILE). Plus I got a kick out of all the references and Easter Eggs, with the RYNO being the BEST example of that. Never gets old.

When the biggest (read: most common/loudest) criticism is great game is great, it shows how solid the foundation is. MY only criticism is so light in the HUD being rearranged with where they have the bolts, ammo, etc., it kind of feels bad to even mention. I enjoyed this so much, it's catapulted up to being my 2nd favorite game of the franchise (I'm a Tools of Destruction person) and it currently rests at being my 17th favorite game of all time.

To further expound on these thoughts, I feel Rift Apart does a great job of juggling two different storylines and four different characters, all culminating quite nicely and tying together many threads. The dichotomy between the pairs of Ratchet & Clank to Rivet & Kit, how they're mirrors of each other, but opposite as well, is pretty solid. Level design is both more open and more refined, and revisiting several of my favorite places with a new twist was a massive highlight as well. For this thread, I had Rift Apart slotted at 3rd overall, and fist bumps to @DIPSET, @Nimbat1003, @Sentinel-Beach, @JDINCINERATOR, @Shoulderguy, @bruno_saurus, and @bam541!

But onto Spider-man.

I'm not shocked it's taken number 1. After four years of being on the fence and hearing from many friends and peers over that span it's so fantastic and a recent Arkham series replay to prep for Gotham Knights, I finally caved.

I'm currently playing it for the first time, and I'm practically done (I only need to defeat Rhino/Scorpion, and then I assume Octavious to finish my 100% run. And yes, I know of the post-credits scene). So with that said:

It's fine.

And I think I'm not over the moon about because the main reason why it's taken so long for me to get the game: I just don't care about Spider-man the character and the greater property. CONTEXT! I'm not a superhero person. Batman is kind of an outlier, and that's only because the Arkham Asylum's demo on 360 got me into the that series and compelled me to watch and own the Dark Knight Trilogy. So I've become a casual fan of Batman. I was really, REALLY hoping this game would do the same for Spider-man... And it just doesn't.

I did not care about ANY character in the game UNTIL the bombing of City Hall. THEN I had become invested in Peter, May, MJ, Li, Otto, and Miles. But after playing for several hours before that point, that's kind of a damning thing it takes so long to care. Another big reason why I've come around on the greater Batman universe is I find many of villains compelling in one way or another. This interpretation of Spider-Man? Only Li and Otto are really interesting, and that's due to the time given to them. Fisk? Rhino? Vulture? Electro? Scorpion? Absolutely NO establishment, no reason to care. This leads me to what I think is the game's biggest problem, which is simultaneously one of its strengths: It's the single greatest love letter and interpretation to Spider-man in games. And because I have no background or interest in Spider-man, it feels like this game is only TRULY for people who were already Spider-man fans.

Another major problem I have is this game has so. Much. FLUFF. The Outposts, Warehouses, Hideouts, and Prisoner Camps are just the same wave based fights over and Over and OVER. Many Crimes are repetitive as well and while I appreciate there are only five per group per section of the city, there are still a few sections themselves, so they old QUICK. Even Side Missions feel like letdowns because for characters like Black Cat and Tombstone feel like they're just there to be there, just barely better than throwaways. Manhattan is beautiful, well-realized, and the citizens walking around is neat, but I don't have the connection to the city many others do. Simply swinging around or flying across rooftops isn't enough incentive to play a game for me.

In addition, this game throws a LOT of mechanics at you at the jump with throwing you into swinging as your very first gameplay task. The opening does a great job at being an action-packed pulse pounding segment, but at the same time, it takes a while to get used to just to play, much less combat. As far as combat goes, I like how flexible and diverse it is, but it too suffers from fluff with the Benchmark system. Benchmarks are utterly pointless as their rewards feel like NOTHING for doing tasks SO MANY TIMES for miniscule XP. And all of these frustrations are amplified because the main narrative is great! I really believe there is a fantastic 15 hour game buried in a good 40-50 hour game.

The last criticism I have is the game is just not stable. To date, it's crashed on me seven times (and again, I only have a little of the main game left and I'll do the three DLC packs), and all too often defeated enemies have some extremely bizarre and glitchy ragdoll physics that just take me out of it.

I'm mixed on it. Objectively, it's very solid, and I get why many love it. I do. But for me and my tastes, it just isn't as wowing as I was hoping. If I had finished it in time, I would've slotted it between Into the Nexus and Quest for Booty (more on those in a bit), marking this as 13th of 21 Insomniac games. But still, I've made a commitment. I'll finish it out, play the DLC, play Miles Morales (which with my experience Spider-man, I'm not expecting anything better), and will probably get Spider-man 2 to support Insomniac more than anything else. But honestly, after playing this solid game, I didn't really feel like I was ever having fun.

And with that, my list of every Insomniac game I've played, with comments on the games that didn't make the countdown:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
    Ratchet & Clank (2016)
    Spyro: The Dragon
    Ratchet & Clank (2002)
    Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
    Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage
    Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    Spider-man
    Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    Resistance 2
    Ratchet: Deadlocked
    Resistance 3
    Sunset Overdrive
    Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
    Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
    Fuse

Fuse hurts. I was so into Overstrike but with EA being EA, this has got to be one of the biggest disappointments I've ever played. Uninspiring gameplay, bland environments, boring level design, and absolutely AWFUL characters, I STILL can't believe this is an Insomniac game for how bad it is.

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault was the second straight disappointment for me from an Insomniac developed R&C (Since Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank weren't from Insomniac, this and the next game I'll get to were shocks). This game has eight minutes of cumulative story. EIGHT. MINUTES. And like Sunset Overdrive, you can't start a new game; just replay four planets (one which having two variants). Being a tower defense game as opposed to traditional exploring, combat, and story, this game is the one Insomniac developed Ratchet & Clank I REFUSE to replay when I do my series runthroughs. This game is lifeless and a complete waste of time.

Ratchet & Clank: ALL 4 One is a perfect example of a game that was chasing the trends of the time of every game needing four player co-op. And because of that, the fundamental game and level design is terrible with these flying checkpoint robot things constantly breaking up the pace, plus most enemies have bland attacks and for the very few moments the story may have, it's mostly a completely forgettable time. The early 2010s were just a bad time for Ratchet & Clank.

Ratchet: Deadlocked is... ok, but I recognize it's got issues. Taking Clank away from gameplay and replacing him with two uninteresting floating robot companions is an odd choice. The premise is interesting of Ratchet being captured to forced to being a gladiator of sorts for the sake of marketing (and the commentary team being fully biased in trying to make Ratchet being a monster), but the mission structure isn't that fun with half being vehicle based (and some of those being auto-levels at that). I can still find some enjoyment in it, but it's not worth it unless you're a die-hard fan of the franchise.

Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty is awesome for dealing with the Robot Pirates, which are an underrated group. That said, I think I should leave what I said in our 2008 Thread:

However, it's brevity is probably its biggest flaw: You can 100% this game in about three hours, you're only given a handful of weapons with practically pointless upgrading (each given to you is at Level 3, only able to go to Level 5), and though it serves as a nice connecter between Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, it feels like that could've either been much more to do OR be tacked on to the beginning of A Crack in Time.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus gets a bad rap. I consistently hear it's not a good game, and being the direct follow up to All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, I can understand being lumped together with those, but because it's a return to form, not a big time commitment, and has interesting levels and concept, I'll still argue it's a fun game and well worth playing. So much so, it's currently my 90th favorite game of all time.

And with that, I've come to the end, so I just want to laud @bruno_saurus for this idea. I'm not sure I can be as into many other developers' catalog as I am for Insomniac's, but this was an absolutely fantastic time and I'm greatly looking forward to the next one. Many thanks and much appreciation for this!

• Spiderman is my number 2 pick but I don't love it. It has in common with Sunset Overdrive having some of the best traversal on a video game but gameplay as a whole becomes stagnant pretty quickly. But going around New York never gets old, it's superb.

I'm also not a superhero dude and this is a by the book Spiderman plot that could be AI generated and no one would notice. You know everything in advance as soon as you meet a character.

The last third of the game was also quite glitchy and buggy, I don't know if it was fixed meanwhile. I remember Highlight Reel (YouTube channel for broken games) being mostly Spiderman clips for a month or more.

But for a Spiderman fan I can see how this is a dream game, and when everything goes as expected it's a technical marvel.

• @brannox Who is speaking bad about Nexus? I think most people just didn't play it because it's such a late PS3 game. I never heard much criticism.

• @neocweeny Other groups of people I'm a fan of (Kinda Funny for example) always say it's bad, but to your point (and especially reviews for it), the few people (proportionally speaking) who are fans and really remember it know how solid of a game it is. Short, sure, but consistent quality makes up for it.

• @neocweeny I don't think late PS3 games garnered that much attention. Besides The Last of Us, many PS3-only games in mid-late 2013 and 2014 were overshadowed by the arrival of PS4/Xbox One. You wonder why Puppeteer was so overlooked.

• kinda late i know but anyway my full list.

1- Ratchet and clank 2
    2-Ratchet and clank 3
    3-Spiderman
    4-Ratchet and clank: crack in time
    5-Ratchet and clank: rift apart
    6- Resistance 2
    HM: Resistance fall of man, RC tools of destruction

(sorry i own the remasters but haven't played spyro)

happy too see ratchet 2 place above 3 and crack in time since i get the vibe people seem to like those 2 more, totally get why rift apart took the 2nd place, similar too how it won kinda funny's game of the year it's a game thats good at everything, but as we see was no-ones #1, basically for me i like the story but it's not as good as ACIT, i like the combat and weapons but not as much as 3 and i think it is lacking in side/post game stuff even the arena felt quite limited. it was a toss up between ACIT and rift apart for me but yeah music dope though compared to the ps3 series.

Ratchet and clank 2
    so it's my champion i guess i should praise it, the reason why i love this game over the others comes down too 2 things.

1.Humour- don't get me wrong dr nefarious is great, but i love the smartass and snarky consumerism humour it's just a different vibe too 3 that i find more enjoyable even as a kid.

1. variety- this games has the most weapons the most varied levels and gameplay gimmicks that i just love, not all of them are perfect and while i love 3's combat additions this game kinda just throws all the ideas in and i just really like how it all works, and in particular is great fun too 100% (see below.)

Youtube Video

Ratchet and clank 3
    simply best combat and wepons in the series, levels look like piss, bill clinton has a sexy daughter oh and sexy evil robot pop star. qwark stay away from the monkey. LAWRENCE!!!

Spiderman
    so i love spiderman but... i don't love openworld games hence #3, basically what this game does excellently and has been a staple of insomniac in general is the movement and animation, that quality and fun movment makes spiderman so enjoyable even if the side stuff itself is kinda bland. i've slowly realised i actually prefer emptier open world games i don't like running into 20 question marks on the way somewhere. too keep me engaged openworld game need to have good storys and/or great movment or just be an RPG. spider man does those first two very well.

resistance series

remember loving these games and have tried to replay them but UGH launch ps3 games hold up alot worse than PS2 games... sooo brown... but i remember liking 2 the most and kinda just loved the whole world and setting from 1 onwards would love even a half decent remaster of the series.

Rest of the ratchets

a crack in time still has the best story over Rift apart IMHO, but i never liked the whole fly around plannet thing and in general i'm not a fan of the level design visually, i really don't remember any level from that game and i replayed it before rift apart,

Tools of Destruction i think the visuals of this game work alot better than ACIT and when i replayed it they ended up alot closer together in terms of quality, i like the levels alot more and some of the weapons are just so cool (grooveatron), i never loved the weird rpg dialogue boxes they always felt out of place.

but the story is just so ehh in this and compared to ACIT this plays alot slower. also the music outside of the pirate of the Caribbean theme was always lacklustre compared to previous games which was a nice bonus rift apart got right some great music in that.

deadlcoked is fun it's just the gladiator minigames turned into a full game and very fun weapons.
    don't sleep on into the nexus its at the same quality as the other future games but just half the size and is a nice send of too the series for a while.

all in all ratchet is in my top 3 series, i think all the core games are at least good and most are great, going commando is in my all time top 10, though now days i have things like dark souls and god of war 2and 2018 above it but it's still up there. easily beats the Jak series in my eyes, though JAK 3 is the best one play it, that's probably on Ratchet 3 level for me. seriously i feel like people just skipped it for some reason... and when they go back they just play 1 and maybe 2.

• I was on vacation so I missed the finale here. Spider-Man is a no brainer but I anticipate that almost every Insomniac game going forward will have that kind of budget and scope. I feel like the best is yet to come.

This was fun but also a nice walk down memory lane with such a long-running developer. Clearly, I'm not the only one that adores the PS1 Spyro series and it's clear it's some of their best work. I know R&C has a ton of Spyro DNA with the gliding, but the powerup abilities, whimsy, music, and overall tone of Spyro is dearly missed in my eyes.

It was also nice to see the Resistance series get it's flowers, pretty high up the list.

My Insomniac Game Rankings

1. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
    2. Spyro: The Year of the Dragon
    3. Resistance: Fall of Man
    4. Resistance 3
    5. Resistance 2
    6. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

HM 1 - Marvel's Spider-Man
    HM 2 - ​Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Thanks @bruno_saurus