The EZA Community Top Insomniac Games!

• The original Ratchet & Clank was a game I only had the opportunity of playing through a demo, though I think I may have played a smidge on the PS3 courtesy of the HD Trilogy. I think it's a good solid game that birthed a beloved franchise and that's all I can say about it.

As for Resistance 2, it was certainly a better game to play than Fall of Man and thankfully those hedgehog grenades were a thing of the past. I don't think Resistance 2's brownish colour scheme was alluring, but it certainly felt like a solid FPS with new ideas and less bullet sponging than its predecessor. Still I think Resistance 3 is absolutely the best game of the trilogy by a country mile, but Resistance 2 did a good job nonetheless.

• #13: Ratchet & Clank (2016) | 10 Points
    0_1661266234991_ratchet-clank-2016.png

Votes
    #1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (phbz, Brannox)
    #5: 0
    #6: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    HM: 0

Information
    Release date: NA: April 12th, 2016 | PAL: April 20th, 2016 | UK: April 22nd, 2016
    Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
    Genre: Platformer Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia

• #13: Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction | 10 Points
    0_1661266541202_ratchet-clank-tools-destruction.png

Votes
    #1: 1 (Brannox)
    #4: 0
    #6: 0
    HM: 3 (DIPSET, Nimbat1003, Sentinel Beach)

Information
    Release date: NA: October 23rd, 2007 | EU: November 9th, 2007 | AU: November 15th, 2007
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platformer Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Tools of Destruction was an excellent first jump into the HD era for me. I bought a new TV and a PS3 bundle with ToD & the first Uncharted. What a package! What a change after the PS2 games I'd been playing. For that reason alone ToD has a special place in my gaming history.

• I think both the remake and Tools of Destruction we're disappointments. ToD is still a great game but I expected more. The remake I didn't like at all, the original is way better imo.

• Another two R&Cs I'm massively high on.

Pertaining to R&C 2016, for awhile it was my favorite of the franchise. I feel the animations, effects, and graphics are absolutely stellar, making it the most gorgeous entry until Rift Apart. Also, the weapon roster is like a "Greatest Hits" from across the series, and does a wonderful job of making beloved classics like Mr. Zurkon, the Groovitron, and Buzz Blades continue to feel fun while introducing fun weapons like the Proton Drum and one of my all-time favorites: the Pixelizer, a shotgun that makes your enemies 8-bit you can whack into tiny pieces. In addition, I like the spin of the story of the original (despite me liking the original's story better), with Captain Qwark being a hilarious narrator of your exploits. I feel like the worlds remixed from the first game hold up well, and while some are quite faithful (Aridia, Rilgar, and Gadgetron HQ for examples), certain choices like taking Batalia from night to day and leaving out some of my favorites from the original such as Eudora and Hoven feels weird.

I do have some "major" criticisms, like the ship sections, making Chairmen Drek be a complete farce in contrast to his original interpretation, and the noticeable cuts from in-engine assets to the snippets pulled from the movie, but that in no way does that bring any of my playthroughs down. I also appreciate the upgrade systems here, from utilizing Raritanium to give the weapons extra effects to a card system where you can gain passive boosts like increased XP and Melee Damage. You even need to find special cards to build this version of the RYNO, which is MUCH easier that building up the bolts to buy it in the first R&C. Overall, I LOVE this game and I would classify is in my series rankings as "Phenomenal," my third favorite of the franchise, as you can see above 4th of the 20 Insomniac games I've played, and it current resides as my 19th favorite game of all time. Yep. Top 20. And that said, my thanks to @Phbz, and @Shoulderguy for liking it enough to get it on the list.

And as I said above it WAS my favorite of the franchise, until my most recent series replay leading up to Rift Apart. That honor now resides with Tools of Destruction. Now, I went back to our previous countdowns, and I was surprised I didn't say much regarding 2016, but I sure did regarding Tools of Destruction, so I'm going to pull from portions of what I said in that countdown:

"...This was the first game I ever got for the PS3, as I first got the console when I graduated high school (so the PS3 was already on the market for a few years). I just remember after the opening scene and you can first control Ratchet, I didn't, because I stared slackjawed at the screen because the game looks so pretty, and it graphically holds up TODAY, (15) YEARS after it came out..."

"This game was the first to posit where Ratchet came from and the greater mystery of what happened to the Lombax race (granted, everyone seems to forget about Angela, who is a Lombax from Going Commando, and both she and the Bogon galaxy are never outwardly referenced since. It's weird). This is also the game where you're first introduced to the subplot of the robot pirates, and they're a delight to interact with, from ambushing you when flying to a new planet, going through their HQ on Ardolis, fighting past their entrenched defenses on the Kreeli Comet which houses the galaxy's supercomputer, and assaulting their fleet right before the climax against Cragmite Emperor Percival Tachyon..."

"...Jasindu, home of the small Kerchu, where the small species builds MASSIVE machinery and kills trespassers on site and culminates fighting a HUGE mech where halfway through you're flipped upside down and you have to ride a grindrail just to get to the fight. Zordoom Prison is a classic prison break, as you have to go rescue an ally named Talwyn who you meet after a couple of locations and it's so combat heavy and crazy. The aforementioned Ardolis where you have to infiltrate the Pirate's HQ and you can come back once you get a holo-disguise and loot their treasure with a dance mini-game. Fastoon, home of the Lombaxes of old where when you first show up, it's pretty deserted and you can find your knight-rider-esque ship, the Aphelion, and when you come back for the climax, Tachyon has control of it and the game's McGuffin, the Dimensionator, to rule the galaxy. And by FAR (for me) the most fun and creative place, Planet Mukow which houses the IFF: The Imperial Fight Festival, which is part obstacle course of death modeled after a state fair including a challenging platforming section in the form of a Ferris Wheel and part coliseum, which almost all R&C games have to fight rounds and bosses with special modifiers and challenges."

"As most of the places are memorable, so too are the weaponry. Like I said above, Tools of Destruction introduced a lot, and this is the first time fan favorites, the Groovitron and Mr. Zurkon appear. But there are other unique games as well like the Mag-Net Launcher, the Sixaxis needed Tornado Launcher, the Razor Claws to give melee a major edge (sorry), and this entry's RYNO, the RYNO IV, is super powerful, and to get it, you have to find RYNO plans across the galaxy and bring them to the Smuggler, who ALSO makes his first appearance as well."

(And now back to original comment)

Tools of Destruction just has so much charm, from start to end and is absolutely DELIGHTFUL. It's my favorite Ratchet & Clank, my favorite game Insomniac has made, and is my 9th favorite game of all time. I LOVE this game to pieces so to say I'm super happy to see @DIPSET, @Nimbat1003, and @Sentinel-Beach to give it an Honorable Mention is a massive understatement.

While no of them are in the top 10, I'm very happy to see several games I love make it. Ya know @bruno_saurus, I thinks you're onto something with these Gameography lists.

• Ratchet & Clank (2016) was my first time playing a Ratchet & Clank game, and Insomniac absolutely delivered with the gameplay. It has great platforming, clever puzzles, and weapons that are repeatedly fun to use and experiment with. Unfortunately, I didn't find the story and characters very interesting or memorable. That did bring the game down for me, and that's the reason why it only ranks #16 of 38 on my best games of 2016 list.

• Tools of Destruction was great but I can't remember much from it and I think I got stuck somewhere. Can't forget a villain like Percival Tachyon though, so kudos there at least.

The 2016 Ratchet and Clank is a good effort that I felt only existed because that dreadful Ratchet & Clank film came out in the same year. Still a good game like the others but quite forgettable considering the quality inherent through the entire series.

• The biggest sin of the 2016 remake is that the story and presentation felt so flat and soulless. The game looks pretty, and it's plays quite well, but I can't forgive how badly they botched the story stuff. It's why I left it out of my votes.

I haven't got around to any of the PS3 R&C games other than the OG HD remasters.

• I didn't finish ToD but I remember seeing it for the first time at my friend's house on a HD tv. It was beatiful to look at. I remember how impressed I was. Especially that railing platform parts in a futuristic city with all flying cars etc.

• @brannox What's wrong with Ratchet's attitude in the original game?

• #12: Sunset Overdrive | 11 Points

0_1661355301890_sunset-overdrive.png

Votes
    #1: 1 (Phbz)
    #5: 1 (Shoulderguy)
    HM: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)

Information
    Release date: NA: October 28th, 2014 | AU: October 30th, 2014 | EU: October 31st, 2014 | PC: November 16th, 2018
    Publisher: Microsoft Studios
    Genre: Action-Adventure
    Platform(s): Xbox One, PC

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I had a feeling Sunset Overdrive was coming up and therefore I want to express how I feel about this one. Sunset Overdrive makes an astonishingly glossy impression with its rail-grinding combat, it's array of bright colours, it's devil-may-care attitude and the copious amount of ways it flaunts its sense of style and coolness in front of you like a fat truck driver who tries to impress women on a Californian beach with a truffle shuffle. Sunset Overdrive is thus loaded with many outwardly cool and high-energy riff raff. However, much like a 7 year-old after a can of Monster Energy drink-you kinda want it to stop and go away after a while.

Sunset Overdrive tries so hard to be cool and funny that it does the exact opposite. This might have something to do with the infectious energy drink that gunks up this hipster wonderland, and we know how an energy drink makes you hypo-I guess that might be the entire point; but if you're going to be funny, take a step back and don't make it feel so arrogantly forced. Sunset Overdrive has cool gameplay, awesome ideas and despite how it fails like a school teacher at a comedy gig, it at least has the energy that was needed, to counteract all the samey grey and brown shooters, as well as the dearth of inspiration that makes many games seem dreary and solely focus tested by a boardroom of executives.

I don't know whether Sunset Overdrive is a game or an advertisement at times. I mean it reeks of the cool stuff many of us want from games, but it's done so in a way that feels fake and forced, that it exposes its cracks through its try-hard sensibilities. Saints Row 2 didn't need showboat in front of you to be cool, it simply allowed you to hop into a septic truck to spray shit at suburban houses.

Anyway the last point I want to make here is I voted for it because my experience with other Insomniac games were lacking and despite the criticisms I can appreciate the fact Insomniac made a game that went overboard-at least it's memorable and it sticks with you.

• I grabbed Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox One after I had recently bought the system and I wasn't disappointed. It’s just a joy to play with it's colorful style, variety of weapons and the smooth movement system. It also has a good self aware, over-the-top story that knows how dumb everything is and makes the most of it. Looking back at my 2014 GOTY list, Sunset Overdrive ranks #13 of 38.

• Eventually I will play Sunset Overdrive. I recall it being one of the last games I attempted to play before selling off my Xbox One back in 2015 or something, but I did want to try it enough again after only an hour or two playing it before. So it's back on my backlog!

• @jdincinerator He's a massive jerk towards Clank and their dichotomy feels bizarre. Sure, Clank is naïve, but they way he was written and acted is just a major turnoff. He eventually apologizes, but for a majority of the game, he's an unlikable protagonist.

• Ah, Sunset Overdrive. I remember being so hyped for it because it was an Insomniac game that was an Xbox One exclusive and after the failure of Fuse and EA not being a part of it, I couldn't wait.

When I got my Xbox One for Christmas 2014, this was one of three games I grabbed (Well, Halo: The Master Chief Collection was pre-installed, and I made a mistake in also getting Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare). I fired it up and for a while, I was having a good time. The need to be in constant motion throughout the world, the art style, and of course, the incredible weaponry was super fun to use.

However, over time, the gameplay started to feel repetitive, the humor started to get grating, the charm quickly eroded. Fizzie has his moments, but eventually, the joke of his fourth-wall breaking vulgarity being ramped up the longer the game went just had me wanting him to just shut up.

And then, I discovered Sunset suffers the same personal cardinal sin that Crackdown does: I couldn't start a new game if I wanted. You can replay missions, but to start a new game requires/ed a new profile. And that had me shelve the game as a disappointment that I haven't touched in seven years.

Overall, I have it at 17th out of 20 from the Insomniac games I've played and is currently only one of four Insomniac games I ultimately do not like and have no desire to ever play again.

• I didn't like Sunset Overdrive so much. I think it's repetitive and I don't really like the tone and style.

• Sunset Overdrive is my number one pick but as I've said before that isn't saying much because I'm not the biggest Insomniac fan. But it is the one with the most satisfying gameplay imo.

• #11: Resistance: Fall of Man | 13 Points

0_1661436691387_resistance-fall-man.png

Votes
    #1: 0
    #2: 1 (Brannox)
    #3: 1 (DIPSET)
    HM: 1 (Shoulderguy)

Information
    Release date: NA: November 17th, 2006 | JP: December 17th, 2006 | PAL: March 23rd, 2007
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: First-Person Shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia