The EZA Community Top Insomniac Games!

• I didn't like Sunset Overdrive so much. I think it's repetitive and I don't really like the tone and style.

• Sunset Overdrive is my number one pick but as I've said before that isn't saying much because I'm not the biggest Insomniac fan. But it is the one with the most satisfying gameplay imo.

• #11: Resistance: Fall of Man | 13 Points

0_1661436691387_resistance-fall-man.png

Votes
    #1: 0
    #2: 1 (Brannox)
    #3: 1 (DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    #5: 0
    #6: 0
    HM: 1 (Shoulderguy)

Information
    Release date: NA: November 17th, 2006 | JP: December 17th, 2006 | PAL: March 23rd, 2007
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: First-Person Shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia

• While I didn't vote for it, I really do love the lore that Resistance: Fall of Man sets up. I do love all the weapons like the Auger that are more Chimeran technology. Might be filled with greys and browns, but I still love the Chimeran infiltrations! All grand to explore!

• While Resistance didn't live up to its hype as the killer app for the PS3, it was still an enjoyable shooter just nothing remarkable. Honestly I can't remember too much about it all these years later.

• Fall of Man was ok, but mainly it was the setting, the excitement surrounding a new IP and its status as a PS3 launch title that made it worth perking up the ears for. Unfortunately, the bullet-sponge chimeras and those insta-death hedgehog bombs proved to make Fall of Man an unnecessary nuisance. Most of the ingredients in Fall of Man could've made for an instant classic, but we'd have to wait until the third game to come around before Resistance truly fulfilled its potential.

• Catch up post...

R&C Tools of Destruction

I genuinely feel as though Tools of Destruction is one of the best PS3 games. I rated it above many other R&C games because I feel like the full potential of the series was sort of mastered and finessed with Tools of Destruction.

I went back and watched the IGN review of this from 2007 and as a criticism, they said this game has too many ideas and could've cut down more. I COMPLETELY disagree. The reason this game works is because it has so many gameplay moments between the rail combat or some of the minor mini-games.

The nuts and bolts exploding everywhere and pre-rendered cutscenes were unbelievable by 2007 standards. Words cannot describe how mind blowing I found this game in 2007. Crazy that it almost looks old by today's standards. We're spoiled.

--

Sunset Overdrive

I don't have too much to say about this one cause I never owned an Xbox One. I played it around launch and I found it pretty amusing but the tone was strange.

In terms of gameplay, it was fine. I felt like it had potential for a big sequel. It could've used something to tie the grinding, jumping, and shooting together better. I had potential to be Tony Hawk with guns but it didn't flow nearly as well as Tony Hawk. Most of the time was spent higher up grinding because it was easiest.

I feel like Insomniac kinda struggles with outright comedic writing and it can sort of slam you in the face. The R&C remake featured earlier on this list has the same issue imo.

--

Resistance Fall of Man

I absolutely love this game. I've said this before, but we were in a bit of a post-HL2 lala land for a while where FPS games were throwing everything at the wall to see if something sticks. The premise of WWII meets sci-fi future made for amazing enemies and amazing weapons. Random screenshot pulled from a fan-wiki, but these enemy designs are legitimately creepy and I feel like the Chimera don't get enough credit for being spooky fun enemies to fight.

0_1661444108286_ffce8565-833b-4475-8c25-0ee0627e8d0d-image.png

Some of these levels are really really good. One that comes to mind is fighting up on these spires with giant stalker enemies below. The AI was not only smart for 2006 but they are still fun to fight by today's standards. These guys are tough.

My favourite part of the game is split-screen co-op. The hard difficulty and spongey enemies goes out the window playing with a buddy. R:FoM holds up as one of the best split-screen games of the generation along with Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, Halo: Reach, and RE5.

Highly recommend playing couch co-op this Halloween season.

• One of my friends purchased a PS3 at launch and playing Resistance: Fall of Man on his HDTV was an unforgettable experience. It was a visually impressive game at the time with a compelling alternate history sci-fi horror setting.

Looking back on the game, I don't remember it doing anything that special gameplay wise. Though to be fair, I only played through the single player campaign and I haven't touched the game since it first released. Resistance: Fall of Man ranks #13 of 24 on my 2006 GOTY list.

• I forgot to mention but R:FoM launched with 40 player arena based PvP MP. The maps were mostly ripped from the single player with slight modifications but it was a really good time. The insane amount of weapons made for some awesome pickups.

Many people didn't play MP on PS2 so jumping right into PS3 with a 20 v 20 MP mode was pretty cool and a bit ahead of the times.

In terms of potential, Insomniac could've done a lot with MP in the Resistance series. With better map design and more strategic flow of weapon placement, TTK, and other finesse, the series had potential to be up there with Halo. It has all of the tools between Aliens vs Humans, huge weapon variety, different grenade types, gravity lifts and other sci-fi stuff, vehicles. If they ever reboot the series, it should really lean into its MP potential.

• I really want to see something like Resistan: Retribution again. But for PS5 itself with AAA budget.

• Fantastic! Very, VERY happy to see the first Resistance make it. I remember being so taken with the picture you see above, having one of the most bizarre and captivating skull designs in an old war-stylized landscape. And the concept of a world where WWII never happened, replaced instead of an alien invasion and the lore of it is FASCINATING: An alien strain inside a meteorite that crashes in Russia, slowly spreads and takes over, causing countries and continents to go dark. Long dormant tech from ages long past is dug back up and brought online, taking over the world from the inside out...

At the time, the fusion of 50's era weaponry and setting with alien tech was incredibly unique and to this day, is a concept that holds up well. I remember being propelled by the opening, as you jump from a VTOL and run right into a Chimera Hybrid squad and by this point, Asia had already fallen and England was the last bastion of the already conquered Europe.

As I mentioned in the Resistance 2 post, the narration style of Captain Rachel Parker, detailing the last three days Nathan Hale was officially seen alive (ya know, the not redacted kind) instantly had me wanting to see his story through. Granted, Nathan being a mute protagonist in this game is weird when I feel he was cast well in the sequel, but it still having Parker and Lieutenant Stephen Cartwright in Nathan's ear during gameplay at the beginning of levels or critical plot points gave you the sense of the mission, making you believe Nathan's the only one who can combat the Chimera menace. And I forgot to say it in the Resistance 2 post but: Henry Stillman's broadcasts as you progress, as he slips closer and closer to madness is a DAMN fine replacement, and it's a totally optional world builder. Always chills me to hear him losing hope.

The Chimera themselves were all memorable as they were introduced. The aforementioned Hybirds, the terrifying crawling Leapers, the towering Titans, the annoying and long limbed Grey Jacks, and the quadrupedal Howlers all had their own unique way to be taken down, but nothing tops the major bosses: The Stalker tank, The spider-esque Widowmaker and the flying Angel. Gruesome in design and tough as hell to kill, they intimidate me to this day and I dread taking them on whenever I do a series replay.

The weaponry also left an imprint, as is a common theme from Insomniac. The Bullseye's alternate fire of tagging enemies and shooting around corners/obstacles felt really good to use. The Auger, with its ability to see through walls, felt OP as can be, with the trade off of ammo being incredibly rare. The Hailstorm spitting out so many bullets with an alternate fire of firing a hovering drone of shooting constant bullets make you feel like a powerhouse. But something that's absolutely awesome is the New Game Plus exclusive weapons: The Reaper Carbine, one of the few you could actually dual wield, is an SMG that on a first playthrough, is only used by the Longlegs that jump around in the tunnels. But in the first level of New Game Plus, it's on the ground in a doorway of the main path and the auto-targeting allows you to pinpoint 2nd only to the Fareye Sniper Rifle, but with more ammo and higher fire rate. You even get a Flamethrower, the L11-2 Dragon, with handles leaper pods, Menials, and a great CQC/Crowd Control options if you don't have grenades. And the grenades! I read above dislike of the Hedgehogs, but those are (to me) awesome, because it's a two way street, ripping EVERYTHING to shreds, you AND Chimera, requiring patience, wits, and skills. And the Air Fuels are also neat because they stick to surfaces and you hear a brief "Wheeeeeee" before the air ignites and everything close catches fire.

Resistance: Fall of Man was one of the first "horror" games I played, as you're alone quite a bit throughout the game, in a derelict factory, cavern system, and Chimera buildings as the Chimera step out from behind pillars or jump at you through windows and container tanks. Many times I had the shit scared out of me, terrified of going forward into the darkness. This doesn't mean it's the same gameplay all the time, as there's a level dedicated to driving a jeep around to assault pop-up outposts, and even piloting a tank through the streets just wrecking shop on all the Chimera forces. And something else that's really neat: About three times (though there could be more, but I can't remember more than that), you'll come across three bodies throughout the story, but their different: garbed in black with radios playing military callsign and jargon, which you'll soon realize the group is American. In England. Watching and documenting YOU. And they have a star on their helmet with four letters: S-R-P-A. And when you see the post-credits scene, it all makes sense, with a perfect transition to the seqeul.

All of this combines together to create one of my favorite games of all time. So much so it's 12th of my top 100. As also shown above, the 2nd overall game on my Insomniac list. Which of course means it's my favorite of the franchise. More massive shout-outs to @DIPSET and @Shoulderguy for their votes, especially considering I didn't think it would make the list. Again: I'm VERY pleased.

• @brannox

Couldn't have said it better myself. R: FoM gets so much right out of the gate. It's a shame the series never really fully hit it's stride.

It's ripe for a reboot with a more thorough vision that is trying to be it's own thing as opposed to a COD or a DOOM3.

• #10: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time | 15 Points

0_1661527924434_ratchet-clank-crack-time.png

Votes
    #1: 1 (bruno_saurus)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    #5: 0
    HM: 4 (JDINCINERATOR, Brannox, NeoCweeny, Sentinel Beach)

Information
    Release date: NA: October 27th, 2009 | AU: November 5th, 2009 | EU: November 6th, 2009
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platformer Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3

Links
    Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time is one of my favorite games. This was one of the first games that got me back into being a dedicated Playstation owner again after a brief stint with the 360.

Memories aside, this game is gorgeous. I do love how this game closes out the Future saga narrative wise. All three games definitely build upon one another and A Crack in Time nails the ending in my mind.

Gameplay wise, I do highly enjoy the side small planets you get to explore if you want to step away from the story a bit! They each offer fun challenges and views of space. Clank gameplay wise offers fun time based puzzles, which can get confusing sure, but I don't find them annoyingly confusing. And at least Clank is a novice in all of this time-shifting just like you.

Weapon wise, there might not be as many new weapons as Tools of Destruction, but a new weapon I love in this game is the Sonic Eruptor! A machine attached to a frog-like created. You fire it with sonic waves from the frog itself. But, you can make more powerful sonic waves by waiting until the frog's cheeks are larger, which I love that concept a lot!

This is overall, definitely up there with Rift Apart as my favorite Ratchet & Clank game, I feel like either could be switched as time goes on, but right now, A Crack in Time is up there for me.

• A Crack In Time was awesome and pretty much the last R&C game I liked since it went a bit bananas with All 4 One and the remake.

I feel like most of the popularity for A Crack In Time > Tools of Destruction came from the PS3 install base being a lot bigger than it was back in 2007. I think a lot of people jumped on PS3 late when 360 sort of stopped making games and ACIT released right around then.

• I appreciate games that have double-entendres like A Crack in Time and it is one of the best Ratchet & Clank games to boot. I can still recall the "need more Zoni" request that has stuck with me all these years because of how it sounds. I do wish that I had completed A Crack in Time but from what I played it was a fantastic R&C offering.

• @dipset I concur, though Insomniac has said they have no interest in making another, and it's not surprising (even though it's a massive bummer). I mean Sucker Punch said the same thing about Sly and Infamous and it makes me sad great PS2 and PS3 franchises are tossed aside as relics, despite their high quality.

• Another fantastic Ratchet & Clank game, as it's my 5th favorite in the series (I'd say it's in my "Great" tier), and it's number 7 of my 20 Insomniac games list. Currently, it resides at my 48th favorite game of all time.

Much like I did for the Tools of Destruction entry, I'm going to pull from a previous comment in our Countdown threads, but since this was in a bullet point fashion, I'm going to expound upon each topic:

"While I get why many consider this their favorite of the franchise, I prefer others more (The reboot, Tools of Destruction, and the original), but that doesn't mean I'm not very high on it... The franchise may have had quite a few games before this, but the PS3 is where (the franchise) really hit its stride. There's so much about this game I love:"

• The juggling of multiple antagonists between Vorselon, Nefarious, and eventually Azimuth."

So what I meant here is, while I appreciated the fact Dr. Nefarious is the big bad, I liked the change ups with Vorselon and Azimuth, the former not being around as much as I would've liked (though I appreciated he serves as post-game), and the latter providing an excellent compelling foil to Ratchet. The climax in the Great Clock is fantastic because of his history with Ratchet's father and his one-track minded endeavor to restore the Lombaxes to the galaxy/universe AND the fact he's not an enemy for much of the game. Sure, he attacks you the very first time you encounter him, but only until you free him from Vorselon does he become antagonistic.

• "While I enjoy the dynamic between the titular two the best when they're together, this proved each can have unique and engaging gameplay and scenarios independent of one another."

I believe the time focused puzzles with Clank change up the pace quite well, and Sigmund is a likeable character (Shout out to Nolan North. Blew my mind when I found out he voices him). Ratchet's segments have a good bit of variety, but personally speaking, I feel there are a couple of, not necessarily boring, but not as fun, like Krell Canyon. In addition, the planets and locales in ToD are better to me both in terms of art and level design, and for a majority of the journey, I miss Clank for being so used to him as Ratchet's backpack.

• "The exploration of each system, flying to planets to find puzzling platform sections for Gold Bolts, Zoni, and side quests from NPCs, is freeing. There are so many planets across the franchise I really enjoy, but it's nice not having a linear path to explore every now and then."

I still standby the fact the smaller planets within systems are a nice break, though most do feel a little too simple (Except the post game-system. Those three or four are TOUGH). However, just the simple act of flying a space ship, and the agency of choosing to carry on with the main story or go goof off in optional areas is well done.

• "The story is really solid, seeing Clank come into his own, how his origins was more than coming off the assembly line in the first game, and the heartbreaking fate of Orvus. Plus, again, Nefarious."

This is where I feel A Crack in Time is at its strongest: When you're with Clank. However, you spend more time as Ratchet (understandably) so I wish I had equal feelings on the story moments, but Clank's segments are just, to me, better. But don't get me wrong: As I just said above - When you're Ratchet and coordinating with Azimuth, it's compelling, always driving you forward as you carry on Ratchet's quest to find Clank while juggling his longing to reunite with his race.

• "Sadly, this would also be the last really good/great game of the series for awhile with the weird experiments that were All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. Thankfully Into the Nexus and the Reboot proved the formula is still fantastic."

I also stand by this as well, and while I don't foresee the games above will make the countdown (Sans the Reboot as it's already here), I'll talk about them once the countdown is over.

Overall, A Crack in Time is amazing and yet another game I highly recommend to people (though because of story reasons, I would recommend playing a couple others first). Shoutouts to @JDINCINERATOR, @NeoCweeny, @Sentinel-Beach, @Nimbat1003, and @bruno_saurus!

• A Crack in Time is a fantastic game. I will always have more fondness for the original PS2 trilogy but I can't deny that a Crack in Time is one of the best in the series gameplay wise.

• #9: Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage | 16 Points

0_1661613702222_spyro2-riptos-rage.png

Votes
    #1: 1 (DIPSET)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #4: 0
    #5: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    HM: 1 (Shoulderguy)

Information
    Release date: NA: November 2nd, 1999 | EU: November 5th, 1999