Information

Release Date:NA: August 26th 2002, EU: October 4th 2002
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platform, action-adventure

Links

Trailer-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvnhNPUrl0&ab_channel=WaffleRobot
    Wikipedia-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Sunshine

• Sunshine is interesting and has a lot of potential but I think it has a lot of problems. I think my biggest issue is that the objectives and levels just arent all that interesting. That arent that many levels and half of the objectives are the same on every level. Like catch shadow Mario, find 8 red coins, find another 8 red coins, find a secret area, find another secret area, collect 8 red coins in those secret areas,...

I do love the visuals, music and atmosphere though.

• Despite the fact I gave it a vote, I really don't like Sunshine, and I've given it two tries; once when I had a Gamecube, and earlier this year on Switch as part of the 3D All Stars Collection. And at 29 Shine Sprites, I hard quit because I just never had fun. I REALLY tried, as in my situation, I always want to finish a game I buy because I'm incredibly choosy with how to spend my limited dispensable income. It's 4th of the four games I've played on the console and the fact I revisited it so many years later and realized, "Yep, this game isn't for me," goes to show my instincts from 15 years ago was still right.

• 0_1663933698313_7fd52b40-bc64-45d3-9bc4-4dbb9af3ae13-image.png
    #3. Resident Evil-13 points

Votes
    1:1 (Sheria)
    2:2 (bruno_saurus, NeoCweeny)
    3:0
    4:0
    HM:0

Information

Release Date: NA: April 30th 2002, EU: September 13th 2002
    Developer: Capcom Production Studio 4
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Survival horror

Links

Trailer-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFhQrp5Bhhk&ab_channel=ErmacReptile
    Wikipedia-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(2002_video_game)

• Despite not voting for it, I did rent this out from Blockbuster back in the day. I see how good it is and I think it does deserve 3rd place very much so. I always relished it when Nintendo got these exclusive Resident Evil games, made Nintendo have this dark side to them which you didn't get to see often-and it was refreshing.

• After Huber's enthusiasm for the franchise made me a casual fan, I've gone back and rewatched full playthroughs of all the mainline ones, and this is towards the bottom for me. From the way it looks, the extremely limited inventory, the writing, some of the enemies... As a viewer, this is not that great of a game to watch, and as an outsider, it clearly feels dated with other games in its own franchise being better in many aspects.

• 0_1664032717525_c7483ce1-dbf9-446b-806f-504bb5d7436d-image.png
    #2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker-19 points

Votes
    1:3 (Brannox, Shoulderguy, JDINCINERATOR)
    2:0
    3:1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM:1 (Oscillator)

Information

Release Date: NA: March 24th 2003, EU: May 2nd 2003
    Developer: Nintendo EAD
    Genre: Action-adventure

Links

Trailer-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP42wusaHJI&ab_channel=mywiiuchannel
    Wikipedia-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda%3A_The_Wind_Waker

• 0_1664033339604_081fbaf1-a697-48f9-8c72-9ecbc9bf48ce-image.png
    #1. Super Smash Bros. Melee-21 points

Votes
    1:2 (Oscillator, Bruno_Saurus)
    2:1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    3:1 (Brannox, NeoCweeny)
    HM:1 (Capnbobamous)

Information

Release Date: NA: December 3rd 2001, EU: May 24th 2002
    Developer: HAL Laboratory
    Genre: Fighting

Links

Trailer-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0O173xIuO0&ab_channel=mywiiuchannel
    Wikipedia-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee

• Oh damn I should have participated and give Wind Waker the win. I feel like I've failed us all.

• @phbz You didn't fail me, fuck Wind Waker =P

• @phbz Why didn't you vote if you don't mind me asking?

• Regarding The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, this is the only Zelda I like (while playing only it and A Link to the Past with any significant time). Personally, I LOVED sailing around and discovering each quadrant's island's secret(s), in addition to the delightful soundtrack. Dragon Roost Island's tune is my personal favorite, but there are several standouts as well. And speaking as someone who isn't a fan: The art style is fine and not the end of the world. Never was. In any event, I would love if Nintendo ported it to Switch, but I'm comfortable enough in saying since they already remastered it, they won't put it out again, even if it was full price.

As for Smash Melee, since it was just me, myself, and I, it became evident in a hurry the game wasn't for me, because the single player was not engaging in the slightest and the gameplay became boring QUICK. I didn't really have a connection to most characters that made up the roster, and now with Smash Ultimate, it's a game I never want to play again.

So it goes to show how little I played on GameCube when 3/4 of my list are games I don't ever want to replay again.

• My votes (never owned a GameCube so I included where I played each game):

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Wii U Remaster)
    2. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Wii)
    3. Spider-Man 2 (PS2)
    4. Fight Night Round 2 (PS2)
      HM: Madden NFL 2004 (PC)
      HM: The Simpsons: Hit & Run (PC)
      HM: Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
      HM: Resident Evil 4 (PS2 & PC Remaster)

• @jdincinerator I just didn't play enough games and I don't want to vote in any game I've never played. But now I see the consequence of my actions!! 😄😢

• This top 20 hasn't had the number of voters I had hoped for, but I sincerely thank everybody who voted on this one- so THANK YOU ALL!!! I still need to work on a few things regarding how I personally present these top 20s-but I am very happy to keep doing these. If you have any suggestions regarding how I can improve my top 20s I will take all your suggestions on board. I know some of the issues with my Top 20 Games of 2008 still remain, but I will get better the more I do these.

Next up I want to do a Top 20 PS2 Games-because I believe we'll have more voters and general interest in this. I would like a quick turnaround from one Top 20 to the next because there are so many Top 20 ideas we could make. If y'all want to make a separate branch on Top 20s yourself or take over from me, you're welcome to DM and let me know of your interest.

Here are my top 8 GameCube games:

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
    3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    4. Super Mario Sunshine
      HM: The Simpsons: Road Rage
      HM: WWE: Day of Reckoning
      HM: Madden NFL 2003
      HM: Luigi's Mansion

Later this week, I will reveal all the games you voted for that weren't on the list.

• Here is my list:
    Pikmin
    Resident Evil
    Super Smash Bros. Melee
    Ikaruga
    HM) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    HM) Star Fox Adventures
    HM) Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
    HM) Star Wars Rogue Squadron II Rogue Leader

Resident Evil remake is my favorite of the classic RE games. I really love the puzzle box design of the whole game.

Don't have nothing really to say about Melee that hasn't been said. It's an all time classic.

Star Fox Adventures is a great Zelda-like imo. I think this game gets hated for all the wrong reasons.

Rogue Leader is the best in the trilogy. It's a challenging and fun arcade style space combat game and one of the best in the genre.

• My list:

Resident Evil Remake
    Skies of Arcadia
    Eternal Darkness
    Super Mario Sunshine
    HM. Resident Evil 0
    HM. Resident Evil 4
    HM. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    HM. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Of those picks that made the coutdown:

Resident Evil Remake

To this day, I still think that this stands as the greatest video game remake and that's saying something considering how many we get these days. It added/changed just the right amount but thankfully didn't cross a line by drastically changing the gameplay or the genre. It also wasn't some simple and questionable bump up in visuals and frame rate, this game was and still is gorgeous and incredibly atmospheric. When I hear people say that remakes like the recent Last of Us Part 1 are "built from ground up", it's ones like REmake that cause me to question what exactly that means these days.

Skies of Arcadia

The only port I chose to put on the list and that's also down to the fact that it hasn't been seen on anything else since. With a truly grand sense of discovery and adventure , SoA is such a phenomenal JRPG and easily one of the Dreamcast's finest games. The port to GameCube had the one noticeable issue of compressed audio but otherwise it was the same fantastic game available now to a new set of gamers who missed out on the DC; the small story/character additions to this version were just the cherry on top really.

Eternal Darkness

Horror is definitely a go-to-genre for me, always has been in any medium but despite playing so many games now and naturally seeing a lot of recycled ideas in the process, Eternal Darkness still remains an incredibly unique title. Ok, its story takes a lot from lovecraftian horror, but the way in which the story plays out and the the way it's presented to the player is what makes this game so memorable for me. Twelve different characters over twelve different time periods, seeing the same areas change to time as it gets closer and closer to modern day as the game progresses is fascinating, as is uncovering how and why these characters fates are intertwined despite some living many centuries apart. I also love the way it handles the characters so differently which some being killed off in some amusingly abrupt ways.

Mario and Zelda I think speak for themselves and most people know what the score is with these titles. Never truly understood the general negativity that surrounded Mario Sunshine though, I've heard all of the issues people have but they are all minor gripes in my opinion and don't really translate to the level of stigma this one particular game seems to have developed.

• @sheria I'm curious to hear your opinion about The Twin Snakes, since you voted for it and have strong opinions about how remakes should be. I personally hink Twin Snakes is one of those remakes that has a lot of ups and downs.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best Nintendo GameCube Games:

@sheria I'm curious to hear your opinion about The Twin Snakes, since you voted for it and have strong opinions about how remakes should be. I personally hink Twin Snakes is one of those remakes that has a lot of ups and downs.

I definitely prefer the PS1 original and also agree it has its up's and downs. I was thinking hard about that last choice for my list and at the end of the day I just felt I couldn't ignore the fact that the Gamecube still houses this epic, full-on Metal Gear Solid game as an exclusive. It's kind of a big deal and highlight of the system.

As a remake though? Undeniable this is definitely built from the ground up, everyone back in to do all the voice acting again (for better or for worse) etc, but it thankfully didn't do anything drastic that may have alienated a fan of the franchise, it basically just bought it in line with MGS2.