What are your top 10 SP FPS campaign?

• Very PC heavy list. Not a bad thing, but a bit difficult to relate as a console gamer. Do you think that these still hold up? With the "iterative" approach consoles seem to be moving towards, and PC/xbox compatibility, I'm considering making the move to PC. I'd like to have a good pool of old school games to keep an eye out for.

My list (from a console gamer in no particular order)

Doom2016: I was really concerned about the glory kills, but the game is rock solid and just feels great.

Wolfenstein New Order: Another one that just feels good.

Deus Ex HR: Maybe the gunplay isn't that great, but the RPG elements and the world make it a fun experience.

Goldeneye: Could go perfect dark, but either way the single player is often overlooked.

Far Cry (4?): 3 and 4 are very similar, but I think I'd give the edge to 4 (as 3 came out at the end of a generation and was pretty choppy).

Resistance 3: overlooked gem of last gen

Bioshock: This ones all about the atmosphere.....though the combat in 2 is a bit better.

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2: Not many tactical FPSs on consoles so this really stands out.

COD4: Its easy to rip on COD these days, but MW was fresh at the time.

Killzone 2: Pretty good AI, heavy weapons, awesome graphics.

FEAR and halo are also really great but don't quite make the cut.

• Let's see.. here's a few I can think of (no particular order)

1. Call of Duty - 1/UO, 2, and 4 are all great in my opinion but I'm giving a shoutout to the under-appreciated Big Red One. I love the idea of following a real unit through their entire campaign.. Good characters, voice acting, and a story that didn't feel too forced (as far as I remember)
    2. Halo CE - The only Halo game I've played through.. but I love it and play it repeatedly still.
    3. Bioshock - The intro/reveal and exploration of Rapture never gets old for me
    4. Half Life/2 - I don't think I need to say anything here haha
    5. Red Faction - Saw it mentioned above.. I used to love this game. I need to find a copy and play it again
    6. Brothers In Arms - I think this series doesn't get enough love, but I guess it doesn't help that there hasn't been one in 8 years or so. Pretty unique gameplay, but the story gets pretty cheesy in 3. Again, I love the attention to historical detail and following the real footsteps of those soldiers

• Hard to make a list of 10, but here are a few classics.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay: It's all about the atmosphere for this one. Best Riddick content available, just a bad ass game.

Halo: Incredible shooter, best console shooter at the time, and made the Xbox relevant.

Bioshock: It's easy to pick this game apart. I think it was Ian who commented recently that he would have liked this game more if there was less combat. I can't argue with that, but for the time the story and atmosphere really pushed the genre, and it was doing what no other shooter was doing. Virtually every other FPS released in the late '00s was a military shooter.

Half Life 2: Gaming perfection in my opinion. The pacing, atmosphere, story and characters are all great. The puzzles are fun, the physics make the world come alive. I'm currently replaying the game and what surprises me the most is the amount of context in the world around you.

Cod4: It may have spawned many underwhelming sequels and rip offs, but the original Modern Warfare is an excellent game with a great single player campaign and multiplayer that set the standard for the rest of the Xbox 360/PS3 life cycle.

I know all these games are already traditionally considered greats, but they do shine above the rest. The original Call of Duty, Halo 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, and Timesplitters 2 are some others worth playing.

• @RockDoctor Can't vouch for all the OP's games, but if you do get a PC and want to play older games they'll all be on sale for super cheap at some point!

• Has your English somehow gotten better?

1. Riddick
    2. Halo 3
    3. R6V2
    4. Half Life 2
    5. Bioshock

NO ORDER
    Resistance FoM
    Killzone 2
    Half Life 1
    MoH Frontline
    Perfect Dark
    NOT GOLDENEYE CAUSE ITS ASS

• @GoTaco said in What are your top 10 SP FPS campaign?:

NOT GOLDENEYE CAUSE ITS ASS

Absolutely. it was not even good game when it was released. i mean half life and quack were released at same times too. goldeneye has not age well and was not a good game. maybe for N64 standard but not PC FPS standard.

• DOOM (2016) is worth a mention I think.

Although I think it gets a lot of points simply for standing out in a sea of bad singleplayers. id Software definitely reminded everyone of what level design is suppose to be.

• Global Moderator

Thats a hard one..

But some games I love

Halo: CE
    Bioshock Infinite
    Killzone 2
    Timesplitters 2
    Medal of Honor: Frontline

• In no particular order

• Halo 1 & 2
    • F.E.A.R.
    • Half-Life 2
    • Amnesia: Dark Descent
    • Farcry 3 (or 4)
    • Doom 3
    • Alien Isolation
    • Unreal 2
    • Theif 1
    • Bioshock 1

EDIT: Metro 2033 + Metro Last Light

• Don't really have enough for a list, but I feel like I should mention Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light, as well as the Metroid Prime trilogy.

• @Black-Cell Half Life doesn't even feel dated besides graphics. GoldenEye has awful SFX, terrible graphics, terrible controls, and the multiplayer maps are just the single player maps so they aren't even made for actual MP so you can run around for eons without even seeing an enemy.

Shit game when I was a kid and shit game especially today. I think most people who loved it were kids like me and didn't really care too much.

• @Chie-Best-Waifu Dang forgot about Metro, dats good shit.

• @GoTaco said in What are your top 10 SP FPS campaign?:

@Black-Cell Half Life doesn't even feel dated besides graphics. GoldenEye has awful SFX, terrible graphics, terrible controls, and the multiplayer maps are just the single player maps so they aren't even made for actual MP so you can run around for eons without even seeing an enemy.

Shit game when I was a kid and shit game especially today. I think most people who loved it were kids like me and didn't really care too much.

The 4 players split-screen is what make GoldenEye great.

• @Niriso

It isn't even very good though. Controls are awful and the maps are way too big for only 4 players anyways.

It has aged horribly in every aspect and was never very great in the first place.

Playing in 2016 is like running around a confusingly large map, and seeing your friend after a minute or two of searching just for both of you to scramble and try to aim with broken controls.