Vote for the EZA Community GOTY 2002

• Hello everyone and welcome to another EZA Community GOTY election! For this election, we're going back 20 years to the year 2002.

Here are the copy and pasted rules:

Votes are secret!! Don't post them here and instead send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum.

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, but you must at least have a Top 4.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) for the first time in 2002, with the following caveats:

• "Straight" ports to new platforms in 2002 are not eligible.
    • "Enhanced" ports, with some new content/features are also not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions are not eligible.
    • Games in beta / early access are not eligible.
    • Stand-alones are eligible.
    • Full remakes are eligible.

October 6th will be the last day to submit your votes. Make sure to look over the list of eligible games below carefully before submitting your list. Thank you and have fun!

• Suggested List of Eligible Games:

January

Rez, Syberia, NBA Courtside 2002, ESPN Winter X-Games Snowboarding 2002, Dropship: United Peace Force, Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front, Dark Arena, Salt Lake 2002, Forever Kingdom, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, PaRappa the Rapper 2, Drakan: The Ancients' Gates, Darkened Skye

February

Sonic Advance, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions, Herdy Gerdy, Wipeout Fusion, Shadow Man: 2econd Coming, NFL Blitz 20-03, High Heat Major League Baseball 2003, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Star Wars Racer Revenge, State of Emergency, Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars, NHL 2K2, Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat, UFC: Tapout, Gitaroo Man, Jet Set Radio Future, Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars, Pac-Man World 2, Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure, ESPN NBA 2Night 2002, All-Star Baseball 2003, EOE: Eve of Extinction, Star Trek: Bridge Commander, Command & Conquer: Renegade

March

Mad Maestro!, Fatal Frame, Knockout Kings 2002, Virtua Fighter 4, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, Everybody's Golf 3, Sled Storm, Triple Play 2002, Mister Mosquito, Sega Soccer Slam, Blood Omen 2, King's Field IV, Freedom Force, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Army Men: RTS, Savage Skies, Bloody Roar: Primal Fury

April

Dungeon Siege, Blender Bros., Spider-Man, RedCard 20-03, 2002 FIFA World Cup, Resident Evil Remake, Police 911

May

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix, Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights, TD Overdrive: The Brotherhood of Speed, Lost Kingdoms, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Way of the Samurai, WTA Tour Tennis, Guilty Gear X2

June

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Arx Fatalis, Shantae, Men in Black II: Alien Escape, Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne, Stuntman, SkyGunner, The House of the Dead III, UFC: Throwdown, Digimon World 3, Mega Man Battle Network 2, Neverwinter Nights, The Pinball of the Dead, Freekstyle, Football Mania, MX Superfly, Legion: The Legend of Excalibur, MLB Slugfest 20-03, Mike Tyson Heavyweight Boxing, Gravity Games Bike: Street Vert Dirt, V-Rally 3

July

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon, NCAA Football 2003, The Mark of Kri, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

August

Neocron, Dead to Rights, Madden NFL 2003, NFL 2K3, Icewind Dale II, Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2, Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse, NFL GameDay 2003, Street Hoops, NCAA GameBreaker 2003, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Thing, Medieval: Total War, TOCA Race Driver, Super Monkey Ball 2, Super Mario Sunshine, SOCOM U.S. Navy SEALs, Mafia, Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny

September

Battlefield 1942, Star Fox Adventures, Doshin the Giant, Stronghold: Crusader, Law & Order: Dead on the Money, Tekken 4, Dual Hearts, Earth & Beyond, Turok: Evolution, Fire Pro Wrestling 2, Armored Core 3, Dino Stalker, Mega Man Zero, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian, Animal Crossing, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, NHL Hitz 2003, Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer, Gungrave, The Terminator: Dawn of Fate, Dynasty Tactics, Kingdom Hearts, Taz: Wanted, NASCAR Thunder 2003, Divine Divinity, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Summoner 2, Tribes: Aerial Assault, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, NBA ShootOut 2003, Spyro 2: Season of Flame, NHL 2003, Grandia Xtreme, Conflict: Desert Storm, Mystic Heroes, Rocky Legends

October

Burnout 2: Point of Impact, ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth, The King of Fighters 2002: Challenge to Ultimate Battle, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Wild Arms 3, Legaia 2: Duel Saga, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Dual Blades, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, NBA 2K3, Zapper: One Wicked Cricket, NBA Live 2003, TimeSplitters 2, Evolution Skateboarding, Sub Rebellion, Red Faction II, BloodRayne, X-Men: Next Dimension, RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, Mario Party 4, Reign of Fire, Deathrow, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Sneakers, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, Suikoden III, Austin Powers Pinball, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003, Toxic Grind, Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth, Age of Mythology

November

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Drome Racers, MechAssault, Emergency 2, Gothic II, Dark Angel, Die Hard: Vendetta, Asheron's Call 2: Fallen Kings, Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, Phantom Crash, Ratchet & Clank, Robot Alchemic Drive, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, NHL FaceOff 2003, ATV Offroad Fury 2, Kakuto Chojin: Back Alley Brutal, MechAssault, Rally Fusion: Race of Champions, Hot Wheels: Velocity X, The Simpsons Skateboarding, Resident Evil Zero, Tomb Raider: The Prophecy, Whirl Tour, FIFA Football 2003, Disney Sports Skateboarding, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, BMX XXX, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Haven: Call of the King, Minority Report: Everybody Runs, Shox, Dr. Muto, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Steel Battalion, Legends of Wrestling II, Rygar: The Legendary Adventure, Hearts of Iron

December

The Getaway, Auto Modellista, The Sims Online

Late Additions

RalliSport Challenge

Comment below if you want any games added to this list.

• Mmm, good year. :)

• Google doesn't highlight it for "2002 gamecube games", and your eyes may glaze over it in the list above, so here's a tip: Animal Crossing released in North America in 2002.

• So I got 19 games that I can possibly vote for but half of them I haven't started yet so I need to put some work in if I want my list to be an actual good list, lol. Shoutout to Blade II, haven't touched it in a while but I remember it being way better than it has any right to be.

• A lot of classics that I want to play but haven't yet such as Gothic II or Stronghold: Crusader. There are some classics I've never played and unfortunately never will by virtue of time having passed and dead servers like BF 1942.

Overall, a pretty great year. This was prime video gaming when I was still quite young. I can still smell the basement in my parents old house while I ran my Mighty Ducks Dynasty Mode in NHL 2003 with Jimmy Eat World "Sweetness" blasting though the giant CRT.

I don't know why, but this song just became iconic and stood out as the best song in NHL history. They play this at every live hockey game I've ever been to. It's kinda like "Take Me Out" by Fraz Ferdinand being in Madden 2005 and it's always playing at football games. It became iconic.

Youtube Video

It was also a sick year for wrestling games between Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth! and Legends of Wrestling II on GameCube. Shut Your Mouth had the best graphics and animations I'd ever seen in my life up to that point. It made me question why I had a GameCube instead of a PS2. Then Legends of Wrestling II had an insanely huge roster, tons of old school modes like Battle Royal and everything was hardcore with a ton of weapons and tons of blood.

Youtube Video

• @dipset Damn I love that NHL 2003 soundtrack. Same with NHL 2004 and Madden NFL 2003.

• My vote is 1 game that's worth voting, 2 games not worth voting and 1 game I'm not sure I even played. Sorry everyone if this messes up the ranking.

• @ffff0 You know these aren't mandatory things to participate. I mean with those stats your list sounds just really weird. Why would you hand over a list like that?

• @sentinel-beach That's a good question. I guess I'm doing this simply because I did it for previous years.

But your question made me thinking and here's what I've got. I don't think that we can reasonably call some votes "valid" and some "invalid". We are not professional gaming journalist here (at least, not all of us), so we have opinion only about games that we've found time to play. If someone didn't vote for an excellent game because it's from a genre that doesn't interest that person, does that make this vote "invalid"? Or if someone didn't have time to play an excellent game, because he was playing an average game, does that make this vote "invalid"? I prefer when the anser to both questions is "no", because video games is an art and "this appeals to me" is just as important as more objective characteristics like stable framerate. Yes this may result in Hollow Knight not making into Top 25, but it's also what makes this thing interesting.

What I'm trying to say is that our votes is just a reflection of our personal gaming experience. Mine was the one I've described. The games I didn't consider good - I still played and finished them, so giving them points doesn't fill all that weird for me.

But if you think that such votes should not be allowed, I will not fight against it.

• To add onto to the valid/invalid votes point, as we go further into the past, it's becoming more common for me to give votes to games that I didn't play myself, but I HAVE seen in their entirety via full playthroughs (99% of the time from one of the Allies), so while I can't comment on the feel of these particular games, I CAN discuss environments, story, characters, certain aspects of the design, etc., to the point there are games I've watched I've actually enjoyed more than some games I've played. Kind of a mini-spoiler, my ballot for 2002 consists of 11 games, three of which I have not played, but all three made the top 8, 2 are Honorable Mentions and one I have as high as third. So I think voting to what you know, whether you played it, seen it, enjoyed it, and/or despised it all should count. And for a while, I felt really weird about including games that I personally didn't play, but one day I just decided, if I'm familiar enough with a game to discuss it beyond a surface, cursory level, why not?

• I belong to a totally different school of thought in which I'd never vote for a game I haven't played myself. It just feels wrong in my mind. Like I've watched Huber play all the Resident Evils and I have to say that they seem like excellent video games for the most parts, but since I've only ever played RE4 myself I'd never give any points to other REs in these threads.

But to each their own, I guess. In the end it's good to see any activity here.

• I played quite a few games in 2002 despite being only 10 at the time. My top 2 are undisputable as far as I'm concerned. I do think many of us might have it in our minds what number 1 is, and I believe my number 1 is going to be number 1 on this list-it'll be quite shocking if it isn't.

• Every vote for an eligable game is valid. I have played enough games from 2002 and other years from that generation to don't have to vote for games I didn't play but I think is ok to vote for games you haven't. If you recently watched a playthrough of it you probably have more clear memories of the games than when I played 20 years ago XD

• I don't think of votes valid or invalid. Despite me not having played all time classics like Morrowind (more than a brief stint), I will still go to bat for anything on my list as being top tier from 2002. I still play some of the games I voted for despite them not being hailed as all time gaming classics. I vote by how I feel. And that is what will make our overall list unique.

• I haven't received any lists in a few days so just wanted to remind everyone to please vote if you can. The deadline is October 6th.

Currently have 9 participants so far.

• With just over a week remaining, here's a reminder to those who haven't voted yet:

@bam541, @Capnbobamous, @MXAGhost, @NeoCweeny, @E_Zed_Eh_Intern, @Axel, @Sheria, @Bigdude1, @Phbz, @Crepe, @Nimbat1003, @Tearju-Engi, @Scotty, @DemonPirate

October 6th is the last day to vote.

• @shoulderguy How many have voted so far?

• @jdincinerator I still have 9 lists. The last two GOTY elections had 16 voters so hopefully we can get that many again.

• I'm going to send mine!

• I'll submit mine in a couple days, I just have one more game I want to try out first...