Easy Games With Hard Final Bosses

• I've recently polished off the story of Splatoon 3, and while I found most of it to be breezy, the final boss almost sent me to the brink of insanity. I think it's something of a cliche for generally simple and straightforward games to reach the end and put all the skills you've learned to the ultimate test. I understand games want a roaring crescendo of a sendoff, but they often sacrifice what made them pleasurable to begin with for the sake of one last big challenge.

Do you guys have any examples of games that are usually a breeze right up until the final level and/or boss, where the game decides to throw everything, the kitchen sink and the dirty dishes and cutlery at you?

• Pretty much every SNK fighting game.

• @jdincinerator I didn't think that boss was that hard, besides not understanding I could move near the end. Now Octo Expansion's secret boss, that was a hard fight.

• @mbun I wish I felt the same way, but some people find certain bosses difficult more than other people.

• Pikmin franchise

• I can't think of very much off the top of my head but I recall playing P5 on Easy or Normal and just breezing through the game. Then there was this boss with paintings for body parts (like eyes, mouth, nose are all different painting frames) and the fucker just one shot squad wiped me. On second attempt, I mopped the floor with him. Idk what happened.

--

Another actual final boss is Eric Sparrow in Tony Hawk's Underground. The game isn't that hard if you are good at Tony Hawk, but even for an adept player, that combo line to beat Eric Sparrow in fiery evil New Jersey is pretty nuts, especially on 'Sick'. The rest of the game has it's challenging moments but it's never too too hard.

Youtube Video – [16:12..]

What's funny is that the game sort of acknowledges it's hard. Because if you go through the Story Mode again, the player just punches Eric in the face, takes the Hawaii tape, and you don't have to do the boss fight and credits roll. It's a hilarious Easter Egg.

Alt Ending
    Youtube Video

• Dandara - Trials of Fear. The game is fairly accessible but the last boss destroyed me. Awesome fight.

• @dipset said:

I can't think of very much off the top of my head but I recall playing P5 on Easy or Normal and just breezing through the game. Then there was this boss with paintings for body parts (like eyes, mouth, nose are all different painting frames) and the fucker just one shot squad wiped me. On second attempt, I mopped the floor with him. Idk what happened.

I think this happened to alot of players. I can't remember if you learn to target a threatening part first after it wipes you the first time or if the boss has some kind of counter move you learn to avoid, but it is one of those if I remember correctly.

• I feel like a lot of fighting games can apply here. I got through the Tekken 7 campaign just fine but I still haven't beat the final (bonus?) fight in the campaign, man's reading me like a book everytime.