Quitters? Explain yourselves.

• I would presume everyone here has started a game with intent to finish it but decided to throw in the towel at some point part way in. Possible reasons are extensive; too difficult, story wasn't hooking you, poor writing, uninteresting characters, too repetitive, game is too long / too padded or maybe you just struggle sticking with one thing for too long.

My question though is: what would you easy allies consider your most common reason for quitting a game for good?

• If game is boring open world. as most open world game get boring before the end.

If its too cinematic, on rail, QTE segments after QTE.

same goes to RPG games that are 100 hours long but become boring in first or second hour.

Perfect length is 10-15 hours, linear or semi open is fine.

• @b-cell said in Quitters? Explain yourselves.:

If game is boring open world. as most open world game get boring before the end.

same goes to RPG games that are 100 hours long but become boring in first or second hour.

I think the heavy QTE, cinematic games are usually easy to indentify before you commit to buying them but fair enough. Presuming you initially liked the game and what it was offering though, what's the more common of those reasons that makes you dump a game you've started?

• @sheria said in Quitters? Explain yourselves.:

@b-cell said in Quitters? Explain yourselves.:

If game is boring open world. as most open world game get boring before the end.

I think the heavy QTE, cinematic games are usually easy to indentify before you commit to buying them but fair enough. Presuming you initially liked the game and what it was offering though, what's the more common of those reasons that makes you dump a game you've started?

I started playing God of war. I knew i was going to hate it but somehow i tried it but it was so bad that I have to quit after 1 and half hour.

literally you are doing nothing.

@sheria said in Quitters? Explain yourselves.:

I started playing God of war. I knew i was going to hate it but somehow i tried it but it was so bad that I have to quit after 1 and half hour.

I'd quit games I knew I was going to hate too, problem is that I don't play them to begin with. Please try and answer the question...

I'd quit games I knew I was going to hate too, problem is that I don't play them to begin with. Please try and answer the question...

LOL. all im saying that if game started to get boring I quit. but most games I somehow complete.

LOL. all im saying that if game started to get boring I quit. but most games I somehow complete.

If a game gets boring for you, on average, what aspect of the game tends to bore you first?

• @sheria Personally I'd quit a game if it's virtually unplayable or is a headache to play-imagine something like The Quiet Man but an open-world game-no thank you! I do try to drill through as many games as possible, some of them stay with me like What Remains of Edith Finch and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, but others like Ride To Hell: Retribution I'd give up in a pinch. There you go I did a triplet rhyme for y'all.

If a game gets boring for you, on average, what aspect of the game tends to bore you first?

the gameplay mechanics if its bad.

• In recent years it’s been life and not the game itself.

I still haven’t completed Elden Ring because it requires a lot of concentration and it’s way more fun to play in long sessions.

There just isn’t enough time between work, social (family/friends), sports, trips and other life stuff to just play Elden Ring for 4 hours at a time.

Another thing I’ve been doing is getting amped up to try a game, buying it, then for the same reasons listed above, I opt to play a bite sized game like multiplayer matches in Halo MCC, Chivalry II, or Battlefield. MP gaming is just so approachable in short bursts on a Saturday morning with friends that it just fits into my life better.

But things change, I’ll probably try to dedicate some time to heavy gaming this winter and lay off MP games except for the occasional COD MWII matches.

• For me it's also life. There can be weeks where I don't have time for games. Though I rarely quit though. I have come to accept that some games just take a year for me to beat XD

With this I do tend to play through many games at the same time because I get bored playing the same game over a long period, even if it is very good. So instead of quiting, I just put it on the sideline. I don't really quit games because of boredom, just put them on the side. I know what games that I like and have no desire to step out of my comfort zone anymore. I just stick to what I know and love and I enjoy almost every game I play.

Sometimes I do quit games because of difficulty though. When I play a game with my limited time I do want to make progress so I start to don't like difficult games anymore as much as I used to. I almost gave up on Sekiro and Elden Ring but did end up beating them eventually. Now I'm thinking of quiting Nioh. That game is even harder than From's games. I really love this game but I started it more than one year ago and I'm only halfway through. If I only have a few hours in a week to play a game I don't want to spend it on dying a bunch of times to a boss in Nioh.

• My main reason usually about the story: If a story is interesting enough to make me want to see the end I usually finish that game. Given that I'm a bit obsessive, leaving a game before finishing is either to do with story is so bland or game is so boring mechanically that even story can't salvage it.

Recent examples that came to my mind is Eastward and Midnight Fight Express. Though maybe I will finish MFE someday.

• @neocweeny

You and I have similar patterns. I do chip damage to big games across long periods of time.

This year alone, I put like 100h into Nier Replicant v1.00829833839393933939393 whatever the fuck but that game is so mindless that it doesn’t require nearly as much concentration as Elden Ring.

I also chipped away at CP77 v1.5 for maybe 70h which was another easy to play in small doses game.

Tbh, just quit Nioh. The game is alright but it’s really fucking long with a ton of side missions and a ton of time that stacks up to hours just navigating the UI and dropping junk weapons and general time spent not really playing. It’s also really hard at times and I just don’t feel like it’s worth the battle. I’d drop it with the quickness and put it into something like an Elden Ring.

But that’s me

• @dipset I already finished Elden Ring. The great thing about Elding Ring was once you feel like you're "done" with it, you can just speed your way through the game. Only the final Boss can be a bitch.

I really like Nioh though. The things you mentioned don't really bother me, only the difficulty and lenght. Like I feel the game should be finished by now but I'm only halfway through. The bosses are so hard already. I don't want to know how hard they get near the end of the game.

• usually I would just quit if the game's too frustrating/hard to me gameplay wise (the two Nioh games and basically every From Soft game since DS2 for example). Nowadays my most frequent reason is that I feel like the game is not more than a 6 out of 10 at best and I would rather play a better game lol.

• Great title for the forum I must say. Sounds like a show Easy Allies could do.

• I usually finish my games because almost every game has something interesting going on.

JRPGs are the only ones that break me almost every time. It's just that the gameplay isn't something I enjoy, I find it unpleasant, and the amount of times it makes me go through stuff I don't enjoy gets to a point when it becomes physically unpleasant to play them, I get nauseated by them. I keep trying but alas.

• Due to life stresses, I've had some trouble lately finishing the last 10% of games that I like, and even starting games that I really want to play. It is starting to clear up now, though.

Aside from arcade games and some simulators, I've never truly quit any game before finishing it. Some games I didn't finish because they were rentals and I wanted to rent something different next time. Otherwise, I only stop playing a game after the central objectives are completed and I just get tired of it.