The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2002!

• Welcome to the countdown for the EZA community top 20 games of 2002!

14 of you participated by submitting your list and 47 total games received at least one nomination.

Let's count them down!

• 0_1665164795264_Unreal Tournament 2003.png

#19: Unreal Tournament 2003 - 4 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Oscillator)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: NA: September 30, EU: October 31
    Developer: Epic Games, Digital Extremes
    Publisher: Infogrames
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

0_1665164851736_Star Fox Adventures.png

#19: Star Fox Adventures - 4 points

Votes

#2: 1 (NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: NA: September 23, AU: November 15, EU: November 22
    Developer: Rare
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure, beat 'em up, shooter
    Platform(s): GameCube

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

0_1665164829727_NHL 2003.png

#19: NHL 2003 - 4 points

Votes

#2: 1 (DIPSET)

Information

Release date: NA: September 30, EU: October 18
    Developer: EA Canada
    Publisher: EA Sports
    Genre: Sports
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, PC

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I love NHL 2003 for the simple fact it introduced me to an amazing soundtrack. I couldn't put it on my list because I spent most of my time pitting the A.I together in tournaments, but what a soundtrack!

• I have no experience with any of the three of our first reveals, so another truncated post for me:

Of the three, Unreal Tournament 2003 would have the most appeal, and even tough I'm aware you can play against bots, I don't think a multi-player only focused game carries much weight for me. It needs more. That and it being PC exclusive puts another barrier against me playing it.

I hear a lot of dislike for Star Fox Adventures because it isn't a traditional Star Fox game, so I don't really know what it is. I'm curious if the words "Star Fox" wasn't printed on the cover art if it would be higher regarded.

NHL 2003... simply put, I'm not into hockey, and I've given my thoughts on yearly sports games elsewhere, so need to further beat the dead horse.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2002!:

That and it being PC exclusive puts another barrier against me playing it.

It was ported (very nicely) to the original Xbox as Unreal Championship. Though, this kind of game loses something without a mouse.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2002!:

I have no experience with any of the three of our first reveals, so another truncated post for me:

I hear a lot of dislike for Star Fox Adventures because it isn't a traditional Star Fox game, so I don't really know what it is. I'm curious if the words "Star Fox" wasn't printed on the cover art if it would be higher regarded.

Yes that is part of it. It was originaly called Dinosaur Planet then Nintendo pushed Rare to change it to a Star Fox game. Fans of both Rare and Star Fox we're missed of about it. Also Rare was sold to Microsoft before the release of this game and people were Mad about that too.
    This game never got much a chance. It's not a groundbreaking game, it doesn't do much new, it's basically just a Zelda clone but I personally think it's a really good one. It's been a really long time ago since I've played it but I enjoyed this game a lot back in the day. It looks great, it has a great soundtrack and the gameplay is pretty good.

I can understand why some people think it's average and critisize it's lack of originality in terms of gameplay but there are so many action/adventure games from this era that don't do nothing groundbreaking gameplaywise and still receive a lot of praise. Like Beyond Good & Evil, the GC Zelda games,... So I think this one gets unfairly critized by most people.

• 0_1665255832407_Sly Cooper.png

#18: Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - 5 points

Votes

#2: 0
    #4: 2 (Brannox, Sentinel Beach)
    HM: 1 (kindiman)

Information

Release date: NA: September 23
    Developer: Sucker Punch Productions
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platform, stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• This one almost made my list. I'm quite fond of the original Sly Cooper. I've only played Sly 1 and 2 and I think I like this one a little bit more. I like it's more simplistic design. It's more "Crash Bandicoot-esque" in it's level design.

• I only played the Sly trilogy later on on PS3. Really liked the games! The first one has a simple structure but in all the right ways. The sound the sneaking makes is cool. :)

• The first Sly Cooper has an interesting premise, with taking out the Fiendish Five by first going through their operations before taking them on in their respective boss fights. And of the four Sly games, I think this is the most dedicated "this is a level" type of design (though I prefer Sly 2's overall mission structure and locations). I enjoy each level having all their own dedicated clue bottles with safes, each holding a page of the titular Thieveus Racoonus.

However, while this is a fun game in its own right, it's simplicity does hinder it a great deal. In terms of run time, it doesn't overstay its welcome, which is greatly appreciated. That said, unless you want to replay levels for clue bottles (which are incredibly easy to get in your first run-through), no level provides worthy replay-ability unless you REALLY love time trials. Also, another thing I don't care for is when you're put into non platforming levels. Guiding Murray from a turret is a chore, defeating enemies with a time limit is aggravating, and controlling the van is AWFUL. While these levels are few and far between, all of them are still mandatory, which is annoying.

As for the ACTUAL Fiendish Five themselves, well, none of them are interesting boss fights. Mz Ruby with her rhythm game style and Clockwerk's multiple stages are worse than the others.

And while this post mostly sounds negative, I genuinely do ultimately have a passably fun experience from beginning to end whenever I replay it. It just ultimately suffers from having better entries in its franchise to come after it. Still, big thanks to @Sentinel-Beach and @kindiman for giving it a nomination!

• Sly Raccoon appears as the lesser of the three huge, animated platformer franchises-and although it's kinda true, it's still a terrific game in a terrific franchise. The stealth is cool even if it's forced upon the player-but that's not a bad thing, it's really neat to have a game with a proper challenge that doesn't have you just smash stuff up recklessly. Gotta respect a game that doesn't simply bow down to established convention.

• Never played the OG Sly Trilogy, always wanted to ever since I played (and loved) Thieves in Time. If Sony ever gets their act together it would be great to see the trilogy on the PS+ classics catalog.

• 0_1665334113179_TimeSplitters 2.png

#17: TimeSplitters 2 - 5 points

Votes

#2: 1 (JDINCINERATOR)
    HM: 1 (NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: NA: October 8, EU: October 18
    Developer: Free Radical Design
    Publisher: Eidos Interactive
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The only thing I really know about Timesplitters 2 is that it was done by the same people who made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark when they split from Rare in the same vain of said games. Beyond that, I don't really ever hear any conversation about it whenever topics of bring back dead franchises comes up (though I DO know courtesy of the Embracer group there IS a new game in the works by... somebody. Same people?).

• I am admittedly surprised that TimeSplitters 2 is this far down the countdown. I suppose there isn't enough traction behind TimeSplitters all these years later, but to me it was a big deal in 2002, and it was a fantastic experience that really made me sit up and take notice. It's good that Xbox players can play this through backward compatibility-the fact it's on the service shows how well-regarded it is, just thought it'd get more backing for this countdown.

• Im also a bit surprised it's not higher. It's a fantastic shooter. It's mostly known for it's multiplayer but I never played it. I think the single player campaign is excellent. A lot of mission variety and the level design is really great

• I played this through the easter egg in Homefront: The Revolution, got as far as the weird sci-fi level. I definitely understand why people liked it so much, but the gunplay got a bit old for me. I guess it's just a bit too dated for me, didn't really vibe with the way it controls and the feel of the weapons. The level variety is great tho, they certainly used the time jumping setting as well as they can.

• @bam541 Is the whole game included? I didn't know about this.

The controls always felt old school. Even when it was new. It has a very N64 feel. I think this made it stand out among other post-Halo console FPS games.

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2002!:

@bam541 Is the whole game included? I didn't know about this.

The controls always felt old school. Even when it was new. It has a very N64 feel. I think this made it stand out among other post-Halo console FPS games.

There's a secret arcade cabinet towards the end that allows you to play a bit of the game, first two levels if I recall correctly. I think people figured out later though that there's a way to unlock the whole game on it.