So, you're my next game?

• I have very little money to spend on games, so I get games that I KNOW are going to turn my crank, and have a lot of bang for the buck. I also buy nearly 100% physical for resale value, so digital-only games are low-tier for me.

Typically, this means Nintendo first-party and/or franchises I have a strong track record with. I typically don't buy sports games, JRPGs, simulators, ultra-mainstream games (GTA, COD, Overwatch, etc.), or 2D platformers, and as I have never owned a Sony console, no Sony exclusives.

So, my next three confirmed buys are Pokemon Violet (not sure if I'll have the money yet, though), Tears of the Kingdom, and Starfield (though it's a new franchise, I'm expecting it to be 'Skyrim in space').

Also, my backlog (both owned and to-buy) is huge right now because the Switch has been getting great releases at an incredible rate. Some Xbox 360 and Xbox One games keep sliding down...

• Right now Gamepass is my main source of games. I have a backlog folder on my Xbox where I put the recently added titles I eventually want to play. I usually don't have more than 5 games there and pick by gut feeling my next one. Honestly Gamepass was the best thing that happened in gaming for me.

If there's something I buy on Xbox, PC or Switch then it automatically becomes my next game.

• Basically I just play what I'm in the mood for.

One thing I don't like to do is play a series out of order. This means I don't actually play a lot of games on release because I'm not caught up with the series yet. Sometimes I try to make an effort to catch up to an upcoming release but most of the time I fail at it.

There are some big franchises where I am many entries away from the newest release because I realy start a series from the very first game no matter how old it is.

• Anticipation

I'll drop one game for a newer one if the newer one is something I'm really looking forward to. I recently put a pin in CKIII for MWII now that it's out.

--

The Juggle

I like to juggle two different kinds of games at once. Usually one MP game and one single player game. Or one hardcore game and one casual game. Some of my all time favourite game juggling pairs were: Dark Souls II & South Park Stick of Truth, BFBC2 & Modern Warfare 2.

But sometimes it just doesn't work. I tried juggling Elden Ring & GT7 and I just couldn't do it. Those games just require dedication and focus and despite buying both games at full price brand new, I still haven't given either the time they deserve because I don't want to be so dedicated.

--

Logical Flow

Sometimes I just get into a groove of a certain type of game.

I recently got into CKIII—a very hardcore PC kind of game. I just finished Citizen Sleeper, a resource/time management game with difficult choices. Now I want to get back into Frostpunk because Citizen Sleeper reminded me of Frostpunk, which I never completed. So I often get myself into that logical flow of sticking to similar game types.

Same goes for multiplayer with friends. We have such a blast in Halo MCC so we want to keep that train rolling and try other MP games where we can work together and chat in Discord. In recent years we go from MCC --> Ready or Not --> COD --> MCC and flow like that.

--

[Bonus] — Is It Short?

The older I get, the less I appreciate games like God of War going from an 8-10 hour character action series to a 20-40 hour XP driven looter with spongey enemies and constant areas to grind and loot.

I literally chose to play Citizen Sleeper cause I saw on Game Pass the HLTB length was 6.5 hours! Nice! I ended up playing it for 8 hours and still can extract a bit more from it cause I liked it so much.

But the fact I chose the short and satisfying option over the long and drawn out option says a lot. Short games feel satisfying to finish and often have a better Pound For Pound enjoyment factor.

I also started replaying the Uncharted series and that series is all killer no filler. It's nice to just hammer through those, have a good time, and move on.

• If people start yammering on about a game that must be played-then I'm inclined to check it out. I feel like I gravitate to these huge triple A releases if the hype is that big then I want to see if that hype is truly warranted. I'm a few hours into Ragnarok and although it's a fantastic game for what it is, it's what I think many people expected it to be. I don't think Ragnarok is doing anything new, it's giving gamers more of what they love-which is fine, but if that's our standard for GOTYs we do seem to be setting the bar quite low.

I delved straight into A Plague Tale: Requiem because I completed Innocence thrice, so my eagerness to check out Requiem was unabated. Following that, I decided to devour New Tales From The Borderlands because I thought it'd be an easy and breezy story-led adventure, and it most certainly is that.

So generally speaking, if the hype is huge, I am inclined to play the game just to see if I find whether the hype is warranted. Then if a game is straightforward-that will compel me to play immediately, as will my excitement for a game stemming from previous works by the same developer.

• @phbz said in So, you're my next game?:

Right now Gamepass is my main source of games. I have a backlog folder on my Xbox where I put the recently added titles I eventually want to play. I usually don't have more than 5 games there and pick by gut feeling my next one. Honestly Gamepass was the best thing that happened in gaming for me.

Does your gut sometimes ever pick completely random games on there as your next game? For example ones you've never heard of before or a type/genres of game that you would maybe consider out of your comfort zone?

• @neocweeny said in So, you're my next game?:

One thing I don't like to do is play a series out of order. This means I don't actually play a lot of games on release because I'm not caught up with the series yet. Sometimes I try to make an effort to catch up to an upcoming release but most of the time I fail at it.
    There are some big franchises where I am many entries away from the newest release because I realy start a series from the very first game no matter how old it is.

Where do you stand on something like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed where there isn't really much or any connection these days?

• @jdincinerator said in So, you're my next game?:

If people start yammering on about a game that must be played-then I'm inclined to check it out. I feel like I gravitate to these huge triple A releases if the hype is that big then I want to see if that hype is truly warranted. I'm a few hours into Ragnarok and although it's a fantastic game for what it is, it's what I think many people expected it to be. I don't think Ragnarok is doing anything new, it's giving gamers more of what they love-which is fine, but if that's our standard for GOTYs we do seem to be setting the bar quite low.

I delved straight into A Plague Tale: Requiem because I completed Innocence thrice, so my eagerness to check out Requiem was unabated. Following that, I decided to devour New Tales From The Borderlands because I thought it'd be an easy and breezy story-led adventure, and it most certainly is that.

So generally speaking, if the hype is huge, I am inclined to play the game just to see if I find whether the hype is warranted. Then if a game is straightforward-that will compel me to play immediately, as will my excitement for a game stemming from previous works by the same developer.

Do you have many older games sitting on the backburner?

• @sheria Absolutely, already played several games I've never heard until I saw them on GP. And no doubt I've played genres I never buy games from and ended up enjoying them.

• @sheria I don't do it because of the story. I want to see the gameplay evolution of a series.

• @neocweeny said in So, you're my next game?:

@sheria I don't do it because of the story. I want to see the gameplay evolution of a series.

Any exceptions?

• Another thing that helps is if a full series or at least the important predecessors are easily available. For example, I see Dishonored and Dishonored 2 on Game Pass. I very much intend on playing those but if I had to buy them, I probably would wait for a sale.

• @sheria I've got a variety of games sitting on the back burner, though I try to play as many games as possible. I've played over 60 games that came out this year alone, but I imagine I've got a BIG amount of games from years prior I haven't even played yet.

• @sheria series with games not released outside of Japan.

For some reason I played the Kirby games completely out of order. I don't know why XD

• of course I pick game which interest me or have elements that make me interest. but sometimes also surprised like i was surprised by FF7 remake never thought I would end up liking it. Me, liking a JRPG game. LOL

• New GTA, Metroid or 3D Mario are day-one locks. I’d say Final Fantasy, SMT and Persona are close to that level too.

After that, a big thing is PSN sales. There will be games I was somewhat interested in at full price or ones that I thought I’d never enjoy but were so cheap it was worth the gamble. This is how I found Hitman 2016, which I love.

Otherwise, I guess random signs from the universe you could call it? My kids are super into Frozen right now so I ordered the Kingdom Hearts collection thing and am very much excited to jump in. We didn’t have a house for a bit and once we did, I updated my MISTER, which recently received a non-beta PS1 core so I finally jumped into Final Fantasy Tactics.

So I guess all this is to say it’s completely random.

• A follow up question to everyone I guess. When you finish a game, or feel you've gotten enough of the one you're playing , do you immediately, or soon after, start thinking "right, what's my next game?" or do you stop thinking about games for a while and kind of let the next one just come more naturally/organically?

(Not expecting people to immediately jump straight onto that next game mind, just wondering if you start at least questioning what the next one will be)

• ^ I know one game in advance what I'm playing, meaning when I start playing a game, I already know the next one. Depending on how short/long the current game is, and how much I'm anticipating the next one, I could have a gap waiting for the next one to release, or interrupt the one I'm on.

• @jdincinerator said in So, you're my next game?:

@sheria I've got a variety of games sitting on the back burner, though I try to play as many games as possible. I've played over 60 games that came out this year alone, but I imagine I've got a BIG amount of games from years prior I haven't even played yet.

Here's my backlog:

Own, Haven't Started:

Super Mario World, SNES
    Dark Souls 1, Xbox 360
    Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, Xbox One
    Rage 2, Xbox One
    Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Switch
    Yooka-Laylee, Switch
    Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit, Switch

Own, Barely Started:

Halo 4, Xbox 360
    Dirt Rally, Xbox One

Own, Half-Finished:

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions, Xbox One
    Alien: Isolation, Xbox One
    Cuphead, Xbox One
    New Pokemon Snap, Switch

Own, need to complete post-game:

Super Mario Odyssey, Switch
    Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Switch

Own, ongoing open-ended:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Xbox 360
    Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Xbox One
    Rocket League, Xbox One
    Planet Coaster, PC

Already released, intend to buy (in order of priority):

Luigi's Mansion 3, Switch
    Ring Fit Adventure, Switch
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Switch
    Final Fantasy VII, Switch
    Halo Infinite, Xbox One (or Series X)
    Dragon Quest XI S, Switch

Intend to buy, retro:

Earthbound, SNES
    Star Fox, SNES
    Harvest Moon, SNES
    Winback, N64
    Space Station Silicon Valley, N64
    Glover, N64
    Resident Evil 2, N64

• Regarding what my next game is going to be, I always have a backlog list, so I have a (rough) idea of my next several games, though everything is always subject to change. Here's a snapshot of my list as of this morning:

God of War: Ragnarok
    New Tales From the Borderlands
    The Callisto Protocol Watchthrough
    Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core: Reunion
    Save Room
    Evil West
    Somerville (?)
    Killzone: Mercenary
    Octopath Traveler
    Final Fantasy V
    Halo: Infinite (Revisit)
    Pokemon FireRed (Quasi-revisit)
    Final Fantasy X (Playthrough #6482652946 [hyperbole, but you get the idea])
    Final Fantasy X-2 (Playthrough number 4, I think?)
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast (finish up)
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (1st playthrough to start after Outcast finished)

So, to give a little insight:

New Tales From the Borderlands is so high, because I've already started it. Before, it was somewhere in the middle. And I as I said, I don't juggle games well, so I need to finish it before moving to my top priority Ragnarok (which came into my possession yesterday). I misjudged how much free time I would have this past week, otherwise I would have held off. I hope to be done before the weekend is out.

Save Room is SUPER short from what I've heard, so I might be able to only need 2-3 hours to get through it, so it may jump up the list.

The Callisto Protocol is a game I very much want to watch a Huber full playthrough (and the Dead Space Remake for that matter). And since I don't want to play it, it's very easy to schedule around.

I love Crisis Core, so it's a given I'm going to play the new shiny version.

The question mark you see next to Somerville is because I'm on the fence. For as high quality as Inside is, I HATE the last 30-45 minutes of that game, so much so I haven't gone back to it in the six years since it came out. Somerville has an interesting looking premise, but I'm awaiting reviews and for someone to say (without spoiling it) if this games as out-of-nowhere like Inside does. Dependent on those is what determines if I give it a shot.

As I said, new game announcements (Whassup Game Awards), out-of-nowhere feelings to revisit something else in my collection, and other factors can cause me to change up this list, but again, this is a snapshot as of me writing.