Enemy Overload

• There's this cliche with some games, where you are forced to fight off swathes of the same old enemies time and time again, raising a deflating groan from your companion NPC, yet the game continues to force you into battle, without addressing the fatigue at all; sending you into growing unrest as you resist the temptation to do something better with your time.

There are times in A Plague Tale: Requiem and God of War: Ragnarok where this foible becomes apparent, and I find it really demonstrates the sense that the players are nothing more than mindless workhorses.

Do you have any examples in games where an NPC reflects how you feel about the game, or becomes exhausted at the same old influx of hostiles that need to be eviscerated?

• Sorry I misread the thread

• @phbz You can say what you want to dude I always appreciate insights.

• @jdincinerator When I was playing Ni No Kuni, I was getting pretty exasperated with how annoying the over explaining of every single mechanic was, then one of the characters said something about how excessive the tutorials were. I thought to myself if that was put there by the writers out of frustration for the amount of text they had to write explaining stuff to the player.

In Plague Tale I noticed that too. About yet another combat encounter. In cases like this I think developers realise the issue but they need to get to a certain runtime and combat is a cheap way of lengthening a game. You have all the code and art done already.

Edit: I'll say that about 100% of all action/adventure games are made worse by forcing unnecessary combat sections.

• I love The Last of Us Part II but there is something to be said about the pacing when Ellie groans "more of these guys" or "this again". If you feel the need to acknowledge the drawn out boring bits, then maybe consider editing out the long drawn out boring bits. If Ellie is tired, I am tired of slogging around.

Recently went back and replayed Uncharted 1 and started a replay of Uncharted 2 for the first time in forever. My girlfriend isn't into video games and every little shake, creak, broken pipe, and leaps big and small in the platforming feels like life and death for her. It made me realize how Naughty Dog tapped into something exciting, yet, simple in the slower platforming sections of those games. You don't feel bored like when you're pushing dumpsters or skids in The Last of Us.

• I feel like every third person action game released in the past 15 years does this.