Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?

• I am intrigued by Callisto Protocol. I understand some of the brains behind Dead Space are working on it, and it is exciting that it's a new IP that looks promising. Yet I am one to veer into cynicism and pessimism at times-so I feel it's more indicative of Dead Space than anything.

I know the triple A videogame industry is about putting out games that will sell, meaning publishers want the developers who can make games that will trend. Yet I find this practice so tiresome, because I know it's more about money than art. Not that triple A games aren't exciting or lesser, I just have a growing propensity for seeing the inspirations first before acknowledging the uniqueness of the game itself.

How do you guys feel about Callisto Protocol-do you think it'll be a great survival horror game?

• I think it'll be pretty great. Dead Space 1 was the exception, not the rule, for AAA Publishers having a sleeper hit turn mainstream. Not that survival horror or third-person action adventure is a niche genre, but games like Dead Space nor Callisto are automatic mass appeal. I think saying "we created Dead Space and this game is heavily inspired by our old works" is a simple but effective way of getting people interested.

One example would be Vince Zampella having a very public falling out with Activision / Kotick then eventually forming Respawn with former Infinity Ward developers filling out over time. Average Joe's never would've known Zampella / Respawn Entertainment made Medal of Honor and Call of Duty without saying things to the media like, "From the creators of Call of Duty". In one sentence, I know I'm going to get a high quality FPS from Respawn Ent. PLUS the game speaks for itself. Titanfall wasn't anything like Call of Duty and we didn't expect to get more COD, but we did expect something good.

Bungie rested on the laurels of "Creators of Halo" which did backfire on them IMO. (Bungie-era) Halo is a legendary series and Destiny could've done without that added baggage of expectations.

From Software let it be very known that Dark Souls was a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. Fans expected more Souls, but I don't think anybody expected the ambition of Dark Souls interconnected open exploration. So that's another example of leading with the inspiration but letting the game speak for itself once it's in our hands.

• I'm just excited that they're basically making a The Last of Us Part III here. I'm only half joking. For real, the stuff they should looked like it's straight out of ND's playbook. Just the way the action unfolds in third person looks so cinematically pleasing. For sure Callisto Protocol is wearing its influences on its sleeves but I think that's a good thing considering its influences are not exactly the most popular thing rn, and a team that's hungry to prove themselves like Striking Distance would be the perfect candidate to take those influences and just flesh them out even more. I'm fucking scared of horror stuff but I'll gladly support these sort of third person games, and I think it's gonna be pretty great.

• @bam541 said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

I'm just excited that they're basically making a The Last of Us Part III here. I'm only half joking. For real, the stuff they should looked like it's straight out of ND's playbook. Just the way the action unfolds in third person looks so cinematically pleasing. For sure Callisto Protocol is wearing its influences on its sleeves but I think that's a good thing considering its influences are not exactly the most popular thing rn, and a team that's hungry to prove themselves like Striking Distance would be the perfect candidate to take those influences and just flesh them out even more. I'm fucking scared of horror stuff but I'll gladly support these sort of third person games, and I think it's gonna be pretty great.

it should not take inspiraton from naughty dogs. just played uncharted 4. the first 4 or 5 hours you are literally doing nothing.

• @b-cell

You are mentally slow

• @dipset said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

@b-cell

You are mentally slow

I beat uncharted 4. during first 4 or 5 hours theres barely any game. means you are not doing anything. the prologue with child nathan was dragged, the underwater segment was boring, the italy level was also walking simulator for most part.

• @b-cell

You have the attention span of a toddler then.

@b-cell

I think you're being a bit unfair there, I heard a number of people bring up similar complaint, specifically about the fourth instalment , when it came out.

• @sheria said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

@dipset said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

@b-cell

I think you're being a bit unfair there, I heard a number of people bring up similar complaint, specifically about the fourth instalment , when it came out.

It may came out 2016 but I played it recently since it was released on PC. and yes its not a game. its a movie with ocassional gameplay.

you are doing nothing and I realy hate this cinematic slow walking crap. same reason why I hated GOW 2018.

Spiderman is only good sony exclusive so far imo.

• @b-cell said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

@sheria said in Is Callisto Protocol Dead Space But?:

@b-cell

It may came out 2016 but I played it recently since it was released on PC. and yes its not a game. its a movie with ocassional gameplay.

you are doing nothing and I realy hate this cinematic slow walking crap. same reason why I hated GOW 2018.

Spiderman is only good sony exclusive so far imo.

I personally enjoyed Uncharted 4 for what it was but at the same time I could understand where some people were coming from with regards to how different the pacing was comparted to the previous four games.

@b-cell

Not one single person on the planet complained about "not doing anything" in the first 5 hours or it being a walking simulator with "no gameplay".

Likewise, nobody complained about not doing anything in GoW 2018.

@b-cell

Not one single person on the planet complained about "not doing anything" in the first 5 hours or it being a walking simulator with "no gameplay".

You're being too literal. It took me 10 secs to find someone basically saying what he was trying to.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/uncharted-4-a-thief’s-wait-when-does-this-game-start.63194/

@b-cell

I respect your opinion.

• @sheria
    To be fair it's Reset Era, they'll find anything to complain about.

• Cool thread about Callisto Protocol.

• I find it rather ridiculous that we can't have a review of this before the actual launch day.

• @sheria NFS Unbound is also out tomorrow and there isn't one single review. I have A LOT more skepticism about Need For Speed than I do Callisto, but I really thought reviews would be out by now.

I'm not twitchy about Callisto because it looks pretty damn good, but it is really strange that we can't check out reviews ahead of time. Not super common nowadays unless they have something to hide.

• Oh I'm not twitchy, I'm still going to get it. I don't like the practice though and it's not just because developers can abuse it, I'd simply like to watch one before I go and pick it up tomorrow, even if it won't change my mind on getting it.

I find it rather ridiculous that we can't have a review of this before the actual launch day.

this is one of few third person games im actually interested it in. and i have seen reddit impression and they are positive.

alt text

although Alan wake 2 is definitely my most hype third person horror title. now thats the game I have been waiting for a long long time.

• So, it's kinda bad?