Port or Remaster

• I'm keen to know which of these three people are more supportive of, so let's exclude remakes from this for now.

Crisis Core is set to come out soon on PS5, at a cost I notice that is more than the original RRP of the PSP title at the time when it came out.
    Developers have quite a few options available to them when bringing back an old title but it seems Square went more in than out with this one in particular.

It's very common these days for me to hear support and requests or older titles to be bought onto the latest console/hardware because they aren't willing to have or deal with older platforms, in fact it seems to be getting more and more common with each passing year. Exactly what level of 'transfer' they are willing to accept however remains debatable.

Question: There's an old title on an old platform that you always wanted to play and the developer announces it is coming back. Which would you prefer?

1. They completely update the graphics/engine, update the controls and redo a lot of things like audio and voice work.
      The release price is that of a new AAA game
      (Example: Crisis Core)

2. They increase the resolution of the game, improve the audio quality, add and change certain things for supposed 'quality of life improvements'.
      The release price is that of a AA indie title.
      (Example: Chrono Cross PS5)

3. They simply port the game to run on the latest console. The superior hardware will possibly improve frame rate/load times slightly and the game will be adjusted to display OK for widescreen/HD TV's.
      This releases digital only for budget price of $5-$10
      (Example: PS Classics on PS3/PSP/Vita)

• full fledge remake is better than both.

beside on PC. its modding that is free of cost.

• The biggest problems I have with many older titles are low frame rate, bad camera controls and camera shake. Any Port or Remaster that can address these issues is usually good enough for me. But I also welcome any improvements to other areas of a game.

@Sheria Is Crisis Core more of a remaster or a remake? It looks like a remaster to me but I've seen some reviews calling it a remake.

• @shoulderguy said in Port or Remaster:

@Sheria Is Crisis Core more of a remaster or a remake? It looks like a remaster to me but I've seen some reviews calling it a remake.

It's a remaster as far as I can see, just goes a little further than most. It's definitely still got the framework of the PSP title there.

• @b-cell said in Port or Remaster:

full fledge remake is better than both.

Well of course the benifits are obvious, but things like cost do need to be taken into consideration.
    If I wasn't a collector and happy to hunt down the originals on eBay etc, I'd honestly just be content with them dumping all the games in their original form on the online stores.

• I'll take a number 2 please.

• #3 is better than nothing but I guess #2 is best for ease of just getting the game we remember and love with only a few small changes. Should be “easier” than a fully fledged remaster or remake.

I’d kill to just pop my Tony Hawk or SSX games into my PS5 and have it work but that really isn’t going to happen, so I’d happily take a quick little resolution fix for my 16:9 TV and a little small little tweaks and I’m playing SSX Tricky again.

• @dipset said in Port or Remaster:

#3 is better than nothing but I guess #2 is best for ease of just getting the game we remember and love with only a few small changes. Should be “easier” than a fully fledged remaster or remake.

I’d kill to just pop my Tony Hawk or SSX games into my PS5 and have it work but that really isn’t going to happen, so I’d happily take a quick little resolution fix for my 16:9 TV and a little small little tweaks and I’m playing SSX Tricky again.

I've got to say I loved the likes of the PS classics simply due to the affordability. Sure, I owned a lodt of them on disk already but the ability to pick up a bunch on the handheld for portable play was great due to thier average £3-4 price points.

Older games I see popping up as I browse PSN now though just don't seem to compare, I spot things like Romancing Saga 3 or Chrono Cross, think about grabbing it for convenience and then spot the price and change my mind. While never on the UK store, Chrono Cross used to be on the US PSN for about $4. Its remaster clearly has a few perks but I'm just not sure they are worth paying five times the price.

• Is there a possibility of a PortMaster?

• @jdincinerator said in Port or Remaster:

Is there a possibility of a PortMaster?

Clearly remasters don't simply sit just in these three, simplified categories I have concocted, truthfully the amount of effort put into each one can differ wildly so really you need to look at them all case-by-case.

I'd prefer it more simple though, you would have much better consistency. I think "PortMaster" is already a thing, that's what I consider playing an old game on an emulator to be. Consoles were on thier way of having the same thing where you would go into the menu and turn on "smoothing" and things like that and all we really need if you ask me, maybe just bit more control over the emulator options.